Are wash rags a special thing with MSC?

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm not European, but I always cleanse my face and remove my makeup with either facial makeup remover sheets (disposable), or with micellar water and cotton rounds (disposable).  I don't feel as if I would ever get washcloths clean in the laundry if I got any significant amount of makeup on them (and I don't use all that much, primarily mascara).

I buy rags specially made to remove makeup and a makeup remover. 

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I wonder how European women wash their face.  I like a new one daily too so not sure what I will do when we go there next summer.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm not European, but I always cleanse my face and remove my makeup with either facial makeup remover sheets (disposable), or with micellar water and cotton rounds (disposable).  I don't feel as if I would ever get washcloths clean in the laundry if I got any significant amount of makeup on them (and I don't use all that much, primarily mascara).

Likewise. I've never considered using a wash cloth to remove make up. I have eye make up removal liquid to use with cotton wool and soft make up removal sheets for my face. Soap, water and a wash cloth would be far to harsh for my face. 

I have wondered on why everyone was so invested in wash cloths, it's make up removal primarily? 

• Like 1

Clearly its a geographic thing.  I won't call it cultural because I think all make-up wearing women would agree that it's best practice to remove said make-up at the end of each day so that the skin can breathe and rejuvenate. When in Europe, I compensated by using what I brought with me to remove my make up.  The whole "when in Rome" thing.  But when I cruise, I want the simple things to be provided for me...AKA wash clothes at my finger tips.  I beg forgiveness in this little luxury (?) and hope that other women can unite in the need...whatever it may be.  Let's not judge those who choose the remove the make up with a wash cloth any more than those who use other means.  As women, we are all in this  fight together to look our very best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Likewise. I've never considered using a wash cloth to remove make up. I have eye make up removal liquid to use with cotton wool and soft make up removal sheets for my face. Soap, water and a wash cloth would be far to harsh for my face. 

I have wondered on why everyone was so invested in wash cloths, it's make up removal primarily? 

I also have liquid eye makeup remover. I don’t use soap on my face. I use a makeup remover with a soft cloth made to remove makeup. Then I use cleanser and splash with water to rinse. 

27 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I stay at a hotel that provides a black wash cloth for this. It's labelled makeup remover.

Yes, I have seen those at hotels before. 

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Clearly it’s a geographic thing.  I won't call it cultural because I think all make-up wearing women would agree that it's best practice to remove said make-up at the end of each day so that the skin can breathe and rejuvenate. When in Europe, I compensated by using what I brought with me to remove my make up.  The whole "when in Rome" thing.  But when I cruise, I want the simple things to be provided for me...AKA wash clothes at my finger tips.  I beg forgiveness in this little luxury (?) and hope that other women can unite in the need...whatever it may be.  Let's not judge those who choose the remove the make up with a wash cloth any more than those who use other means.  As women, we are all in this  fight together to look our very best!

Well said!

On 5/22/2023 at 1:32 AM, Homosassa said:

You can ask for the following and they will be provided:

washcloths

box of tissues

bar of soap for bathroom sink

Just get off Spendida.

washcloths - not provided in room 

box of tissues - did ask for one but was told they don’t carry them anymore. 
bar of soap - didn’t ask so no idea. 
happy cruising!

11 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I wonder how European women wash their face.  I like a new one daily too so not sure what I will do when we go there next summer.

We use our hands and yes our faces get clean. If heavy eye make-up I first use cotton balls with make-up remover. 

Just an OT bit on wash rags or face towels. Decades ago the US market was a bar of soap market. In Europe shower gels were long there. P&G and others found some issues at first it the US as they didnt do well. Turns out the US was a bit prude on washing oneself without a wash rag. In the EU you just squeeze in your hands and go at it. 

Then somebody had the brilliant idea to create and market the "Loofah" so it was marketed as squeeze into the loofah and then got at it. 

I am an American and can attest many people I know cannot shower without wash rags and they are not just washing their faces. In the EU you rarely see them in the showers nor loofahs really. 

This is why in the EU you almost never get washrags in hotels... on the Virtousa we didnt have any. but they had us down as german language, maybe they do the rooms up based on culture too. 

Edited by mousefan73

6 hours ago, Elzacruiser said:

Just get off Spendida.

washcloths - not provided in room 

box of tissues - did ask for one but was told they don’t carry them anymore. 
bar of soap - didn’t ask so no idea. 
happy cruising!

No tissue??  Is that a European thing too?

5 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

We use our hands and yes our faces get clean. If heavy eye make-up I first use cotton balls with make-up remover. 

I have tried just using my hands, but then when I apply my toner with cotton, I would see more makeup on that so I went back to using a face cloth.

5 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

With facial cleanser and our hands.

I have tried just using my hands, but then when I applied my toner with cotton, I would see more makeup on that so I went back to using a face cloth.  I do just use my hands with my cleanser.

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

No tissue??  Is that a European thing too?

no tissue. somewhat.. most major hotel chains in EUR have them.. no local places I honestly maybe see this as a sustainability thing. 

5 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Just an OT bit on wash rags or face towels. Decades ago the US market was a bar of soap market. In Europe shower gels were long there. P&G and others found some issues at first it the US as they didnt do well. Turns out the US was a bit prude on washing oneself without a wash rag. In the EU you just squeeze in your hands and go at it. 

Then somebody had the brilliant idea to create and market the "Loofah" so it was marketed as squeeze into the loofah and then got at it. 

I am an American and can attest many people I know cannot shower without wash rags and they are not just washing their faces. In the EU you rarely see them in the showers nor loofahs really. 

This is why in the EU you almost never get washrags in hotels... on the Virtousa we didnt have any. but they had us down as german language, maybe they do the rooms up based on culture too. 

This was an interesting bit of perspective!

So I'd never expect a hotel or ship to provide a loofah no matter where I was in the world. I wonder if that's the thinking behind no wash cloths? Or more likely just a cost cutting measure...removing them and seeing who cares enough to notice or ask, or if they can get away without them. 

• Like 1

I have noticed that boxes of tissues, on another cruiseline, are now only in the cabin, not the bathroom.  It made me wonder if people were using them as toilet paper, and perhaps tissues are not as workable in the ship's plumbing.  I could be wrong....but I do know that Nothing Other Than Toilet Paper is to be flushed.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What do they use?

well by us we use Tempos and they come in individual packets that are usually in our bags/purses or junk drawers. But boxes of tissues throughout the house is rare, unless one is going through an allergy or cold phase. 

21 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I have noticed that boxes of tissues, on another cruiseline, are now only in the cabin, not the bathroom.  It made me wonder if people were using them as toilet paper, and perhaps tissues are not as workable in the ship's plumbing.  I could be wrong....but I do know that Nothing Other Than Toilet Paper is to be flushed.

This is the explanation I received on MSC.

MSC has the standard toilet paper that can be handled by the ship's plumbing. When tissues were placed in the bathroom, passengers would use the tissues and not the toilet paper and cause plumbing clogs.

Tissues are not provided unless requested by a passenger and then they are placed in the cabin area and not the bathroom.

On other lines, the tissues  are now in the cabin area and may be tucked away in one of the drawers.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, 4sallypat said:

So funny reading this thread - differences between US and European folks 

US and European folks is a blanket generalization. 

It would be more accurate to state travelers who are aware of different practices outside their local area vs those who are limited in experiences, no matter their national origins.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, Homosassa said:

You can ask for the following and they will be provided:

washcloths

box of tissues

bar of soap for bathroom sink

Currently on Divina transatlantic.  Requested washcloths and box of tissues on the second day.  I brought my own bar of soap.

Washcloth was provided but my request for tissues was politely refused.  So I had to provision tissues for myself.

Edited by logan25
Grammar correction

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Last RCCL cruise the cabin attendant told me some people messed up with tissue paper into the toilet so they don’t keep them in the bathroom any longer🤔

• Like 1

MSC have  pump soap dispensers in the cabins at the sink , no need to bring a bar of soap which gets squishy and messy . It smells lovely too. They also provide body wash and a separate shampoo. In YC you get their signature  smell Med lotions and potions as well.

On our first MSC cruise when meeting our cabin steward on hearing our accent she said "oh , you'll want facecloths " and she scooted off to get them . 

We are British , yes I possess some face cloths,  do I use them ? Mmmmmm short answer , No.

Make up remover and wipes. 

On 5/22/2023 at 3:58 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

washrags. 

Yes, you are from the south US. 😊  No offense, honestly, my DH calls them washrags. However, I’m from the Midwest ((Ohio) and they’re known as wash clothes.  Evidently, if you’re from some European countries, they’re “flannels”

All the ssme…many of us (women especially) like to have cloths to cleanse our face with prior to sleeping each night.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's try and sort the difference ---we in the UK (I generalize) use make up removing cloths or pads bought from a supermarket/pharmacy specifically for the job usually in packs of 25 cloths, I would not dream of leaving removed make up on a face cloth wash rag or whatever you call it.. Eye make up is removed in the same way if necessary with eye make up remover pads..

Make up removed we can wash, moisturize whatever we wish to do.

Edited by emmas gran
add
  • Like 3