Why is everyone still cruising with P&O ?

Yorkypete

Lanzarote, 4* Full Board hotel: £2000

7 nights Iona in a balcony on the Fjords: £1700 (plus £240 OBC, so effectively £1460).

No comparison.

Although I’m one of the rare bread who cruised P&O 10 years ago and vowed never to return, and actually one trip just pre-Covid, and a couple post-Covid,  they have won me around to the point that we will have done 4 in just over 12 months because of how much better they are now than then.

For us everything has improved about P&O over that time. I’m not a cheerleader, I still think the buffet is the worst at sea and the hot tubs should be renamed cold-tubs, but it makes up such a small part of the overall holiday that it doesn’t really matter. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Just be glad you are not going to Catania right now.

One of Europe’s most active volcanos, currently activity been ongoing since 2019, Catania has lived and survived its presence over many centuries. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

7 nights Iona in a balcony on the Fjords: £1700 (plus £240 OBC, so effectively £1460).

No comparison.

Although I’m one of the rare bread who cruised P&O 10 years ago and vowed never to return, and actually one trip just pre-Covid, and a couple post-Covid,  they have won me around to the point that we will have done 4 in just over 12 months because of how much better they are now than then.

For us everything has improved about P&O over that time. I’m not a cheerleader, I still think the buffet is the worst at sea and the hot tubs should be renamed cold-tubs, but it makes up such a small part of the overall holiday that it doesn’t really matter. 

Malta, 4* all inclusive, sea view large balcony, all transfers and entertainment inc flights for two weeks £2,200....no comparison. I'll bet your Iona balcony does not include select fare and drinks plus all costs getting there inc private transport!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Malta, 4* all inclusive, sea view large balcony, all transfers and entertainment inc flights for two weeks £2,200....no comparison. I'll bet your Iona balcony does not include select fare and drinks plus all costs getting there inc private transport!

Same view everyday, repetitive, you have to fly, more expensive than a cruise. No thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

Same view everyday, repetitive, you have to fly, more expensive than a cruise. No thanks. 

Cheaper than a cruise if you include select etc. Same view on a ship on sea days...sea, water, sea, water. Boring.How many cruises are just over £2000 for everything? None for 2 weeks for two people.

2 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Cheaper than a cruise if you include select etc. Same view on a ship on sea days...sea, water, sea, water. Boring.How many cruises are just over £2000 for everything? None for 2 weeks for two people.

It’s not cheaper than a cruise is it, we’ve already covered this and I’ve provided links but you continue to add on extras like ‘select’. 

For someone who doesn’t drink much (like myself) and isn’t bothered where their balcony is on the ship, a cruise is cheaper. I do not choose select and do not need it. 

How about sharing with us some links of this mysterious hotel you love so much?

At least with a cruise you can experience different locations, something new, unlike your expensive and repetitive Malta holiday that costs more than a P&O cruise. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Loving this morning's entertainment Pete , trying to keep up here !

A quick question .. Can you just remind us of how many cruises you had to take before 

you realised the cruises you paid for were boring ?

Also do you think the same could happen to this hidden gem that's in Malta ?🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

It’s not cheaper than a cruise is it, we’ve already covered this and I’ve provided links but you continue to add on extras like ‘select’. 

For someone who doesn’t drink much (like myself) and isn’t bothered where their balcony is on the ship, a cruise is cheaper. I do not choose select and do not need it. 

At least with a cruise you can experience different locations, something new, unlike your expensive and repetitive Malta holiday that costs more than a P&O cruise. 

We did a TA's special. BA flights 3 nights in a Malta Hotel,7 night Greek Islands cruise on Azura. I said to DW ' I would do that again, but would like to do the Agean itinerary.  She said If it crops up again as them if we can skip the Malta hotel and go straight to the ship.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

As you well know I have compared like for like which you do not. My Malta holidays have never cost more than cruises and never will if you include everything. The hotel is not mysterious as I named it many moons ago. I have not added on 'extras' like you say...just compared it fairly. If I exclude all the  so called extras the cost comes down to around £1500.  I cannot continue this with someone who cannot admit that many land holidays are much cheaper than cruises . Thank you for the interesting points you make, though incorrect.

1 minute ago, Yorkypete said:

As you well know I have compared like for like which you do not. My Malta holidays have never cost more than cruises and never will if you include everything. The hotel is not mysterious as I named it many moons ago. I have not added on 'extras' like you say...just compared it fairly. If I exclude all the  so called extras the cost comes down to around £1500.  I cannot continue this with someone who cannot admit that many land holidays are much cheaper than cruises . Thank you for the interesting points you make, though incorrect.

It’s such a shame you’ve got such a hate for a company that you’ll throw out all these prices for random holidays supposedly with the same daily entertainment without providing dates locations hotel name etc (unlike myself). Enjoy your expensive repetitive mysterious holiday in Malta. 

For those looking for some great deals, stopping at various locations for you to explore, great entertainment with comedians and singers (and the odd celebrity), great food and lots to do, I highly recommend a P&O cruise. 🙂

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, kalos said:

Loving this morning's entertainment Pete , trying to keep up here !

A quick question .. Can you just remind us of how many cruises you had to take before 

you realised the cruises you paid for were boring ?

Also do you think the same could happen to this hidden gem that's in Malta ?🤔

With respect I did not say the cruises were boring. I was replying to a post which said hotel seaviews were repetative...just as views on sea days are repetative. I have not counted the number of cruises taken but have been on many lines, fav ship being the Indy. Cruises must number in their 30s. In Malta there is so much to do and the culture and history are never boring. Sea trips, trips to Sicily etc are entertaining.  My only point is that quoting like for like then the land based holiday for a fortnight is cheaper than a cruise of similar length. I am glad you are 'entertained'.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

It’s such a shame you’ve got such a hate for a company that you’ll throw out all these prices for random holidays supposedly with the same daily entertainment without providing dates locations hotel name etc (unlike myself). Enjoy your expensive repetitive mysterious holiday in Malta. 

For those looking for some great deals, stopping at various locations for you to explore, great entertainment with comedians and singers (and the odd celebrity), great food and lots to do, I highly recommend a P&O cruise. 🙂

Sorry, but finally, to quote a price shows a hate for P&O..where does that come from. I could reverse the statement. You love P&O so much that nothing can compare to a floating resort .(with repetative ports most of which I have already explored) . Bye.

59 minutes ago, kalos said:

Same view on a ship on sea days...sea, water, sea, water. Boring.

So really like for like your hotel view looking out to sea is boring ??

May I suggest a holiday in Switzerland they also have nice 4* hotels 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

Personally I love sea days, we’ve done 2 return transatlantic crossings, across the pacific and will be doing South Africa to Australia next year. I don’t find it boring it’s in my heritage, I like looking out to sea watching the changing wave formations and hoping to see dolphins, whales and different birds.

Have you given up on cruising or just anti P&O due to 2 bad experiences?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, kalos said:

So really like for like your hotel view looking out to sea is boring ??

May I suggest a holiday in Switzerland they also have nice 4* hotels 🙂

But Kalos, Switzerland is mountains.  They are boring. Here is the view from our hotel at Lake Louise. Malta beats it hands down. We were on our way to our Alaska cruise on Celebrity Silhouette.  That was boring as well. 🤣

WP_20170612_14_01_25_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Sorry, but finally, to quote a price shows a hate for P&O..where does that come from. I could reverse the statement. You love P&O so much that nothing can compare to a floating resort .(with repetative ports most of which I have already explored) . Bye.

I’ve quoted prices and backed them up with links and dates. You’ve quoted prices with absolutely nothing to support them. 

Much prefer a lovely well priced cruise ship stopping at multiple ports, great entertainment, food and fun, with no airports and flying to deal with, than an overpriced stay at repetitive Maltas Mysterious Hotel.

Edited by Landon90
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But Kalos, Switzerland is mountains.  They are boring. Here is the view from our hotel at Lake Louise. Malta beats it hands down. We were on our way to our Alaska cruise on Celebrity Silhouette.  That was boring as well. 🤣

WP_20170612_14_01_25_Pro.jpg

Wow !!! That looks brill but I bet it's nowt like Malta's mountains and rivers 

(They do have them don't they )

Sorry to say I prefer Pete's hotel ,even though we have no idea of what or where it is apart

from it's in Malta ..(That if it exists ???)   😉🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This is getting boring

Anyway  we are conflating two separate questions 

Question  1 ,  Why cruise with P&O when there are better cruise lines 

Question 2.   Do land based holidays offer better value. 

• Haha 2

The original question was ..Why is everyone still cruising with P&O ?

I think that was answered ages ago .. People want to ,simple as that .

Why buy a certain beer ,use a certain supermarket  .We all have the choice .

As for land based holidays , I thought mine was brill, so yes it gave value and chances 

are if and when I cruise , hopefully soon ,they too will be just as good thus giving value to me.

Which to me is the best of both worlds .

I have no problem with that so why do others ?🙂

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Spoke to a lady on here this morning who recently went to Malta.  She told me it was filthy with dog mess everywhere and she hated it.  I've not been to Malta since the days of their Libyan tie up but I can confidently inform readers Arvia is most definitely clean with not a sniff of dog mess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

No comparison.

Iona 4 star?!! Don' think any P&O ships are. Maybe some other lines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Our cruise is £1745 each for 19 nights.  And if you find watching the sea boring, don't cruise!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Spoke to a lady on here this morning who recently went to Malta.  She told me it was filthy with dog mess everywhere and she hated it.  I've not been to Malta since the days of their Libyan tie up but I can confidently inform readers Arvia is most definitely clean with not a sniff of dog mess.

The ladies comment is the same comment that I made in 1982 and I have not been back to Malta since, we didn't even bother to get off the ship when we were on a cruise that went into Malta.

I am really surprised that it hasn't impoved over the intervening years.  Someone once said to me that people either love or hate Malta.