Using Amtrak to get to Manhattan Terminal

Lady_hlh

We’re doing our first cruise 1/17 to 1/27 from NYC and I am wondering if we could take Amtrak down from Albany instead of driving. Has anyone brought enough luggage/supplies for a 10 day cruise for 2 people then taken a taxi to the terminal? I know we could pay to park at the terminal but my hubby is quite the aggressive driver and if Amtrak would work that would be less stress for me.

26 minutes ago, Lady_hlh said:

We’re doing our first cruise 1/17 to 1/27 from NYC and I am wondering if we could take Amtrak down from Albany instead of driving. Has anyone brought enough luggage/supplies for a 10 day cruise for 2 people then taken a taxi to the terminal? I know we could pay to park at the terminal but my hubby is quite the aggressive driver and if Amtrak would work that would be less stress for me.

The cruise terminal is on the west side in the 50s. 
We spent a few years in upstate New York (just west of Albany) about a decade ago and regularly took Amtrak down for the day. Way better than driving. It’s about 2 miles drive from Penn Station. The challenge will be the luggage and getting the right size storage capacity.

Besides a taxi or Uber, you could look at private transfers (e.g., Execucar). 

• Like 1

I think Uber also lets you book a larger vehicle on their app for the luggage. I wonder if I should also worry about weather and come down the day before but then I have to fit the luggage in a small manhattan hotel room.

if you need more luggage uber can handle it. It's easier to start a trip without the stress of a Manhattan drive. Have one small bag with what you need for the night and change of clothes so you dont need to open a larger bag in a small room. If room is really small ask front desk to store your bigger bag.Or rent a storage locker at Penn Station. But I've not run into a room so small a standard suitcase couldn't fit in the corner.

Edited by herbanrenewal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

I'm not sure of the schedule from Albany but I take a train from DC or Baltimore on morning of cruise - the only exception to my always-arrive-a day-early rule. 

The trains from Albany I think start at 6 am, I guess I shouldn’t worry about a storm so bad that the trains wouldn’t even run.

Have done this many times out of Phila. on Amtrak and N.J . transit . no issue with getting a cab and it will most likely fit .  Don't worry about what might happen assume all will go well that is the most likely thing to happen.

• Like 2

We also wrestle with the driving vs Amtrak.  From Harrisburg, I can actually drive the 180 miles into NYC faster than the trains!  And that assumes the trains run on time...which they often do not!  Another weird thing is that I can usually get a one-way rental car for about the same price (or even less) than a couple of Amtrak tickets.  And than there is the luggage issue.  If driving to the Manhattan cruise terminal (12th Ave around 50th St) I normally drop DW at the entrance along with our luggage, return the rental car, and enjoy the walk back to the cruise port.  When I take the train I must deal with the homeless and scary folks around Penn Station, and try to find a taxi driver that understands enough English to get me to 12th Ave, or rely on Uber (pretty good in NYC).  The last time we took a train into NYC it was to go to the Red Hook terminal (Brooklyn).  The first two taxis in the queue refused to take us (they did not want to go to Red Hook) so we finally summoned Uber!  Only in NYC :).

We again face this dilemma with a September cruise and are still debating the issue.  Do I gamble on the quasi government railroad or my own driving skills?  Tough call.  We recently spent a few weeks in Japan, and using the trains was a complete pleasure.  You could set your watch by the way they kept to the schedule, the trains moved over 160MPH, the ride was smoother than a plane, and the cost was quite reasonable.  We could learn from the Japanese who have had their famous bullet trains back in the 70s!  Here in the Northeast we still have many trains that plod along at 50MPH (on a good day).

Hank

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When I take the train I must deal with the homeless and scary folks around Penn Station, and try to find a taxi driver that understands enough English to get me to 12th Ave, or rely on Uber (pretty good in NYC).  The last time we took a train into NYC it was to go to the Red Hook terminal (Brooklyn).  The first two taxis in the queue refused to take us (they did not want to go to Red Hook) so we finally summoned Uber!  Only in NYC :).

When was this?  Amtrak now goes to the Moynihan Train Hall. Bright, open, and airy. Uber picks up right outside the door. You can stand inside and watch for your Uber. Ride share is pretty well marked. I’ve not seen any issues at Moynihan. Nothing at all like the old Penn Station. 

Forget Yellow Cabs…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

When was this?  Amtrak now goes to the Moynihan Train Hall. Bright, open, and airy. Uber picks up right outside the door. You can stand inside and watch for your Uber. Ride share is pretty well marked. I’ve not seen any issues at Moynihan. Nothing at all like the old Penn Station. 

Forget Yellow Cabs…

Have you been in the city lately?  That part of 8th Ave has not changed, although the interior of the newer facility is an improvement.  When criminals do not pay a price for committing crimes, they simply commit more crimes with no fear.  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We also wrestle with the driving vs Amtrak.  From Harrisburg, I can actually drive the 180 miles into NYC faster than the trains!  And that assumes the trains run on time...which they often do not!  Another weird thing is that I can usually get a one-way rental car for about the same price (or even less) than a couple of Amtrak tickets.  And than there is the luggage issue.  If driving to the Manhattan cruise terminal (12th Ave around 50th St) I normally drop DW at the entrance along with our luggage, return the rental car, and enjoy the walk back to the cruise port.  When I take the train I must deal with the homeless and scary folks around Penn Station, and try to find a taxi driver that understands enough English to get me to 12th Ave, or rely on Uber (pretty good in NYC).  The last time we took a train into NYC it was to go to the Red Hook terminal (Brooklyn).  The first two taxis in the queue refused to take us (they did not want to go to Red Hook) so we finally summoned Uber!  Only in NYC :).

We again face this dilemma with a September cruise and are still debating the issue.  Do I gamble on the quasi government railroad or my own driving skills?  Tough call.  We recently spent a few weeks in Japan, and using the trains was a complete pleasure.  You could set your watch by the way they kept to the schedule, the trains moved over 160MPH, the ride was smoother than a plane, and the cost was quite reasonable.  We could learn from the Japanese who have had their famous bullet trains back in the 70s!  Here in the Northeast we still have many trains that plod along at 50MPH (on a good day).

Hank

Penn Station itself is dreary and ugly .There is talk of a new station hope it happens.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Penn Station itself is dreary and ugly .There is talk of a new station hope it happens.

Amtrak now goes through Moynihan Hall which is the new station and just the commuter trains are still in Penn Station.

5 hours ago, Lady_hlh said:

Another option is Yankee Trails bus which departs from Albany directly to MCT.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Have you been in the city lately?  That part of 8th Ave has not changed, although the interior of the newer facility is an improvement.  When criminals do not pay a price for committing crimes, they simply commit more crimes with no fear.  

Hank

I go to the city at least once a year and took Amtrak in last summer to meet my sister with no issues. My dad grew up in Brooklyn where his parents lived while I was growing up. My parents took us into NYC all the time as kids in the 60s and 70s so to me it is funny when people say how they think it’s so crime ridden now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Another option is Yankee Trails bus which departs from Albany directly to MCT.

We haven’t taken the bus down in a few years now but don’t they just go to the port authority?

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yankee Trails has service to each of the three NY/NJ cruise terminals.

Thanks I wasn’t aware of these buses. Do they leave from the train station parking lot in Rensselaer?

1 hour ago, Lady_hlh said:

Thanks I wasn’t aware of these buses. Do they leave from the train station parking lot in Rensselaer?

If you go to Yankee Trails site there is a link for their cruise express with the information you need. Parking is included in the bus ticket price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I guess it's been October, but yes I have. I'm not talking about hiking up 8th Ave to the PABT at 9:00 pm, although that's probably better than the side streets. I'm talking about going out a glass door onto 33rd Street after calling for an Uber. And I have hauled bags up 8th Ave to 34th/35th, and walked from 8th Ave to Madison and beyond. Yeah, there are more homeless people and you need to be aware. And, yeah, the whole city can be a little weirder than just a few years ago. But nothing like Times Square on my first trip in the late 80's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dolittle said:

The old Penn Station is "gone" as far as Amtrak is concerned. Just commuter trains. There's been a major initiative to renovate the Penn Station and the neighborhood, but it's run into money problems last I heard. 

Moynihan is anything but dreary and ugly.

• Like 1

We regularly take the train from Albany to NYC.  When we have luggage we use the redcap service at both ends of the trip. (You need to request it for the destination. Red cap at originating station will tell you who to request through.) 

There is an organized taxi stand outside of Penn Station on the corner of 8th and 31st. It is across 8th from Moynahan. 

Trains, most of them, that originate in Albany are nearly always on time. Those coming in from the north and west sometimes run late. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I've only been in NYC 5 times in the past 15 months, and walked past the train hall multiple times on each visit.  The new building is cleaner and I didn't see any crimes being committed, @Hlitner

What happened to you there that you responded like this?