World America

Ploppers

Is anyone else considering one of the early sailings in 2025? To be honest, we have had little to no interest in cruising with MSC in the past, the decor just isn't for us, and we've heard horror stories about the food and entertainment. We're considering the inaugural sailing on April 12, 2025. It seems like they are listening to what American cruisers want and making some changes compared to the World Europa, but everything seems very vague so far. 

Has anyone found any more concrete information?

There are a few articles out there but other than "The Harbor" and a few dining changes, I haven't seen much.

I'm already booked but not sailing until summer 2025.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/03/msc-to-tweak-world-america-for-u-s-market/

https://cruise-arabia.com/2023/03/30/msc-cruises-opens-sales-for-world-america-announces-tweaks-for-us-market/

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, Ploppers said:

Is anyone else considering one of the early sailings in 2025? To be honest, we have had little to no interest in cruising with MSC in the past, the decor just isn't for us, and we've heard horror stories about the food and entertainment. We're considering the inaugural sailing on April 12, 2025. It seems like they are listening to what American cruisers want and making some changes compared to the World Europa, but everything seems very vague so far. 

We are booked for 4/26/25. Didn’t realize we will be on the 3rd ever cruise on the ship.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

There are a few articles out there but other than "The Harbor" and a few dining changes, I haven't seen much.

I'm already booked but not sailing until summer 2025.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/03/msc-to-tweak-world-america-for-u-s-market/

https://cruise-arabia.com/2023/03/30/msc-cruises-opens-sales-for-world-america-announces-tweaks-for-us-market/

Thanks for the links. Interesting. Got me stoked although it's so far off.

If you have never considered MSC in the past and you have heard horror stories regarding the food and the entertainment, what was the impetus to have you contemplating going on the inaugural sailing of the World America?

Personally I would give it about 4-6 months of reviews that would come in from the World Europa and of course make up your mind whether you'll be staying inside the YC or in the general population, assuming of course the reviews that you read meet your expectations.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 8:27 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

Personally I would give it about 4-6 months of reviews that would come in from the World Europa and of course make up your mind

That is very sensible. But many of us simply cannot wait. Definitely would not take inaugurals, but 4-6 months for some is an eternity. We had enough delayed gratification for 70 years, time is just not on our side anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Actually this American cruiser was disappointed they are Americanizing the ship.  I liked MSC for it being different than all other ships sailing from the US, I like the European feel.  I’m afraid they will ruin this one.  I am on the May 3rd sailing. 

25 minutes ago, riredsox said:

Actually this American cruiser was disappointed they are Americanizing the ship.  I liked MSC for it being different than all other ships sailing from the US, I like the European feel.  I’m afraid they will ruin this one.  I am on the May 3rd sailing. 

I agree with you. One of our attractions to MSC is the European ambiance sailing in Europe. I am leery of cruising from Florida with all the negative comments. My fear for the World America is that MSC will do what Costa did with the now Carnival Venezia and build it to a specific market (Chinese in this case.)  Many of the shortcomings expressed about the Carnival Venezia seem to reflect this. We will experience this to see if it is true for ourselves next month.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, riredsox said:

Yes, but for the vast majority of  US cruisers the European menus leaves much to be desired (unsatisfactory). This is echoed by this quote by a famous US writer. "A man accustomed to American food and American domestic cookery would not starve to death suddenly in Europe, but I think he would gradually waste away, and eventually die." Mark Twain So to bring European menus onto ships in the American market is anathema (abhorrent) to the market it wishes to attract.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

They have to be more Americaized to be able to expand here. That will also go for the entertainment. MSC can't depend on the Europeans filling up the Caribbean ships as they add more assets. They have to compete with the big three to grow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

They have to be more Americaized to be able to expand here. That will also go for the entertainment. MSC can't depend on the Europeans filling up the Caribbean ships as they add more assets. They have to compete with the big three to grow.

But the entertainment is far better than Celebrity IMHO.   

41 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, but for the vast majority of  US cruisers the European menus leaves much to be desired (unsatisfactory). This is echoed by this quote by a famous US writer. "A man accustomed to American food and American domestic cookery would not starve to death suddenly in Europe, but I think he would gradually waste away, and eventually die." Mark Twain So to bring European menus onto ships in the American market is anathema (abhorrent) to the market it wishes to attract.

But the food, atmosphere and entertainment are what makes MSC MSC and  my new cruise line.  For the first time ever I have 2 Celebrity cruises booked and 3 MSC.  

I took the plunge and booked the May 10, 2025 sailing, with my Mom. This will be the biggest ship I have sailed, and I am a bit anxious over that, but we booked a YC cabin to be able to "get away" if needed. It will be interesting!

On 10/5/2023 at 9:28 AM, riredsox said:

But the food, atmosphere and entertainment are what makes MSC MSC and  my new cruise line.  For the first time ever I have 2 Celebrity cruises booked and 3 MSC.  

Same with us after last year's cruise in YC aboard the MSC Spendida and this year's MSC Preziosa  cruise in Fantastica. This after sailing with HAL eight years and achieving 4* Mariner status! We like the Fantasia-class as they are still not mega-size ships. Because of this we have booked for Fall 2024 YC on both the MSC Splendida for Greece/Turkey and MSC Divina on the 20 night Grand Voyage. A YC that won't be overcrowded and actually enjoy having the restaurant at the rear so we can walk a bit after eating. But we go back to HAL for a Caribbean cruise in April and then in 2025, a 29 Day Japan and Trans-Pacific crossing.

14 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Same with us after last year's cruise in YC aboard the MSC Spendida and this year's MSC Preziosa  cruise in Fantastica. This after sailing with HAL eight years and achieving 4* Mariner status! We like the Fantasia-class as they are still not mega-size ships. Because of this we have booked for Fall 2024 YC on both the MSC Splendida for Greece/Turkey and MSC Divina on the 20 night Grand Voyage. A YC that won't be overcrowded and actually enjoy having the restaurant at the rear so we can walk a bit after eating. But we go back to HAL for a Caribbean cruise in April and then in 2025, a 29 Day Japan and Trans-Pacific crossing.

Davina was my first MSC.  I enjoyed going to the back of the ship from meals.  At dinner we stopped at our favorite bar for Smokey cocktails and you’re right about the walk back.  It was needed!  Enjoy your cruises!   I will be trying a Hal soon with friends and am looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

I believe that there is a problem with the MSC's Americanization of their ships: They thought they should Americanize the look and feel of the ship and retain their Italian way of doing things... While what should have worked would be the opposite: Retain the Italian look and feel and just Americanize a little bit the way they do things. An example; give little compensation when some moderate things happen. Be proactive with the approach to the client, and those "little nothings" that ultimately would bring a trademark up on a so demanding market. It is not that the US market is infinitely more demanding than Europe. Actually it is the opposite, But Americans in general do demand sometimes different things than us the Europeans...

It’s also the problem that possibly things that Americans have become accustomed to are not expected by Europeans.  People complain they want to move their cruise, or their cabin, add people, subtract people, get a price drop.  Maybe MSC expects people to book what they want, and live with it.  Know what you want before you book.  EM

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are booked for May, 2024.  We made this decision after being docked next to the MSC World Europa in Barcelona recently, and being amazed by it.  We have been on MSC six times before, and are aware of the pros and cons, biggest con for us being the poor customer service prior to and during the cruise.