Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

Just now, kb4683 said:

I love this!  Mind sharing what you buy?  (photo/name)

I have been using magnets and heavy paper for years to deflect the draft.

Air Filter Material Roll Anti-Dust Air Vent Filters Material for Air Filters Air - Picture 1 of 9
Air Filter Material Roll Anti-Dust Air Vent Filters Material for Air Filters Air - Picture 2 of 9
Air Filter Material Roll Anti-Dust Air Vent Filters Material for Air Filters Air - Picture 3 of 9

It looks a bit like this and called air conditioner filter, it’s literally like a thin mesh you can place over the top I don’t know if it actually does anything. The double sided stickers I use in the corners to hold it do not leave any residue or mark on the unit.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gwendy said:

Just take any magnet, I only use them to hold paper notes.  I usually take the ones I get in my junk mail from local tradies.

If you don't mind spending a little time on Youtube, there are several videos where experienced cruisers give "must have" packing lists and show the items discuss.  Some provide a link to the specific item on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I’ve seen people mention magnets many times. Does anyone have links or pictures to show the type they take please? I’ve had a look and they are so many strengths, shapes, types I wasn’t sure what to pick. TIA 😊 

I think it really depends on what you want them to hold.  If you're like @Gwendy and just need them to hold up paper, any cheap magnet will do.  Others like to take ones with hooks to they can hang their lanyards or other items.  If you want something that will hang a heavier item like a coat, then you'd want a heavier duty one.  Some on Amazon promise to hold 25 or even 100 lbs, but check the reviews as I've read the weight ratings are a bit deceitful (but I can't imagine bringing anything with me that would require that level of hold!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query about magnets. I was thinking it might be good to have some hooks for lanyards & hats, lighter items that’ll just get dumped on the side taking up space otherwise

i will take a look on YouTube to see what cruise vloggers are suggesting too, thanks 😊 

any favourite vloggers for these hints & tips videos?

somone even suggested using magnets to help keep curtains closed to block out light. I’d normally not bother But we’re on a ‘midnight sun’ cruise so this might be helpful for my confused brain thinking it’s time to get up when it’s 3am!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query about magnets. I was thinking it might be good to have some hooks for lanyards & hats, lighter items that’ll just get dumped on the side taking up space otherwise

i will take a look on YouTube to see what cruise vloggers are suggesting too, thanks 😊 

any favourite vloggers for these hints & tips videos?

somone even suggested using magnets to help keep curtains closed to block out light. I’d normally not bother But we’re on a ‘midnight sun’ cruise so this might be helpful for my confused brain thinking it’s time to get up when it’s 3am!

Yes 🙂  Here are some youtube channels that I have found to be very helpful.  The BEST one so far is Tips for Travellers.  CruiseTipsTV had a very well rounded list of items to pack for any cruise and had the video where I saw her show the magnetic hooks and clips.  Eat Sleep Cruise is pretty good as well.  I believe I have watched their video about Viking dining options a few times.  

• Thanks 1

As far as I understand it, the weight a magnet can hold is if it is vertical (i.e., the magnet is stuck to the ceiling with the hook hanging down). Magnets used horizontally (i.e., stuck to the wall with the hook sticking out) only hold a fraction of what is stated. I've found I need to take strong ones (minimum hold of 110 lbs.) as we like to hang out our outfit for the next day before we go to bed or hang things that we've just pressed in anticipation of formal evenings (or whatever they are called now). We also use them at night to hang our bathrobes close to the bed. Two strong magnets back to back can keep the curtains together at night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

binder clips or bull clips can help with that as well - and I've read somewhere that some people like those to clip to the bottom of their shower curtains to keep them moving around and hanging straight down instead of flowing out or attacking your legs!

29 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

binder clips or bull clips can help with that as well - and I've read somewhere that some people like those to clip to the bottom of their shower curtains to keep them moving around and hanging straight down instead of flowing out or attacking your legs!

I take suction cups with integrated hooks to secure the binder/bulldog clip to the side of the tub. 
The shower curtain never attacks us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:10 AM, Sarnia 432 said:

I asked my dentist about using a dental repair kit for one of my crowns, when we were going on an extended vacation.  He said not to use them as the subsequent removal of the crown would be extremely difficult.  He suggested taking polident (a fixative for securing dentures).  Telling me it would hold the crown securely and he would be able to refix the crown on my return.

Fortunately my crown “behaved” and I didn’t need to use anything.

I would double check with a quick call to your dentist to see what is recommended.  Crowns are expensive and you wouldn’t want to damage it.

So glad I saw the posts about the dental repair kits!  Had to get a temporary crown the other day so asked the dentist what to do if one falls out on vacay.  He said plain old toothpaste will usually hold it in until you get to a dentist.  He prefers toothpaste over denture adhesive because if it comes out again before you can get to a dentist, he said the toothpaste is easier to clean out of the crown than denture adhesive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I always bring Cholula hot sauce.  Our servers keep it for us at their station for the duration of the trip.

Screenshot_20230328-130429_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19118c5c73bb4fd26362d799cee8bd33.jpg

I do the same thing by bringing a small bottle of Cholula and leave it in Sabatini's for breakfast.  At the end of the cruise I leave it for them to use.

For the hot sauce fans:

Amazon sells a 96 pack of individual varying hot sauce flavors. Easy to slip one or two in your pocket when going to the dining room or buffet. Around $20, but would make a fun gift.

Side note- I am one of the 30% of Covid victims that lost taste and smell for a week or so. It came back, but changed and reduced. So hot sauce is even more important than ever in my life. 🌶️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

For the hot sauce fans:

Amazon sells a 96 pack of individual varying hot sauce flavors. Easy to slip one or two in your pocket when going to the dining room or buffet. Around $20, but would make a fun gift.

Side note- I am one of the 30% of Covid victims that lost taste and smell for a week or so. It came back, but changed and reduced. So hot sauce is even more important than ever in my life. 🌶️

My brother got me this for Christmas one year.  It has a great variety of sauces.  It's a great way to discover new sauces.  https://amzn.to/3N0RoXA

• Like 1

Travel sized roll of toilet paper, individually wrapped antibacterial wipes (have been on more than one excursion that had only outhouses and no sink), a small first aide kit, a small sewing kit with mini scissors, and a waterproof pouch with a neck lanyard for my cell phone.

9 hours ago, fpsphil said:

Call me a weirdo but I bring my maritime radio scanner onboard. Interesting to hear tender traffic and departure calls as you are leaving port

Where would a person buy such a thing?

11 hours ago, fpsphil said:

Call me a weirdo but I bring my maritime radio scanner onboard. Interesting to hear tender traffic and departure calls as you are leaving port

Not weird at all.  I have taken my scanner on cruises.  Also like to listen to air traffic control.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alwayshome said:

Travel sized roll of toilet paper, individually wrapped antibacterial wipes (have been on more than one excursion that had only outhouses and no sink), a small first aide kit, a small sewing kit with mini scissors, and a waterproof pouch with a neck lanyard for my cell phone.

Depending on the country there may be no toilet paper, no toilet seat, or even no toilet - just a squat hole. I always take a small pack with me on shore. It not only holds anything we might buy but also anything we might need including toilet paper.