Solo Traveller in FLL - How much is walkable?

neeuqdrazil

I'm going to be spending roughly 24 hours in Fort Lauderdale next January, and it will be my first time in Fort Lauderdale. (As well as my first time in Florida since the late 80s.) 

I'm a solo traveller, female, mid-40s, who is primarily used to being a pedestrian/public transit user while travelling. 

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street, and I'm thinking about heading over to the 15th Street Fisheries for dinner my one night (based on recommendations on this board, thank you!) Is it actually walkable - are there sidewalks along 15th and 17th, or am I going to need to rely on Ubers/Taxis? 

I am planning on making a run to Trader Joe's, which I know will require vehicular transport, but I'd like to get a sense of whether the rest of my time will be on foot on in car!  

There is a sidewalk along 17th Street. You would beed to walk along storefronts up Cordova Road (past Jell’s Landing and Southport Raw Bar, making a right on 15th Street. 15th Street is mostly condos/apartments on the south side of the street. It’s a couple of city blocks long, but no significant traffic.

If going/coming after dark, I’d probably try to catch a ride, more for visibility than for security/crime concern. I honestly don’t remember the current state of streetlights right there- Ive got 40 years of memories about that particular street, and used to be able to tell you where every crack was.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just noticed your question on Fort Lauderdale. We stay at Embassy Suites or Best Western Oceanside and get around by bus.  The No 40 bus (I think that’s the number) runs along 17th Street and then all along the beach, then turns and goes around the Galleria Mall, before heading back to 17th Street.  It costs 2.00 or 1.00 if you are a senior. There is also a free Beach Express Bus that does this route as well. We always take the bus to the mall when in Fort Lauderdale. The stops are a few blocks apart.

At the Hilton Marina just down the street from you is the water taxi stop. Before or after dinner you could take a nice easy trip on the river. Maybe make a stop on Las Olas Blvd for some shopping. Lots of restaurants along the Blvd We will also be in the area in January next year.

Fort Lauderdale is not very pedestrian friendly in many areas.  Sidewalks start and stop or go nowhere.  I usually stay in the Dania Pointe  area and that is fairly walkable.  I think it is fine to walk during daylight but after dark, take rideshare unless you can see your destination.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Fort Lauderdale is not very pedestrian friendly in many areas.  Sidewalks start and stop or go nowhere.  I usually stay in the Dania Pointe  area and that is fairly walkable.  I think it is fine to walk during daylight but after dark, take rideshare unless you can see your destination.

What? 

There are sidewalks in most places, and especially in commercial areas in Fort Lauderdale city limits ( Las Olas area, downtown, the beach, 17th street. Most neighborhoods have pretty extensive sidewalks, with Harbor Beach being a bit of an exception (but there are few cars in the neighborhood).

Last time, there a few homeless people sleeping along the sidewalks around 17th St.

If walking during the daytime would be ok, at night I would take the bus (not frequent) or Uber.

8 hours ago, FOPMan said:

What? 

There are sidewalks in most places, and especially in commercial areas in Fort Lauderdale city limits ( Las Olas area, downtown, the beach, 17th street. Most neighborhoods have pretty extensive sidewalks, with Harbor Beach being a bit of an exception (but there are few cars in the neighborhood).

The sidewalks end at store driveways in some places and don't pick up.  The area around Oakwood Plaza/Dania Pointe hotels is terrible with sidewalks.

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The sidewalks end at store driveways in some places and don't pick up.  The area around Oakwood Plaza/Dania Pointe hotels is terrible with sidewalks.

That isn’t Fort Lauderdale- that’s Hollywood- different city.

I stayed solo at the Embassy Suites a couple years ago and walked all the way to the Galleria Mall one morning.  As I recall, there were sidewalks the whole way. In January the temps were just fine for the long walk, and I felt very safe walking alone.

There is now free air conditioned van transportation called LauderGo in Fort Lauderdale serving the 17th St, beach and downtown areas.  It replaces the sun trolley which had no AC and charged a minimal fare.  Check out https://www.visitlauderdale.com/listing/laudergo-community-shuttle/18459/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Close enough for cruisers

I think @FOPManwas making the point that sidewalks and sidewalk repair like other infrastructure varies depending on the city.  Budgets including taxes differ from one city to the next.

41 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I think @FOPManwas making the point that sidewalks and sidewalk repair like other infrastructure varies depending on the city.  Budgets including taxes differ from one city to the next.

Yep, And Hollywood, and Fort Lauderdale are not the same place- near each other, yes, but not the same.

53 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Close enough for cruisers

Again, Huh? While it is possible to walk from Oakwood to 17th Street, it would take more time than most people would want to, with the airport a sizeable obstacle.  i have biked it a couple of times- or nearly so. I grew up just north of Port Everglades and biked to a water park called Atlantis, which predated Oakwood. I also biked to the school my mother taught at in Dania.

One place I wouldn’t bike is Dania Beach Boulevard. though spent q good deal of time at the park at the beach- traffic on the road was a bit scary. I do remember walking over the Dania Beach Boulevard  bridge over the Intercostal at some point. I biked of walked 17th street to the beach weekly for a number of years, both before and after bridge replacement.

I am also a solo female cruiser and have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale many, many times over the years.

I agree many areas are walkable. 17th Street is one but just remember to cross at the lights......it is very heavily traveled (traffic). 

And another I area I personally LOVE is Las Olas Blvd and I usually stay at the Riverside which is in the middle of Las Olas. This is a VERY walkable area with lots of shops and cafes/restaurants and right behind the hotel is a water taxi pick up/drop off location. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:25 AM, Lois R said:

And another I area I personally LOVE is Las Olas Blvd and I usually stay at the Riverside which is in the middle of Las Olas. This is a VERY walkable area with lots of shops and cafes/restaurants and right behind the hotel is a water taxi pick up/drop off location. 

@Lois R I stayed at the Riverside last October based on your recommendation (and good TripAdvisor reviews) and loved it and the area!  I'm booked to spend my pre cruise time there next May as well.  I'm usually a solo traveler also.

Thanks for the suggestion and your other comments in other areas of CC as well!!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1