Bringing Sodas onboard in small cooler

pma29223

I heard that you can bring a pack of 12 cans of Sodas onboard on Carnival. I have a small cooler with wheels on it. Can I put my Sodas in that to bring onboard? Can l put ice in the cooler also? 

The sodas have to be in the original packaging, One 12 pack per person.  If they fit in your cooler it will be OK. 

Not sure about the ice.

We bring ours in our insulated COSTCO "cooler bag" and our Steward is always happy to fill it with Ice once we have it in our room.  We keep it in the shower (when we aren't showering) as it is not 100% waterproof and also tends to sweat.

1 hour ago, K&RCurt said:

The sodas have to be in the original packaging, One 12 pack per person.  If they fit in your cooler it will be OK. 

I’ve never heard that rule. On a three day cruise, I brought six cans of Coke in a small bag in my carry on. Wasn’t a problem. 

It's always better to first check their site to get information directly from them.  Any information shared on here may or may not be accurate.  I did a quick search on Carnival's website and was able to find this:

What is Carnival's Liquor & Beverage Policy?

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to request ID prior to the purchase of alcohol and refuse the sale of alcohol to anyone. 

Bringing Liquor and Beverages On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages that are packaged in glass or plastic bottles.

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12-ounces/354-ml each or less, per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750-ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage. Outside this exception, all liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided. Guests sailing with us on back-to-back cruises are entitled to bring the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

Corkage Fee

Should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, specialty restaurant or bar, a $15.00 USD corkage fee, per 750-ml bottle, will be charged. A corkage fee is a charge that is assessed, at time of service, for every bottle that is served and not bought on the premises.

Bottled Water

For convenience, guests can purchase bottled water prior to the cruise and it will be delivered to the stateroom on embarkation day. Bottled water may also be purchased on board by contacting room service. Once on board, the purchase is non-refundable and guests may take home any unopened bottles.

To ensure we have an ample supply, please visit The Fun Shops™ at www.carnival.com/funshops to place your order before your cruise.

$9.95 USD (plus an 18% delivery fee) for a 12-pack of bottled water (16.9-ounce bottle/500-ml bottle)

$3.95 USD (plus an 18% delivery fee) for 1 large bottled water (50.72-ounce bottle/1.5-liter bottle)

$20.00 USD (plus an 18% delivery fee) for 8-pack of bottled water (50.72-ounce bottle/1.5-liter bottle) 

Distilled Water

Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 800-522-7648, Monday through Friday, 9:00am-10:00pm ET and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am-6:00pm ET.  For purchase on board, please contact room service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

Coolers

Guests are prohibited from bringing large coolers since screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security process. However, for the purpose of carrying small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” are permitted as carry-on luggage.

Purchasing Liquor Pre-Cruise through The Fun Shops

All products sold containing alcohol have a limit of two products per stateroom. On 7 day and longer cruises, there is a limit of one bottle of hard liquor per stateroom and on shorter cruises, pre-cruise purchases are limited to wine, champagne and beer (no hard liquor). A ‘pack’ or ‘package’ is considered one product.

Alcohol purchased pre-cruise through The Fun Shops for on board consumption is designed for in-stateroom entertainment only. Guests cannot take items with them to public areas. Only wine or champagne that is ordered through The Fun Shops can be served in the dining room or Steakhouse. If the item is not consumed on board during the cruise, the guest may take it home provided the bottle has not been opened. 

Our CHEERS! Beverage Program must be purchased for each adult (21 years of age or older) assigned to the same stateroom.

Purchasing Liquor at Ports of Call and On Board at The Fun Shops
All alcohol purchased ashore or in The Fun Shops will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. Items are to be collected in a designated lounge on debarkation morning. Liquor may be subject to Customs duty if it exceeds allowable amount.

While in port, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12-ounces/354-ml each or less per person.

The policy below is for cruise departures from the U.S.; for cruises sailing from Australia, click here

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:42 AM, Essiesmom said:

Yes, as long as the cooler does not measure more than 12x12x12.  Have you read their FAQ?  EM

I remember before covid all the fuss about coolers. People were wheeling on cases of soda and then mad when their coolers were confiscated. Carnival cracked down and that's why such small coolers now allowed. .. people were abusing and looked like the Beverley hillbillies imo. Carnival had to crack down, it was out of hand. 

OP yes yours will be confiscated with wheels. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

Not sure about the ice.

We bring ours in our insulated COSTCO "cooler bag" and our Steward is always happy to fill it with Ice once we have it in our room.  We keep it in the shower (when we aren't showering) as it is not 100% waterproof and also tends to sweat.

No, the sodas do not have to be in the original packaging. They have to be in cans. You can mix and match sodas. You can take 12 different sodas if you wish. You can also buy more in port if you run out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

This is not true. We just toss them rolling carry-on. (we like to bring a variety if favors.) If you bring them in a sealed carton, security may destroy the box to search it. 

I personally would not worry about keeping ice on all the drinks since most cabins now have coolers plus the room steward can bring a beer bucket with ice to keep a few of them cold each day. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Obviously, it is their ship and thus their rules. However, I wonder why a rolling cooler is any more of an impediment to the boarding and security process than a rolling suitcase as a carry on? I wonder if the thick foam insulation is harder to X-ray? Then again, I am old enough to remember when rum runners were all the rage to discuss here on CC.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

Not true. We have a 12x12x12 soft side cooler that fits on top of our rolling carry-ons. We usually empty the boxes and put them straight in there. Considering some people bring on a variety of drinks...

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who corrected my error!

I was apparently mis-informed by the individual at Carnival who told me they had to be in original packaging.  Of course this may have changed from when I was told this as well.

24 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

Thanks to everyone who corrected my error!

I was apparently mis-informed by the individual at Carnival who told me they had to be in original packaging.  Of course this may have changed from when I was told this as well.

to give you and them the benefit of the doubt, is it possible that they said "original sealed containers" (as in the cans/cartons cannot have been opened)?

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

to give you and them the benefit of the doubt, is it possible that they said "original sealed containers" (as in the cans/cartons cannot have been opened)?

I was thinking the same thing!

Yes the verbiage makes it confusing.  What they mean by cartons here though is not the outside cardboard carton that holds the 12 pack of cans.  Some waters are sold in paper type cartons, I believe this is what is meant.  The cans and cartons of liquid itself can not be open in any way (thus prohibiting individuals from dumping them out and filling them with beverages of the adult variety).

We carry a small soft side cooler we bought from Carnival. I usually bring 5 or 6 Diet Coke and same for diet sprite directly in the cooler. ABSOLUTELY NO ICE IS ALLOWED TO BE CARRIED ON BOARD! I usually have enough room left in the cooler I can put our tervis tumblers in so don’t have to put in carry on.

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I doubt 24 would fit in a 12x12 inch cooler

Not true.  My collapsible cooler capacity holds up to 24 cans and measures 11.81" x 9.25" x 9.25".  The only issue I've had is stewards who put too much ice in, and it pops the cooler because some of that ice is sharp. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, Lvwindstar007 said:

We were just notified that for our Horizon cruise departing Miami 8 June(next week), NO water and NO wine can be brought aboard, even in you caryon.  FWIW: Jack in Reno NV

Who notified you?  You haven't been able to take on water (except in cartons) for quite a while.  But, I haven't heard anything about wine.  Where are you sailing out of?

Sorry: I guess I was confused my the email from Carnival that said:

"To ensure our under-21 guests don’t consume alcohol, we require picture IDs and no longer allow guests to bring bottled beverages on board."

I saw that cans and paper cartons with water or soda are allowed in small quantities.

Jack on Horizon this week from Miami.