Multiple apps/entrees in the MDR?

6 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

On the Anthem TA, one night we ordered 3 apps for the 2 of us.  The waiter brought all 3 at the same time.  He told us the next night that he got scolded for bringing all 3 together.  He tried to explain to the scolder that he was serving his customers and that was the proper thing to do.

Crazy. I just can't understand the logic behind this new rule. What is the issue with wanting to have a salad alongside a shrimp cocktail, for example. I was pretty scathing about this in my post-cruise questionnaire.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

What is the issue with wanting to have a salad alongside a shrimp cocktail, for example. I was pretty scathing about this in my post-cruise questionnaire.

Usually, and especially now with Liberty as CEO, it's likely seen as some cost cutting measure. Whenever you have a no cost option, folks will abuse it - so the few who would order 4 apps and touch maybe two of them, ruins it for everyone else who choose/eat sensibly.

• Like 2

Just off Adventure. They wouldn’t bring two apps or entrees at once. We like to order an app each and share the escargots in the middle at the same time. Been doing that for many years. They would not bring the escargots until the other apps were done. Said Royal wanted the food to be served at the “correct temperature” (which was ironic considering the poached eggs on the Benedict in the morning were stone cold).  A table next to us ordered spaghetti as a second entree later in the week. She really just wanted a side of spaghetti with her dish - not a whole entree. Waiter brought it out on the tray with the rest of the entrees but would not serve it until the first was done. So much for “correct temperature”.  The new rule is just causing anger amongst the cruisers and more work for the waitstaff. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised at the anger still. I was happier with the food on radiance than a long time. Steak cooked right, unusual and my fish and chips the fish was crunchy for the first time. I suspect there are also a lot of happy people too, just the bigger eaters posting here or ones who ordered more than one thing to eat at a time. I'm ok one at a time with apps. Dont order multiple entrees or desserts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm surprised at the anger still. I was happier with the food on radiance than a long time. Steak cooked right, unusual and my fish and chips the fish was crunchy for the first time. I suspect there are also a lot of happy people too, just the bigger eaters posting here or ones who ordered more than one thing to eat at a time. I'm ok one at a time with apps. Dont order multiple entrees or desserts.

I had no complaints about the food itself on our last cruise but I'm not a big eater and sometimes I don't want an entree at all; I just want an app and a salad (2nd app) as my whole meal. The salad is the "side" to the other app. And I just don't see why that should be a problem. Having to eat one first before being served the other would be like being told I had to eat my veggies on their own and only then would I get my meat, also on its own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, monorail81 said:

Just off Adventure. They wouldn’t bring two apps or entrees at once. We like to order an app each and share the escargots in the middle at the same time. Been doing that for many years. They would not bring the escargots until the other apps were done. Said Royal wanted the food to be served at the “correct temperature” (which was ironic considering the poached eggs on the Benedict in the morning were stone cold).  A table next to us ordered spaghetti as a second entree later in the week. She really just wanted a side of spaghetti with her dish - not a whole entree. Waiter brought it out on the tray with the rest of the entrees but would not serve it until the first was done. So much for “correct temperature”.  The new rule is just causing anger amongst the cruisers and more work for the waitstaff. 

That's ashame, petty stuff like that will make some cruisers look for another cruise line next time when booking their next cruise.

What is the Royal thinking?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's ashame, petty stuff like that will make some cruisers look for another cruise line next time when booking their next cruise.

What is the Royal thinking?

Right now they are thinking that with their ships currently running at overbooked they are going to try all and every method they believe can save them a penny .... when the pendulum swings back the other way they will make adjustments. That's the reality of it 

Cheers

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 12:20 PM, firefly333 said:

Lobster night 2 guys not together at my table both asked for steak and lobster on the same plate and were told no. They had to eat them separately. 

To bad they didn't talk.   One could have said bring the steak first and the other the lobster.   Then chop each in half.  Do the same when finished with the first plate.  Although I guess one person might want the steak differently.  

5 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Right now they are thinking that with their ships currently running at overbooked they are going to try all and every method they believe can save them a penny .... when the pendulum swings back the other way they will make adjustments. That's the reality of it 

Cheers

That's an easy fix just raise prices once a ship is at or near full and others won't book.

• Like 1

Yet on Liberty this week none of this was an issue.

The section maitre d’ spent a lot of time at the next table bringing special requests to a couple who cruise every few weeks.

A Sous Chef came to a large Indian group nearby and took custom orders directly.

I was cheerfully given my two apps and desserts at the same time.

Clearly the F&B management on this ship at least was far more interested in guest satisfaction than draconian rules.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

To bad they didn't talk.   One could have said bring the steak first and the other the lobster.   Then chop each in half.  Do the same when finished with the first plate.  Although I guess one person might want the steak differently.  

I was at a ten top with 11 chairs. They werent sitting even close to each other. 

As far as going to the maitre d' good grief. I have enough issues getting seating this isnt big enough to waste my time on. Oasis I got bumped from my table and the time before not enough seats for me to sit, and both floor supervisors never gave me a permanent seat. Rcl seems to be having poor quality supervisors enough without me asking for 2 apps .. I want a seat. Lol. Twice they were bad imo. 

Each to his own I guess. This time I was just happy to finally have a good table. 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I agree with you. The food on Liberty recently was very good and I prefer my appetizers one at a time. I ordered two every night and since we had a table for 2 one at a time keeps the table less cluttered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Totally my expeience too! I think people that post otherwise, are just stirring the pot - do not belive them!

If that is the case , if you can't believe the posts we read on here of someone's cruise experience( good or bad) when they were on their ship why should we believe what you posted?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You don't need to belive me - that is easy!

Guess this whole thread is bogus then? Complete waste of time reading it. Carry on..........

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Also I frequently got ice cream along with my cake or pie.

Absolutely no issue doing so.

On Symphony last week, DH asked for ice cream to go with his chocolate cake. They brought out the melting ice cream first,  and then the cake which was too dry to eat by itself 

42 minutes ago, sgmn said:

On Symphony last week, DH asked for ice cream to go with his chocolate cake. They brought out the melting ice cream first,  and then the cake which was too dry to eat by itself 

I really really really hope they stop this ridiculous policy before my cruise.  Some things are just meant to go together.   

On 5/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

Totally my expeience too! I think people that post otherwise, are just stirring the pot - do not belive them!

I too was denied a second entrée until the one I was eating as an app was finished. This was last week on WOS. I have no intention to stir a pot, only to provide what I experienced. I also am not wasting my time complaining about a "fleet-wide" rule to someone in charge in the dining room that has no say over policy. Life is too short for me to bicker with a head waiter over this. Not their fault.

I did notice that neither of my two surveys asked about the dining room service or the food specifically, but it's still early, we shall see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

I also am not wasting my time complaining about a "fleet-wide" rule to someone in charge in the dining room that has no say over policy.

You might have been surprised how fast the "rule" is changed once you question it!

It is far from "fleet-wide" I have yet to run into this rule ( and I always oder multiple ) ....or let's be precise - far from it being enforced!

It's more like a suggestion....that changes once you question it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are just off a TA on the Enchantment and here is how we enjoyed dinner with MTD. First, we requested to be seated in the same section every night and we were. Maybe not at the same table, but we always had the same waiter. The thing we did notice was that in the past if you asked the waiter for something, he usually replied he will see what he can do, and most times he did it. Now we asked for something different and they said that they will have to check with the head guys first. We usually got what we wanted, but it had to go thru the system and up the chain of command.

As for Apps, I always order some form of soup so why would I want another App sitting along with it? Our waiter was great and as soon as I finished one App, the other was right there for us.

As for desserts, we ALWAYS order 2 and we ALWAYS got them together. PLUS, I have always been a fan of RCCL Cheesecake which was always available every day, but not now. I spoke to our maitre'd and sort of asked if I can still get it most nights, and viola, it usually appeared along with whatever other desserts we ordered. 

I would assume each ship makes its own little nuances on the rules.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You might have been surprised how fast the "rule" is changed once you question it!

It is far from "fleet-wide" I have yet to run into this rule ( and I always oder multiple ) ....or let's be precise - far from it being enforced!

It's more like a suggestion....that changes once you question it!

Thanks for that, I appreciate the feedback. I choose the easy path out and quietly left.  This does help to know in the future I can be more insistent.  Just not my style for that dining moment. I hope this gets straightened out.  It's just frustrating.  I'd prefer not to be reprimanded at my dining table and it was not a positive experience for me and the family. Then they want a 10/10 for a survey, oyi!