Port in IJmuiden Amsterdam

floridababa

The usual cruise terminal in on Piet Heinkade, in central Amsterdam.  It is 25km North East of Schiphol airport 

piethen.png.04eff150b08a0ae2665f1bde99b553b3.png

Whereas Ijmuiden in 30 km North West of Schiphol and a similar distance West of Central Amsterdam.

ijmuiden.png.626b0e1a16d717b9b0e77c235e18c4ce.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, floridababa said:

How far is this port from Schipol airport?  Is this near the usual port used by Holland America?

You need to take a taxi, IJmuiden is about 35 minutes away.

• Like 1

Do any of our Danish or maritime experts have any idea why HAL is sometimes using Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam for debarkation/embarkation?  My TA next May 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale to Ijmuiden on Zuiderdam ends there.  I want to stay a few days in Amsterdam after the cruise so it would have been so much easier to end there!  Just curious!

Thanks,

~ Nancy

11 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

................................ on Piet Heinkade, in central Amsterdam.  

You spell that name pretty good for an Irishman 😉 For extra bonus points and a HAL key chain, who was Piet Pieterszoon (son of Piet) Hein?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Do any of our Danish or maritime experts have any idea why HAL is sometimes using Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam for debarkation/embarkation?  My TA next May 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale to Ijmuiden on Zuiderdam ends there.  I want to stay a few days in Amsterdam after the cruise so it would have been so much easier to end there!  Just curious!

Thanks,

~ Nancy

Please tell me you are not calling the Dutch, Danish? 😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Thanks,

~ Nancy

Bottom line; has to do with the Amsterdam City Council introducing a 8 Euro per pax, per day tourist tax for cruise ships visiting my city of birth on 01 Jan 2019. IJmuiden, btw, the gateway to Amsterdam via its locks and the Noordzee Kanaal / North Sea Canal, doesn't charge that kind of tax

MICHELIN IJmuiden map - ViaMichelin 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Please tell me you are not calling the Dutch, Danish? 😁

Oh dear!  I've apparently made a faux pas!!  My apologies @Copper10-8 and to all our Dutch Cruise Critic friends!!!  It must sound to you like people calling San Francisco "San Fran" or "Frisco" does to us locals!!  It's like finger nails on the chalk board when I hear it!!

Thanks for the info on Ijmuiden also....as I kind of figured, it's about the docking fees!!  By the way, what is the correct pronunciation of Ijmuiden?  I googled it and got five different answers!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, oakridger said:

Oh dear!  I've apparently made a faux pas!!  My apologies @Copper10-8 and to all our Dutch Cruise Critic friends!!!  It must sound to you like people calling San Francisco "San Fran" or "Frisco" does to us locals!!  It's like finger nails on the chalk board when I hear it!!

Thanks for the info on Ijmuiden also....as I kind of figured, it's about the docking fees!!  By the way, what is the correct pronunciation of Ijmuiden?  I googled it and got five different answers!

~Nancy

Just having some fun!

"Eye-meyden" is prob the closest you're gonna get - The "ui" is very hard to pronounce for non-Dutch speakers. It's the same pronunciation as Zuiderdam

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You spell that name pretty good for an Irishman 😉 For extra bonus points and a HAL key chain, who was Piet Pieterszoon (son of Piet) Hein?

Thank you for that question 😀 I am now going to spend this evening reading about the 'Eighty Years War' and the 'Battle of the Downs', neither of which had I heard of prior to your 'nudge'. 😉

Isn't it amazing the way that history is taught on a national basis rather than a global basis?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

And who was Hein's staff captain?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

And who was Hein's staff captain?

That would be Witte Corneliszoon de With (28 March 1599 – 8 November 1658). What was the name of his ship during the capture of the Spanish treasure fleet near Cuba? Hint: There is a Holland America Line connection in that name!

Witte Cornelisz de With (1599–1658), by Abraham van Westerveldt.jpg  

51 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That would be Witte Corneliszoon de With (28 March 1599 – 8 November 1658). What was the name of his ship during the capture of the Spanish treasure fleet near Cuba? Hint: There is a Holland America Line connection in that name!

Witte Cornelisz de With (1599–1658), by Abraham van Westerveldt.jpg  

The Amsterdam, but I had Maarten Tromp as staff captain..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

The Amsterdam, but I had Maarten Tromp as staff captain..

Looks like we're both right 😉 Maarten Tromp was Piet Hein's flag captain on the Vliegende Groene Draeck (really cool name; the Flying Green Dragon) during the fight with Ostend privateers in 1629, a battle in which Admiral Hein was killed.

One year before however, in 1628, Witte de With was Hein's flag captain on the Amsterdam during an expedition near Cuba to capture the Spanish treasure fleet. That feat ultimately resulted in the famous Dutch folk song, kinda the unofficial Dutch national anthem, that every Dutchman knows as "de Zilvervloot" / the silver fleet, still sung today in the stadiums where the Dutch national soccer team, aka "Orannje" / the Orange is beating their opponent

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thank you for that question 😀 I am now going to spend this evening reading about the 'Eighty Years War' and the 'Battle of the Downs', neither of which had I heard of prior to your 'nudge'. 😉

Isn't it amazing the way that history is taught on a national basis rather than a global basis?

History - and geography - have always been my favorite topics in school, still are 😉 Math, not so much! 🙃

• Like 1

Interesting history right there guys!
Back on topic, we have a cruise starting from Ijmuiden in June 2024 (Viking Passage), and I have done a little bit of research to get there.

I thinking we'll probably take the bus 382 (35mins trip from Amsterdam Central to the last stop), 10mins walk to the Leonardo Hotel. I've been in correspondence with the hotel and they assure me it's only a 10mins easy walk from the hotel to the cruise pier. So we may go the day before and check out the place.

In the map, note that the pier is on the left side, hotel Leonardo in the middle and last stop for the bus on the right (small blue bus symbols).image.thumb.png.670b5a84c63ade8ead300b7e67ee42c7.png

If anyone thinks this is not doable, please let me know. Thanks.

Correction: my apologies, the bus starts in Amsterdam, Station Sloterdijk, not Amsterdam Central.

Edited by asebastian
Corrected station

6 hours ago, asebastian said:

Back on topic, we have a cruise starting from Ijmuiden in June 2024 (Viking Passage), and I have done a little bit of research to get there.

I thinking we'll probably take the bus 382 (35mins trip from Amsterdam Central to the last stop), 10mins walk to the Leonardo Hotel. I've been in correspondence with the hotel and they assure me it's only a 10mins easy walk from the hotel to the cruise pier. So we may go the day before and check out the place.

In the map, note that the pier is on the left side, hotel Leonardo in the middle and last stop for the bus on the right (small blue bus symbols).image.thumb.png.670b5a84c63ade8ead300b7e67ee42c7.png

Correction: my apologies, the bus starts in Amsterdam, Station Sloterdijk, not Amsterdam Central.

I know it's regularly bad mouthed but HAL usually offers a transfer from Amsterdam to Ijmuiden and in this case I think it has a lot going for it. 

@asebastian do you know if the Leonardo was formerly a Holiday Inn.  It looks like it might be.  If so, it sounds like what the hotel told you was pretty accurate with one caution.  The Netherlands is the land of dikes.  I think the hotel is at dike level but the cruise terminal is much lower. 

When I was there in 2015 there were several nice places to eat near the hotel.  The walk to the area of the ship is on top of the dike and easy walking.  The bus SHOULD also stop right opposite the terminal (at least it did in 2015).  The following sequence of photos follows the passage form that bus stop to the cruise terminal:

dike1.jpg

dike2.jpg

dike3.jpg

You might also check with locals to see how baggage friendly the bus is.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, asebastian said:

If you don't have a lot of luggage you can do it, if you're coming from Schiphol, you need to take the train to Centraal and switch to the Sloterdijk train.

• Like 1