Italy, Croatia, and Montenegro - excursions??

Bbmerzel

I am scheduled to go on my first cruise in July 2023. The cruise departs in Rome (Civitavecchia), and then stops at Olympia (Katakolon), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Sicily (Messina), Naples, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), and back to Rome.

Can anyone recommend things to do at any of the ports or excursions you’ve personally taken and enjoyed? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed so I would appreciate any help! 

We have done Pompeii from Naples and it's amazing.  We're going again in June but this time will do Herculaneum.  Our June cruise will be stopping in Dubrovnik, I booked the little train to the coast and into the town and for Livorno we booked to go to Florence for the 3 hours of free time.  We booked tickets for the Academia to see David.  I've seen him before but I want to introduce him to my husband and some because he is amazing 

When you're in Rome make sure to get to see the Vatican, La Pieta by Michelangelo is incredible, I'm not one to be moved by art but this made me feel feelings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this same cruise last summer and below are the ones we did. Honestly, our absolute favorite was Kotor. Beautiful drive and lots of good food and wine. But all of them were great and we were really happy. Happy to answer other questions if you have them. 

Katakolon, Greece - Ancient Olympia and Archaeological Museum with Free Time (Celebrity)

Corfu, Greece - Perama Beach Swim and Vidos Island (Celebrity)
Dubrovnik, Croatia - 
Walking the Walls (Celebrity)
Game of Thrones & Dubrovnik Tour (Dubrovnik Walking Tours)
Kotor, Montenegro - Small Group Discoveries: Imperial Vineyards and Wine Tastings (Celebrity)
Messina, Sicily, Italy - Castelmola, Wine Tasting and Cannoli (Celebrity)
Naples, Italy - Celebrity Priority Access: Taste of Sorrento and Pompeii (Celebrity)
Livorno, Italy - Wine Tasting, Tuscan Countryside, San Gimignano & Volterra (Driver In Rome)

• Thanks 2

Been to Kotor twice, both times just got off the tender and wandered the walled city.

Dubrovnik is another place to wander.  First time we had a bus tour, second time did the pirate looking ship that took us to the old port.

Definitely go to Pompeii

Corfu we took the ship shuttle into town and wandered.

Livorno..first time did tour to Pisa and Lucca, second time took the Florence on your own tour/bus.  EM

• Thanks 1

Our travelogue might give you some ideas. It’s a beautiful destination.

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Adriatic-Constellation-1---Ven/adriatic-constellation-1---venice.html

Katakolon

As soon as you leave the ship and port gate  you’ll run into many tour operators offering a bus to Olympia for a few €. No need to book an excursion.

Messina

Go to Taormina. If the ship offers a transfer only, that‘s just fine

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Holy-Land-Cruise-01/Holy-Land-Cruise-02/holy-land-cruise-02.html

Livorno

Do the Cinque Terre - fantastic!

https://www.bellaitaliatour.com/tour-category/cinque-terre/

Edited by Miaminice

We don't take excursions, so I can just give you some advice about what to do on your own

For Dubrovnik I would recommend walking the city walls, taking the cable car and/or the taking the 15 minute ferry trip to Lokrum island (Lokrum is much quieter with gardens, wild rabbits and swimming spots) In the old town I would recommend Mea Culpa restaurant for a light lunch, their risotto is amazing and inexpensive for Dubrovnik. 

From Livorno it's easy to take the train to Pisa, Florence, or the seaside town of Viareggio (have done all 3 at different times) 

In Kotor the old town is right by the port, and is wonderful to walk around. You can also take a local bus to the village of Perast, which is really pretty. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

We did this same cruise last summer and below are the ones we did. Honestly, our absolute favorite was Kotor. Beautiful drive and lots of good food and wine. But all of them were great and we were really happy. Happy to answer other questions if you have them. 

Katakolon, Greece - Ancient Olympia and Archaeological Museum with Free Time (Celebrity)

Corfu, Greece - Perama Beach Swim and Vidos Island (Celebrity)
Dubrovnik, Croatia - 
Walking the Walls (Celebrity)
Game of Thrones & Dubrovnik Tour (Dubrovnik Walking Tours)
Kotor, Montenegro - Small Group Discoveries: Imperial Vineyards and Wine Tastings (Celebrity)
Messina, Sicily, Italy - Castelmola, Wine Tasting and Cannoli (Celebrity)
Naples, Italy - Celebrity Priority Access: Taste of Sorrento and Pompeii (Celebrity)
Livorno, Italy - Wine Tasting, Tuscan Countryside, San Gimignano & Volterra (Driver In Rome)

Thank you, this is so helpful! Did you visit any beaches?

22 minutes ago, Bbmerzel said:

We're doing the same cruise this September. I think we're planning on Corfu being our beach stop, beautiful island and some wonderful beaches around. 

10 hours ago, HWC_Mom said:

We have done Pompeii from Naples and it's amazing.  We're going again in June but this time will do Herculaneum.  Our June cruise will be stopping in Dubrovnik, I booked the little train to the coast and into the town and for Livorno we booked to go to Florence for the 3 hours of free time.  We booked tickets for the Academia to see David.  I've seen him before but I want to introduce him to my husband and some because he is amazing 

When you're in Rome make sure to get to see the Vatican, La Pieta by Michelangelo is incredible, I'm not one to be moved by art but this made me feel feelings.  

Thanks for the recommendations! We already purchased a tour for the Vatican. I am definitely looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, Bbmerzel said:

I am scheduled to go on my first cruise in July 2023. The cruise departs in Rome (Civitavecchia), and then stops at Olympia (Katakolon), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Sicily (Messina), Naples, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), and back to Rome.

Can anyone recommend things to do at any of the ports or excursions you’ve personally taken and enjoyed? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed so I would appreciate any help! 

Dubrovnik:  Walk the old town on your own yet you'd need to get there; the ship will sell a $12/person RT but there is uber and if you're going with at least two people it CAN be cheaper

Kotor: Main city is right there, there's a fortress you can visit which has a lot of stairs

I will just provide a suggestion for Kotor, since this excursion was a highligh of our Adriatic tour. We booked directly with Kotor Speedboat Tours. Visited amazing caves, saw lots of beautiful scenery, went past an WWII era fortress.  And the boat took us into a camouflaged Soviet-era submarine hangar -- something like a cave. We also stopped for a walk at the town of Perast -- very pretty -- and at the tiny island with the church of Our Lady of the Rocks. I really recommend this tour. When you get off the tender ito town, the speedboat will leave from very close by the tender dock. https://www.kotorboat-tours.com/index.php/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ZeaosSY_wIVhRd9Ch0gcwQ_EAAYBCAAEgL-4fD_BwE

203AF153-7652-4832-990F-8C8786D38897.thumb.jpeg.44e3bf0ef32a7c1fa0976e896595d45f.jpeg

EF042D2E-2CBF-485D-BB22-A8E6AFDF6395_1_105_c.jpeg

92A4CE94-D644-4610-98EF-6D4FAAE9DF5C_1_105_c.jpeg

C1D17BD4-4343-443D-BB89-47CD43560C05_1_105_c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bbmerzel said:

I should have mentioned we had a bunch of non-refundable obc and so that is why we went on so many ship based excursions. The Corfu one we enjoyed but it probably was our least favorite. If we hadn’t had the credit for it we would have probably found a beach there. It is a good port for it. 

10 hours ago, afto said:

I will just provide a suggestion for Kotor, since this excursion was a highligh of our Adriatic tour. We booked directly with Kotor Speedboat Tours. Visited amazing caves, saw lots of beautiful scenery, went past an WWII era fortress.  And the boat took us into a camouflaged Soviet-era submarine hangar -- something like a cave. We also stopped for a walk at the town of Perast -- very pretty -- and at the tiny island with the church of Our Lady of the Rocks. I really recommend this tour. When you get off the tender ito town, the speedboat will leave from very close by the tender dock. https://www.kotorboat-tours.com/index.php/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ZeaosSY_wIVhRd9Ch0gcwQ_EAAYBCAAEgL-4fD_BwE

203AF153-7652-4832-990F-8C8786D38897.thumb.jpeg.44e3bf0ef32a7c1fa0976e896595d45f.jpeg

EF042D2E-2CBF-485D-BB22-A8E6AFDF6395_1_105_c.jpeg

92A4CE94-D644-4610-98EF-6D4FAAE9DF5C_1_105_c.jpeg

C1D17BD4-4343-443D-BB89-47CD43560C05_1_105_c.jpeg

This looks incredible - thanks!

We are going on a similar cruise in July. I also would like advice on beaches when in ports perhaps Corfu and one other. Any with beach activities/sports?

Also Bbmerzel mentioned using OBC to book excursions. Can you pay for these in advance using OBC or do you have to wait and book when onboard? 

1 hour ago, Anhe2823 said:

Also Bbmerzel mentioned using OBC to book excursions. Can you pay for these in advance using OBC or do you have to wait and book when onboard? 

If the OBC is from Celebrity, it'll show up in your Cruise Planner and it'll be available for shore excursions, specialty dining, etc.

• Like 1

We did private tours in both Messina and Naples.

Messina was a van of 6 of us and we went to Taormina where we couple disembark on the opposite of the city from tourist buses and nearer to the amphitheater which is not to be missed. After an informal tour, we drove up the mountain to Castelmola (where the buses cannot travel) where we had an amazing lunch at a small family restaurant. Then it was back to Messina for a quick tour of the town including the Bell Tower at the Cathedral. 

In Naples we hired a private limo that took us to both Positano and Sorrento in the morning including an incredible pizza lunch in Sorrento, and then Pompei in the afternoon. At Pompei our tour guide hired a private guide and she showed us around 20 different building/sites in the ruins. Those who took the ship's tours only toured the main market and a few other larger buildings, we saw homes, restaurants, brothels, etc. 

The cost of the Messina tour at the time was comparable to some of the ship's tours. The Naples tour was more, but a) we got a lot more out of it, and b) it was just for the 2 of us. I recall our tour provider could have accommodated up to 6 people which would have made the tour more in line with the ship's tours.

Enjoy your trip!

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 10:42 PM, georgiaguy said:

I'm booked on this tour for next month with small group vs. Celebrity Priority Access.  Did you enjoy the itinerary?  I read a review on cruise critic that they didn’t recommend the tour because they only had 2 hours at Sorrento and 2 hours at Pompeii and they spent too much time visiting touristy shops.   

On 6/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, Pantheral said:

In Naples we hired a private limo that took us to both Positano and Sorrento in the morning including an incredible pizza lunch in Sorrento, and then Pompei in the afternoon. At Pompei our tour guide hired a private guide and she showed us around 20 different building/sites in the ruins. Those who took the ship's tours only toured the main market and a few other larger buildings, we saw homes, restaurants, brothels, etc. 

Could you please share what company you used for the private limo?  What was the approximate cost?  

On 5/27/2023 at 8:32 PM, Bbmerzel said:

Kotor is a small delightful walled city , just do it on your own.

Livorno we did a tour by papillon we did it with 6 others from roll call , fantastic tour started with a 90 min in pisa then we did Florence, they supplied skip the line for admission to see David, had time to walk around shop and have lunch then they took us for free wine tasting in a local vineyard, we travelled in a new Mercedes van. This was 7 years ago cost was approximately a hundred per person.

Naples I would visit Pompeii then have some pizza in the city .