Passport Renewal

BND

Ok so they received my passport on April 20th.  They contacted me on July 23 that I needed to send them a new picture (my fault I did it at home, now I know better).  I sent it out July 24th.  Anybody had this issue.  Anyone have any idea how much time this will add to my "processing time".  Any info would be appreciated.  Not cruising until October but you know...it is the government.

Thanks!!

Our old passports and cards were returned yesterday.  That's good, but they did not appear in the USPS informed delivery email.  Also, the envelopes were not secure at all - the flap could easily be pulled apart and resealed.  The adhesion was good enough for mailing, but not for security.

DD's application is still In Process.

I notice something missing from some of these posts.   How many of you put your travel date down when you applied?  I ask because I am seeing some waiting for months to get their passport. That makes sense if your travel dates are months away.

And those leaving within a few weeks may rightfully be getting priority.

6 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

I notice something missing from some of these posts.   How many of you put your travel date down when you applied?  I ask because I am seeing some waiting for months to get their passport. That makes sense if your travel dates are months away.

Good question.  We listed our travel date as roughly 11 months away from the mail date.  Our renewal took about 7 weeks,

I was wondering if passport renewals were being processed faster for typed (on a computer before printing) vs hand written applications, or for renewals with no changes from the prior passport.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

When I applied for renewal in June 2023, I put my actual travel date, Dec 2023. I sent it in expedited and recived it back 5 weeks later.

Not sure if this helps. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 3:30 AM, Cruisercl said:

When I applied for renewal in June 2023, I put my actual travel date, Dec 2023. I sent it in expedited and recived it back 5 weeks later.

Not sure if this helps. 🙂

I received my old passport back this week so about 2 weeks after I received my new one.

FYI. ☺️

On 8/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, Cruisin'4Us said:

Our old passports and cards were returned yesterday.  That's good, but they did not appear in the USPS informed delivery email.  Also, the envelopes were not secure at all - the flap could easily be pulled apart and resealed.  The adhesion was good enough for mailing, but not for security.

DD's application is still In Process.

DD's passport received 8/16.  Still waiting for her new passport card and the old passport and card to be returned.

WooHoo!!!

Just got the following message...

The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you.

You requested routine service when you applied. Routine service can take 10-13 weeks. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply at a local acceptance facility. You should receive your passport book on or around 08/28/2023.

Sent 4/16/23

Processing 4/20/23

Had to send a new photo 7/24/23

Will check back and let everyone know when I receive it.

GF sent her expedited renewal in on July 17 (she lost track of time and I had just made final payment for a Nov-Dec cruise) and the State Dept's guidance was that we should get it with a bit of time to spare. She got it back in about four weeks. Now we're planning an October trip to Quebec City, most because we can.

• Like 1

Just an update on passport renewal times, for those that are waiting for theirs. I sent off for my expedited passport renewal on August 5 for an upcoming Panorama cruise in October, though mostly for a land based Mexico vacay in January since a passport isn't required for my cruise, and they received it Aug 9 (St. Louis to PA). On Aug 20, my status showed "Approved", and I had my passport the next day. I did not pay for priority shipping so the quick return surprised me. Less than two week turn-around surprised me even more, though! I wonder if the government is finally getting their act together...🤔🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Maybe there’s hope for me, I sent in renewal which was received by them 7/7. Would 

have sent sooner but needed on cruise that included Canada stop. Sent for express, and express shipping. Travel date is 9/2/23, just called the two week update line yesterday, still pending so far.

49 minutes ago, Bers said:

Just an update on passport renewal times, for those that are waiting for theirs. I sent off for my expedited passport renewal on August 5 for an upcoming Panorama cruise in October, though mostly for a land based Mexico vacay in January since a passport isn't required for my cruise, and they received it Aug 9 (St. Louis to PA). On Aug 20, my status showed "Approved", and I had my passport the next day. I did not pay for priority shipping so the quick return surprised me. Less than two week turn-around surprised me even more, though! I wonder if the government is finally getting their act together...🤔🤣

You got LUCKY!

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Bers said:

I sent off for my expedited passport renewal -On Aug 20, my status showed "Approved", and I had my passport the next day. 

How did you expedite it?

With a service or just regularly through the mail?

If the latter what address did you send it to?? 

TIA

2 minutes ago, Trueblueky said:

We used regular mail, no rush, this year, and it took six weeks. Whatever the delay was must be over.

Same, signed up for the email notifications but never got one email, seven weeks from being sent to back in my hands, no expedite or rushing.

4 hours ago, Bers said:

Where did you renew from ?  I'm guessing that could make a difference.

I recently paid the expedite fee, plus fast return shipping, plus paid to have it express mailed in (to the PA office) for my passport renewal.  New passport was mailed out two weeks and one day after being received, total turn-around was less than three weeks.  This was early August.

Maybe I got lucky.  Maybe expedited passports renewals are finally actually getting the attention they deserve.

15 hours ago, tree.critter said:

I sent in renewal which was received by them 7/7. Would 

have sent sooner but needed on cruise that included Canada stop. Sent for express, and express shipping. Travel date is 9/2/23, just called the two week update line yesterday, still pending so far.

Hmm, if you didn't pay for the expedited processing, that might be why it is taking longer - it sounds like you sent it express, and paid for express return, but not expedited processing. 

Standard processing is 12-13 weeks, supposedly.