World America

Ploppers

5 hours ago, relaxatsea said:

We are booked for May, 2024.  We made this decision after being docked next to the MSC World Europa in Barcelona recently, and being amazed by it.  We have been on MSC six times before, and are aware of the pros and cons, biggest con for us being the poor customer service prior to and during the cruise.

I believe their motto is , "NO".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We’re booked for June 2025 for my wife’s retirement cruise and were lucky enough to snag the Owner’s Suite on deck 16. (We booked way in advance so we could save enough money to afford it 😂!) We did the Royal Suite on Seaside for my retirement cruise, so we’re curious to see how this one compares. The Seaside cruise with Vishnu as our butler and Arthur as our waiter did not disappoint!! 

Edited by EMc&DrS

On 10/7/2023 at 8:58 PM, relaxatsea said:

We have been on MSC six times before, and are aware of the pros and cons, biggest con for us being the poor customer service prior to and during the cruise.

Have a MSC Concierge assigned to you. We did that just before our second cruise to confirm our booking and have since booked the fourth cruise with him. The third cruise was booked while onboard but I transferred that booking to the concierge when we returned home.

I had called the General phone number to see if any information was available concerning a Grand Voyage in late 2024. About three days later the concierge called me to see if he could be of any assistance. No information was currently available but he phoned again about two weeks later and thus we booked the fourth cruise.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/29/2023 at 10:22 PM, GOLDENBONNY said:
  On 10/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, riredsox said:

Actually this American cruiser was disappointed they are Americanizing the ship.

Actually Americanization means McDonalds Starbucks and Hersey, iconic American staples. I found no mention of these being present on World America. Instead:

"Masters of the Sea: MSC Cruises’ classic British pub comes complete with a full-scale micro-brewery making MSC Signature beers on board.
Coffee Emporium: A sleek and modern coffee house that is any coffee connoisseur’s dream, offering some of the world’s best coffee beans and a selection of brewing and serving styles including French, Italian, Turkish and Moroccan.
Jean-Phillipe Chocolate shop and Café: Offering custom chocolates, coffee and other treats in a relaxed café atmosphere."
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2023 at 4:51 AM, capitalbarry said:

booked for October 25, 2025, my 24 MSC cruise

Snap, we are also on this cruise, will be our 3rd MSC cruise.

Edited by mcoler181
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 8:38 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Actually Americanization means McDonalds Starbucks and Hersey, iconic American staples. I found no mention of these being present on World America. Instead:

"Masters of the Sea: MSC Cruises’ classic British pub comes complete with a full-scale micro-brewery making MSC Signature beers on board.
Coffee Emporium: A sleek and modern coffee house that is any coffee connoisseur’s dream, offering some of the world’s best coffee beans and a selection of brewing and serving styles including French, Italian, Turkish and Moroccan.
Jean-Phillipe Chocolate shop and Café: Offering custom chocolates, coffee and other treats in a relaxed café atmosphere."

But if you have been following MSC Builds, the decks are named after ports of call in AMERICA, not just United states, ALL AMERICA, North and South. Ship concept and design will stay mostly the same

57 minutes ago, capitalbarry said:

But if you have been following MSC Builds, the decks are named after ports of call in AMERICA, not just United states, ALL AMERICA, North and South. Ship concept and design will stay mostly the same

Giving something a name doesn’t make it so. 

1 hour ago, capitalbarry said:

For example, Rick’s Cafe Americain in Casablanca was not a cafe. It was a gin joint, a night club and a gambling den.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

For example, Rick’s Cafe Americain in Casablanca was not a cafe. It was a gin joint, a night club and a gambling den.

And what about the restaurant  TK's "French Laundry" isn't even a laundry. I was even more shocked . What is this world coming to ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 4/5/2024 at 2:38 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Actually Americanization means McDonalds Starbucks and Hersey, iconic American staples.

To mee Americanization means removing opera with tribute to Michael Jackson.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

To me Americanization means removing opera with tribute to Michael Jackson.

You got me on this one. A couple of us brought this to the attention of former cruise director Gene Moimoi Young at one of his final coffee chats in the Brooklyn Cafe. He said he tried to get back the opera singers after covid but was finding it most difficult. They found better gigs, even being street artists paid better in Venice than coming back on cruise ships. 

Suzanne * suggests some tips for aspiring operatic artists. There is no lack of interest from cruise lines in search of these talents.

"5) CLASSICAL / OPERA CABARETS. For my opera performance Artists, your opera credits are most important so make sure they are moved to the top of your resume, again noting the opera company and the directors you have worked with. Opera performance has become a welcome addition to cruise line entertainment, most especially the luxury cruise segment.

Accompaniment for an opera cabaret can be dicey on cruise lines, as most musicians onboard today are not the best sight readers of complex charts. There is nothing more beautiful, however, than a classical voice accompanied by solo piano. Pure tones are lovely to listen to and give the audience's ears a rest, so do not hesitate to go in this direction with your classical performance."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/becoming-solo-act-cruise-industry-suzanne-*/

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Having been on royal carribean oasis and having just completed a week on WE (5-12th april) in the Med i feel i have a good understanding of whats good and bad on each line, on the aspects that are similar.

Ship:  Oasis, just a better layout.

Pools: WE, pools huge, deep, warm and so much space around the pools. Including the inside pool.

Outside space : OASIS, this was close, oasis better over all but MSC better around the pools.

Waterslides. WE for me drop slide was fun, never busy.

Dryslide. OASIS, faster and better. 

Decor: WE, looked elegant. Royal sorry but not into brown colour pallet in rooms etc. 

Rooms: Inside both times, WE wins this. Better decor and more space.

Public spaces: Oasis, central park board walk just better.

MDR: Didnt use any on either ship.

Buffet: OASIS. WE food tasty but very European, even though i am a brit i really didnt like the limited selection, plenty of fish though, baby octopus stew for example. Not for me. 

Speciality resturants: OASIS, more choice and cheaper. Mexican on WE was tasty for me but royal beats it.

Price: WE so much cheaper, 

Entertainment: OASIS, diving and ice skating shows smashes MSC all day long. 

Oasis = 6

WE = 4

So over all, OASIS beats WE, if we look at same kinda class of ship. However some parts of WE are much better.

Now if WA goes down the american food route then that would be much better. As the food is what really dissapointed me about WE.

2 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So over all, OASIS beats WE, if we look at same kinda class of ship. However some parts of WE are much better

Thanks for the review.

I have World America booked for 2025 so a lot  of the World Europa info will carry over. Some things will be different, obviously.

Since so many things have changed (improved?) from the first Oasis class ship to the last, it will be interesting to see how MSC changes (improves?) from the first World Class ship to the last.

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Thanks for the review.

I have World America booked for 2025 so a lot  of the World Europa info will carry over. Some things will be different, obviously.

Since so many things have changed (improved?) from the first Oasis class ship to the last, it will be interesting to see how MSC changes (improves?) from the first World Class ship to the last. 

More then welcome. I agree, we went on oasis when she was first built and again after her refit. Much better after her refit. 

Will be interesting to hear about WA esp the food situation as this was the only real let down on our recent WE cruise. Have to say though the pizza on WE was better than Royal as it was made with proper cheese and tomatoes ( tin hat time, sorry americans)......

On 10/28/2023 at 5:51 PM, EMc&DrS said:

The Seaside cruise with Vishnu as our butler and Arthur as our waiter did not disappoint!! 

Our first MSC Cruise in 2019, we had Vishnu and Arthur and of course the ever Italian host Pepe! Together they hooked us on MSC Yacht Club. Arthur and Pepe have certainly advanced quite nicely within MSC. I keep in touch with both Pepe and Arthur. I always check in with them to see if they are on contract for our upcoming cruises. I still follow Vishnu on Facebook, and love seeing what’s going on in Mauritius.