Ocean view rooms

tobymurph

Do you know if any of the windows open on the ocean view rooms on any of the ships?  Do some have bigger windows than others?  Would prefer a balcony but they're not available on the cruise Im interested in 

thanks

Edited by tobymurph
typo

13 minutes ago, tobymurph said:

... not available on the cruise Im interested in 

Hello @tobymurph

Which cruise line?

Looking forward to your reply!

Host Kat

IM considering either Holland American or Princess to Alaska but am open to other cruise lines such as Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. Im taking my 23 year old daughter so we may need a bit of action on board as well. I'll post some other questions layer about Alaska as I  haven't been before.   

Detractors of the Infinite verandah cabins on the Edge class ships of Celebrity would say that those are nothing but OV cabins with a window that opens.  But in reality, it has been generations since the portholes opened on any cruise ship or liner.  EM

• Like 1

tobymurph, Oceanview windows do not open; however, that type of cabin would be our first choice for an Alaska cruise; better than a balcony.

The windows on a lower deck and all the way forward might be smaller than those midships (portholes instead of picture windows).  Also, the windows on the very lowest decks might be somewhat smaller than those above.  A good-size window on deck 4 (or similar) would be ideal for seeing the sea and sealife.  We enjoyed that, but spent just about all our waking hours up on a sundeck, watching the view in all directions.

Please keep asking any questions that come to mind!

If I book an ocean view, I hope they would let me know if it’s a room with a porthole or one with a large window?  The ocean view rooms are much less expensive but would love to have a balcony. But as you say Shipgeeks, you don’t spend a lot of time in your room. I just like having fresh air!  I’m thinking Princess cruise line now. 

• Like 1

but spent just about all our waking hours up on a sundeck, watching the view in all directions

We have also done the same.  If there was a Promenade Deck we would position ourselves there as there was more shelter, but close to a door through which we could quickly cut across to the other side should an announcement come on or if the views were better at a given moment.

tobymurph  It depends how you want to spend your time, either mostly outside or inside in a comfy lounge chair looking out.  Folks generally fall into one of the two categories. If you are an "outside" person it really will not matter which stateroom category you have as you will want to be positioned where you can see ahead and /or both sides.

1 hour ago, tobymurph said:

If I book an ocean view, I hope they would let me know if it’s a room with a porthole or one with a large window?  The ocean view rooms are much less expensive but would love to have a balcony. But as you say Shipgeeks, you don’t spend a lot of time in your room. I just like having fresh air!  I’m thinking Princess cruise line now. 

You might be able to tell from deck plans and ship exterior photos which are portholes and which are larger windows.  For safety reasons, typically the lowest deck or two, and the furthest forward cabins on those decks, could be smaller portholes. On deck plans, as well as an indication that they have portholes, you can sometimes gauge this by the curve of the ship structure.  The straight side beyond that curve is frequently where the larger windows begin.  If you have a ship in mind, I could probably help decipher that.  Also, if you are using a travel agent, they should be able to do so.

We sailed on Princess when we did Alaska.  We thought it was very well done.

Good.  We thought the balcony sort of cut off the direct view when we were in the cabin; hence, prefer the OV.  And if you both are able-bodied enough to get out to promenade deck and sun decks, that will be by far the best!  Good luck!

I have experienced only one OV stateroom (HAL Amsterdam), and in that room the head of the bed was directly in front of the window.  So while it allowed light and a close to the waterline view, it wasn't like sitting (relaxing) in chairs with a small table to enjoy this view.

OP, be sure to ask about the configuration of the stateroom that you are considering.  OV staterooms are less pricy for a reason, and if you are on the fence about balcony v OV, and if you can afford the balcony, I would suggest choosing the balcony.  Hoping a balcony becomes available for you.

Which line/ship are you considering? 

• Like 1

In regards to the configuration of the room, if you book a room that will hold 3/4 guests, the head of the bed will be under the window.  I’m fact, on most older ships, the bed is always under the window.  If the cabin only holds two, the beds are often on the side wall, so you can stand by the window.  And the windowsill is deep, so you can store things on it.  But the windows are most often too high to offer a good view if you are sitting in a chair ( unless you are really tall).  An exception is some newer cabins on deck 3 on the M class ships.  They were created from conference rooms, and have extra large round windows.  These are cabins aft of the atrium.  Not all cabins with round windows are portholes.  EM

• Like 2

In addition to getting an OV room, I chose the option where  they choose the room instead of me which is much less expensive. So I assume that means getting the leftovers . Im ok with that as long as its a full window and not a porthole or obstructed view (going on Holland's Konningsdam) Has anyone booked an OV this way? 

11 minutes ago, tobymurph said:

In addition to getting an OV room, I chose the option where  they choose the room instead of me which is much less expensive. So I assume that means getting the leftovers . Im ok with that as long as its a full window and not a porthole or obstructed view (going on Holland's Konningsdam) Has anyone booked an OV this way? 

I just had a look at the deck plans. It appears there are only OV cabins on deck 1 and deck 4. On deck 1 the OV cabins all have a window, but they might be small, since it is considered close to the sea.  And on deck 4 there are a very few OV cabins with floor to ceiling windows, but they are between balconies in front, and lifeboats just behind. Intriguing!  I don't know what I would choose if it were me.

I'm realizing how little I, and I'm sure many here on "Ask a Question", know about Konigsdam, so I'm going to suggest that you post the window question on the Holland America forum (under Cruiselines A-N). I suspect you will also have to read through the whole Inside/OV/balcony preference issue again, but you should be able to learn more about whether the deck 1 cabins have decent-size windows, and what the deck 4 views are like, and perhaps other helpful info.  Good luck!

thanks for your suggestion ship geeks. I discovered by looking at the ship layout, im category F which I think is the first level. I can see where lifeboats are located on the various levels  but what do you think the plus signs mean +?

All of the OV cabins have large rectangular windows with rounded corners.  The majority of them are on deck 1.  There are very few on the other decks.  Those on 10 & 11 are forward facing.  If you have concerns about what cabins look like, I suggest you purchase a membership in cruisedeckplans.com.  It’s quite reasonable and you can earn back the fee by submitting your own pictures.  All the pictures on the website are taken by the owner of the site, or members.  EM

I’m not concerned about the window size, just curious . They will pick the room so I don’t  have a say in what it looks like. I will just go with the flow to excuse a pun. ( I wonder if you can hear the engines from deck one) 

Thanks Essiesmom for your suggestion. 

1 hour ago, tobymurph said:

thanks for your suggestion ship geeks. I discovered by looking at the ship layout, im category F which I think is the first level. I can see where lifeboats are located on the various levels  but what do you think the plus signs mean +?

If the + sign on the deck plans I have is the same as what you see, it indicates connecting cabins; for example, E1020 and E 1024 have a door on the inside wall that they share, and can be left locked, or used by families wanting two adjacent cabins.

Good to know that the windows on deck 1 are a good size.  On some ships they are small.

We sometimes hear engines while "asea", but find it quite soothing; best sleeping ever!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tobymurph said:

If you let them choose the room, you better be happy with the one they choose - portholes ARE ocean view, as are partially obstructed.