Curious About Tips

2 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That’s exactly my point. Carnival used to do a better job of explaining that. From our very first cruise years ago we understood that. We always pre-pay and then tip extra, but would still like to know who gets what. If Carnival would do a better job explaining that and not relying on information or misinformation on sites like this, then less people would probably be removing tips.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I forgot to look while we were onboard Glory but a breakdown is provided on the invoice in the Hub App, which someone posted about upthread. What people may not realize is that while a percentage may go to "steward" that doesn't mean that your assigned steward is necessarily receiving that percentage of your tip (and I have seen it stated in tipping threads "well, my steward receives $x from me and he does x number of cabins which totals $y per month and I think that is too much, so I reduce the tip accordingly". I have also seen people say that they object to people they don't see getting a portion of the tips, and use that as the reason to decrease them.). 

@Sparks is correct.  All contract employees get their contracted salary and gratuities amount which is not/should not be public information on an open forum.  The source of their wages is always guests.  

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

I do $51 and random souvenirs from my home town.  You need to step it up.

How about a basket of deodorant and feminine products because they don't have access to any on board.   They trade them like currency. 

. . . And of course some Pringles

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

How about a basket of deodorant and feminine products because they don't have access to any on board.   They trade them like currency. 

I know something else that works better to trade like currency...

it's called currency.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

@Sparks is correct.  All contract employees get their contracted salary and gratuities amount which is not/should not be public information on an open forum.  The source of their wages is always guests.  

I disagree.  A tip/ gratuity is not the same as disclosing a salary of entertainment staff or officers.  By definition a tip or gratuity is an "optional" amount left by a patron for an employee of a business "in gratitude" of their service.  If Carnival doesn't want to disclose how your "gratuities" are distributed, then they should make it a non-optional service charge or add it into the cost of the cruise, without an option to remove it.

Again, I'm certainly not opposed to them, I pre-pay them, have never removed them, and always tip extra.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

My favorite time is giving everyone at Guest Services the stink eye when they're down there pulling tips on the last night.

Maybe one day you'll learn that it's none of your business.

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I disagree.  A tip/ gratuity is not the same as disclosing a salary of entertainment staff or officers.  By definition a tip or gratuity is an "optional" amount left by a patron for an employee of a business "in gratitude" of their service.  If Carnival doesn't want to disclose how your "gratuities" are distributed, then they should make it a non-optional service charge or add it into the cost of the cruise, without an option to remove it.

Again, I'm certainly not opposed to them, I pre-pay them, have never removed them, and always tip extra.

What Carnival doesn't do is tell you how much your particular steward or waitstaff receives nor do they provide a breakdown  of tip distribution in their FAQ. The general breakdown is disclosed onboard as previously discussed. We can say tips are "optional" but let's face it, this is the way tipped employees earn their living, both at sea and ashore. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We can say tips are "optional" but let's face it, this is the way tipped employees earn their living, both at sea and ashore. 

Absolutely agree. It’s optional from the standpoint that Carnival allows people to remove them. When that is allowed and lots of people apparently do it, Carnival has to keep raising the amount to make up the difference.

59 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Absolutely agree. It’s optional from the standpoint that Carnival allows people to remove them. When that is allowed and lots of people apparently do it, Carnival has to keep raising the amount to make up the difference.

I think they are raising the amount so they can remain competitive in a tight labor market. Similar to shore based establishments they are only obligated to cover a certain amount of wages for removed tips and I don't think enough people are removing them for that to happen. One of the advantages of a tip pool is it minimizes the damage done by someone not tipping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'll do your $51... plus your $2 Bill ... plus random souvenirs and local chocolates from your home town... throw in the John Deere hat...

And a "I Love Cruising" t-shirt.

I'll raise you a bottle of local hot sauce.

So that's $51 + a $2, random souvenirs, chocolates from my local place, a John Deere hat and a bottle of local hot sauce.

the-jerk-steve-martin.gif

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I have heard of people removing tips. I wonder how common this is. I think that is so despicable and selfish. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I  give out Pringles I buy at the airport

OK... I'm starting to hear a little pressure here...

I'll do the $51... plus the $2 bill... plus random souvenirs and local chocolates from your home town... a John Deere hat... a "I Love Cruising" t-shirt... a bottle of local hot sauce... and a Pringles bought at the airport.

Anything more, and I think y'all are being ridiculous with your tipping.   

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

OK... I'm starting to hear a little pressure here...

I'll do the $51... plus the $2 bill... plus random souvenirs and local chocolates from your home town... a John Deere hat... a "I Love Cruising" t-shirt... a bottle of local hot sauce... and a Pringles bought at the airport.

Anything more, and I think y'all are being ridiculous with your tipping.   

I cannot EVEN believe that none of you are including the very important long distance calling card. You know—to use at a pay phone when they call home. Sheesh! Bunch of amateurs around here! Oh, and left over Halloween candy…in July. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I have heard of people removing tips. I wonder how common this is. I think that is so despicable and selfish. 

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Fairly significant

From what I've read from insiders and other sources (fancy way of saying that I'm guessing😉) it's likely under 10%. Again, the advantage of a tip pool is that it minimizes the impact to any one employee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

From what I've read from insiders and other sources (fancy way of saying that I'm guessing😉) it's likely under 10%. Again, the advantage of a tip pool is that it minimizes the impact to any one employee. 

Yeah JH may just be pandering when he says it but any time gratuities are mentioned he says the number of guests that remove gratuities and pay nothing is quite small.

19 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

throw in the John Deere hat...

You're going waaaaaay back, lol. It was John Deere lapel pins they wanted to give as tips. Would a hat be a tip upgrade?

John Deere 8430 8630 8450 8640 Tractor Pin Lapel Tractor Pull Articulated  Rare | eBay

Edited by AHS123
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

You're going waaaaaay back, lol. It was John Deere lapel pins they wanted to give as tips. Would a hat be a tip upgrade?

We liked the tractor pin idea so much we started tipping the crew with a tractor cake! Carnival says no more baked goods can be given to crew so I guess we'll settle for the tractor pins.

John Deere on Twitter: "Us: Show me a tractor-themed cake celebrating John  Deere's birthday AI: I gotchu… https://t.co/GWJ1eZYFmG" / Twitter

• Haha 1