Curious About Tips

4 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don't think I have seen a breakdown of who gets what for a few years.

Wondering how many pages this thread will go?

See post #15 on this recent thread and go from there...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2912266-gratuity-breakdown/#:~:text=100% of your gratuities are,enhance your overall cruise experience.

On my cruise in Feb/March aboard Pride, once the gratuities posted to my account I tapped on it and saw this (excluding the percentages and daily amounts; I calculated those and added them here):

Stateroom Steward $26.64 (30.6%, $4.44/day)

Team Dining Services $42.30 (48.6%, $7.05/day)

Alternative Services $18.06 (20.7%, $3.01/day)

With a total of $87 for the 6-day cruise.  

• Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

No matter the breakdown, I typically drop a twenty to the room steward since we have direct contact.

Then I will tip a dollar per drink if they give me the receipt to write it on

I usually do the same, but I can't help thinking about the people working behind the scenes, working in the hot laundry, or the guy burning the garbage in the incinerator, or fixing the clogged toilets, or cleaning the grease traps. . . .Don't these people work at least as hard as the dining room servers, bartenders, drink servers and room stewards?  Yet we tip these people extra because we have direct contact with them.  What about all the forgotten people doing all the worst imaginable jobs?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

No matter the breakdown, I typically drop a twenty to the room steward since we have direct contact.

Then I will tip a dollar per drink if they give me the receipt to write it on

I also tipped for each drink, even though I had Cheers.  I basically only had 3 bartenders the whole cruise, and they absolutely gave me better service because of the extra tips.  For the stateroom attendant, I tipped him an extra $50 early in the trip because I cruised solo.  It was the same amount of work for him whether it was 1 person or 2 in the cabin, and the auto-gratuity from my cabin was essentially cut in half, so I felt I needed to account for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Does anyone know what the break down of tips are as to who gets what and how much?  I wonder what percentage the cabin steward gets.  We usually give an extra 20 or 30 at the end of the cruise.

The tips are pooled so an exact breakdown isn't possible.

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

What does it matter what the breakdown is? 

Some of us like to know where the money we work to earn goes. It's a fair question don't you think?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Some of us like to know where the money we work to earn goes. It's a fair question don't you think?

When you leave a tip in a land based establishment you have no idea where it goes, why should it be different on a cruise ship?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

What is the alterintive services?

The folks that clean the public places, the folks that move the luggage on embark/debark day, and others that provide services behind the scenes.

14 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When you leave a tip in a land based establishment you have no idea where it goes, why should it be different on a cruise ship?

That's not quite true.  Speaking as someone who was a server.  Our tips were divided with the hostess. Working in a small restaurant with mo hostess,  I kept the entire tip.  I don't see the harm in asking where OUR money is being  distributed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

That's not quite true.  Speaking as someone who was a server.  Our tips were divided with the hostess. Working in a small restaurant with mo hostess,  I kept the entire tip.  I don't see the harm in asking where OUR money is being  distributed. 

Every restaurant handles tips differently and many pool tips among various staff and the customer has no way of knowing how that is done. In some restaurants the waitstaff tips out to the bussers. Your customers had no idea you were splitting the tips with your hostess, nor did they know you kept the entire tip when you worked in the small restaurant. It is no different on cruise ships. When I am obligated to leave a tip I leave it and forget it since I have absolutely no say in how it gets distributed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When I am obligated to leave a tip I leave it and forget it since I have absolutely no say in how it gets distributed.

Ok, good for you. But, I'm just asking a question because I'm curious. No other reason.

BTW, it has no bearing on the tip I leave.  I still typically tip 20%

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

There is a difference in a tip and an automatic gratuity in that sense, at least to me. I have control with tips that I do not have with automatic gratuities. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There is a difference in a tip and an automatic gratuity in that sense, at least to me. I have control with tips that I do not have with automatic gratuities. 

But there is no difference in what happens to the tip itself and that was my point.

• Like 1