Wonderland dining experience?

We dined in Wonderland when we had the Unlimited Dining Package.  Might it might not again.  We would not pay ala carte; not worth it to us.  It’s cutesy.  There are you tube videos of the dining experience that can tell you about the experience far better than I could in a paragraph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's very subjective.

We (DH, DS and myself) tried it for the first time just a couple of weeks ago, on Anthem. We liked the shrimp, liquid lobster, baby vegetables in the garden and the desserts but we hated everything that else we tried. The texture and taste of the meat main course grossed us out and we thought the halibut was watery and tasteless. We took only a couple of bites of each and were unable to eat any more.

However, I remember SIL saying that she had really enjoyed her visit to Wonderland on Ovation several years ago now, which was what prompted us to try it.

If they had an a la carte option, we might consider going back but otherwise there's no chance.

• Thanks 1

It was fun to try and get photos.

Also dining solo is less enjoyable as the wait staff prefers larger groups and just flow the food out whereas I had to beg for the variety and felt like wait staff wanted to hurry me along. Matter hatter never appeared either.

Do the Le Petit Chef on Celebrity which is more fun and better food.

• Thanks 1

It was fun (mostly for the entertainment factor), but it is a "one an done" for my DH.  I could go again, especially if I have a lot of OBC to use up, but it won't break my heart if we don't go again.  

On a semi related issue, we have done Chef's Table many times over the years, but won't do it again unless they change that tired old same menu they have been stuck with for years now.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For us it was all about the ambience. Two times on Symphony and it was a great experience, two story restaurant, 20 foot floor to ceiling windows, bar and small lounge up the stairway, tables place far apart.  Walked into Wonderland on Ovation and Quantum, looked like a undersized closet, turned around and walked out.  Would only do it again if we had some unused OBC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

For us it was all about the ambience. Two times on Symphony and it was a great experience, two story restaurant, 20 foot floor to ceiling windows, bar and small lounge up the stairway, tables place far apart.  Walked into Wonderland on Ovation and Quantum, looked like a undersized closet, turned around and walked out.  Would only do it again if we had some unused OBC.  

Totally agree...and felt the same way about the placement of Izumi.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

On a semi related issue, we have done Chef's Table many times over the years, but won't do it again unless they change that tired old same menu they have been stuck with for years now. 

We don't do Chef's Table because we don't drink alcohol but this issue of every ship having the same menu, not to mention that it hasn't changed in years, is something that totally flummoxes me. I always thought a Chef's Table menu, by definition, should be at the specific Chef's discretion.

• Thanks 1

A little too fufu for ME!  It's not bad, not at all, I just don't get it!  But yes, it is a must-do experience, at least once.  We go in or have delivered to our cabin some of Wonderland's desserts. They are great!   I'd say go and see for yourself.  You may love it, or not!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

We don't do Chef's Table because we don't drink alcohol but this issue of every ship having the same menu, not to mention that it hasn't changed in years, is something that totally flummoxes me. I always thought a Chef's Table menu, by definition, should be at the specific Chef's discretion.

As it should be...but for some reason they don't change the menu any longer.  They used to change it every couple of months...but now...has been the same for years.  

Totally agree it should be a Chef's choice special menu.  No creativity on Chef's Table at all.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It's very subjective.

We (DH, DS and myself) tried it for the first time just a couple of weeks ago, on Anthem. We liked the shrimp, liquid lobster, baby vegetables in the garden and the desserts but we hated everything that else we tried. The texture and taste of the meat main course grossed us out and we thought the halibut was watery and tasteless. We took only a couple of bites of each and were unable to eat any more.

However, I remember SIL saying that she had really enjoyed her visit to Wonderland on Ovation several years ago now, which was what prompted us to try it.

If they had an a la carte option, we might consider going back but otherwise there's no chance.

We ate at Wonderland on the Ovation a couple of years ago.

As always, they asked: "Do you have any food allergies?"

I said: "Yes...shrimp".

Before the desserts, I had difficulty breathing and had chest pains. Rather than making a scene and hearing "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"...we politely excused ourselves and went straight to the Medical Unit.

The medical staff was incredible...the courteous Doctor clearly rolled his eyes when I told him we were eating at Wonderland...* I was not his first patient from Wonderland.:classic_rolleyes:

Approximately 5 hours later, I was fine and released by the doctor. My medical bill was $1,702.17 

* Fiona, hoping to cross paths with you again someday...safe travels! E.

• Like 1

We had dinner at Wonderland on Symphony and wouldn't do it again. It was not our first time dining in Wonderland.  I have an allergy to shrimp and allowed our waiter to order for us as long as it wasn't shrimp.

We had been to Wonderland on Harmony and felt it was just okay,  but this time we had someone  new traveling with us so wanted to try it again.  I think the biggest problems were the waiter and the Mad Hatter, who was almost invisible because he spent his time talking to the people next to us. They ordered a drink with cotton candy and he brought them a huge bowl of cotton candy.  When he wasn't talking to the people next to us, he was up at the counter where food was prepared.  He just kind of hung out there and didn't spend time with other tables.

Our waiter seemed to be high on something because he lost  his place in what he was bringing us.  We were on the entree and he came again with the liquid lobster and then the "dirt" vegetables. We told him we had already had those courses and he said he knew we liked them so brought them again.

Perhaps things have improved since we were there in January, but it is a don't do again venue for us.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Before the desserts, I had difficulty breathing and had chest pains. Rather than making a scene and hearing "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"...we politely excused ourselves and went straight to the Medical Unit.

The medical staff was incredible...the courteous Doctor clearly rolled his eyes when I told him we were eating at Wonderland...* I was not his first patient from Wonderland.:classic_rolleyes:

Approximately 5 hours later, I was fine and released by the doctor. My medical bill was $1,702.17 

Wow, that was scary AND an expensive meal!

It would be great not just to cross paths but actually to get to meet. 🤞 Safe travels to you too. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Totally agree...and felt the same way about the placement of Izumi.  

Izumi... WOW.... There was a large group of 8 with their table backed up onto the tile flooring of the Bionic Bar with their chairs stuck out into the pathway... I hope they complained enough to get their meal for free. This was on Ovation in Alaska. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

8 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Izumi... WOW.... There was a large group of 8 with their table backed up onto the tile flooring of the Bionic Bar with their chairs stuck out into the pathway... I hope they complained enough to get their meal for free. This was on Ovation in Alaska. 

Worst placement of a specialty restaurant I have ever seen.   Seemed more like a sidewalk cafe/bistro..or worse actually.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, island lady said:

Worst placement of a specialty restaurant I have ever seen.   Seemed more like a sidewalk cafe/bistro..or worse actually.  

Even though I joke it seems like Wonderland and Izumi on Quantum Class were placed in a closet they did not know what to do with. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Even though I joke it seems like Wonderland and Izumi on Quantum Class were placed in a closet they did not know what to do with. 

Agree.   Love the location of Giovanni's and especially the wine bar...but Izumi and Wonderland seemed like an add on that they decided later had to be fitted in.  

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree.   Love the location of Giovanni's and especially the wine bar...but Izumi and Wonderland seemed like an add on that they decided later had to be fitted in.  

Vintages was our go to spot, bartender set my wife up her newest favorite, a Cucumber and Elderflower Gin Martini.  They also made a awesome Negroni. 

• Like 1

Just now, taglovestocruise said:

Vintages was our go to spot, bartender set my wife up her newest favorite, a Cucumber and Elderflower Gin Martini.  They also made a awesome Negroni. 

We hung out at Giovanni's wine bar.   Loved the bartender there...big comfortable chairs for "people watching".    😉   "Pinnacle Lounge" set up upstairs at Music Hall was a joke.  Most of the time loud with bingo games or band practice.  The DL had no atmosphere or view, and terribly small.  

SL was all the way down to the aft,  past a long hallway of cabins .....in another country.  😄 

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Didn't they take ownership of the problem and take care of the Medical Bill?