Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

We are going on our first Alaska cruise in July. We have done several from Florida and we live on east coast and drive to the port. So in the past we could bring a few extra things. We have always travelled with a fan as the noise is something we have gotten used to and we bring a travel fan, not too big but not tiny either. One time we did see someone bring on a full box fan. We have also typically all brought our own pillows and sometimes even a light blanket.

I know none of these are needed, but obviously we are flying to Alaska and are going to still try to at least bring the fan. Pillows and blanket may not make it. Does anyone else travel with a fan? The noise really does help us sleep. 

Any other oddities that people have brought with them? Just curious as I'm sure we are not the only ones that like their fan and pillows, LOL

And I do know that Princess has for the most part comfortable beds and pillows, just creatures of habit I guess.

I brought my own tea bags (my preferred brand) on my last cruise, but never used them. I found suitable tea flavors at the buffet drink station. Wasn't the best tea, but it did the job in the mornings.

Many people have commented that they do not like the "new" motion sensor lights on the nightstand and in the "hallway" outside the bathroom.  It can be quite annoying for the person still in bed if the other gets up in the middle of the night.  Take a short length of blue painters tape wrapped on a pen or any other type of item that packs easily.  Tear off about 3-4 inches for each motion sensor.  Blue tape removes very easily and will not harm the sensor at all.  I carry this wrapped on a popsicle stick and carry it in my little "emergency" toolkit (a very small plastic pouch with things like ty-wraps, tiny/medium screwdrivers & anything I can think of that might get you out of a bind.)

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Many people have commented that they do not like the "new" motion sensor lights on the nightstand and in the "hallway" outside the bathroom.  It can be quite annoying for the person still in bed if the other gets up in the middle of the night.  Take a short length of blue painters tape wrapped on a pen or any other type of item that packs easily.  Tear off about 3-4 inches for each motion sensor.  Blue tape removes very easily and will not harm the sensor at all.  I carry this wrapped on a popsicle stick and carry it in my little "emergency" toolkit (a very small plastic pouch with things like ty-wraps, tiny/medium screwdrivers & anything I can think of that might get you out of a bind.)

Great tip. Where is the sensor?

• Like 1

In the dressing area by the closet and under the two night stands.  Yes, quite annoying.   I “left” the tapes on.  Hope the next passenger appreciated my gesture.  

I also have a CPAP machine and a dear friend suggested I carry duct tape to “repair” hoses and the like.  NEVER for cabin use!

I also sometimes bring a shallow cardboard box (think 24 beverage can).  I use it as a “drawer” above the closet shelf.  I’m height challenged and am always afraid I can’t see what I place up there.  Very easy to pack/leave in luggage.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

She Who Must Be Obeyed can be odd, but I sometimes bring her along on cruises. 😜

Seriously though, I carry a small bag with my travel tool kit on every trip.  Small Leatherman tool, small Swiss Army knife, small tube of Shoe Goo, small roll of duct tape, some blue painters tape wrapped around a short pencil, a small can of WD40, a couple of shoe laces, and an eyeglass repair kit.

I think I've used just about everything in there at one time or another.

While really odd, I always pack a thermal cup for carrying my morning coffee.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, larrybritt said:

We are going on our first Alaska cruise in July. We have done several from Florida and we live on east coast and drive to the port. So in the past we could bring a few extra things. We have always travelled with a fan as the noise is something we have gotten used to and we bring a travel fan, not too big but not tiny either. One time we did see someone bring on a full box fan. We have also typically all brought our own pillows and sometimes even a light blanket.

I know none of these are needed, but obviously we are flying to Alaska and are going to still try to at least bring the fan. Pillows and blanket may not make it. Does anyone else travel with a fan? The noise really does help us sleep. 

Any other oddities that people have brought with them? Just curious as I'm sure we are not the only ones that like their fan and pillows, LOL

And I do know that Princess has for the most part comfortable beds and pillows, just creatures of habit I guess.

I do bring a mattress topper along with my pillows and blanket (I vacuum pack the blanket). The topper takes up loads of room up but I think it’s worth it.

I also bring a travel fan, mini sound machine and now in the days of Covid a mini air purifier (USB powered). I also bring some air conditioner filter sheets to cover the air con units in the room so extra filtration from possible germs. 

Alongside of course clothes pegs, magnetic hooks, plastic straws, hot water bottle, travel games, mini DVD player, bed bug spray, dental kit, caribina clips, travel lint roller, cool eye ice pack, face masks (N95 and normal), disinfectant wipes to wipe down the cabin when I first arrive) and disinfectant spray (to use on the sink handles after touching them with dirty hands).

I hope my list is not as crazy as screwdrivers, super glue, duct tape and WD40!

• Like 4

Even though there is plenty of food onboard, I like to bring packs of trail mix to have in the cabin.  So handy if you don't want to run down to the International Cafe but just need something quick.

Also a must for me are paper towels.  They have come in handy so many times.  Not just on cruises, but every trip we take.  Always pack or pick up a roll of paper towels.

Just started to bring magnets.  Definitely help more that I thought they would.

After reading replies, I may have to start a list of other essentials.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

disinfectant wipes to wipe down the cabin when I first arrive) and disinfectant spray

We do the same and I'd actually encourage anyone who's motivated to really wipe down some of the most touched areas that you know aren't really getting cleaned. Besides the remote, I mean things like the part of the lamp base, the edge of the chairs, the curves in the trim of the nightstands and tables, etc. You wouldn't believe the (months-old? years-old?) gunk, the stains, and other things we have picked up that you know you'd end up touching and potentially bringing home otherwise.

To answer the fun prompt posed by the question, we've actually brought some of our favorite packaged snacks (like bars or even Pocky sticks) with us for when we go out on excursions or in town and know we won't be getting a snack stop. It's just like a quick pick-me-up for on-the-go.

• Like 1

Just now, snoozecrooze said:

We do the same and I'd actually encourage anyone who's motivated to really wipe down some of the most touched areas that you know aren't really getting cleaned. Besides the remote, I mean things like the part of the lamp base, the edge of the chairs, the curves in the trim of the nightstands and tables, etc. You wouldn't believe the (months-old? years-old?) gunk, the stains, and other things we have picked up that you know you'd end up touching and potentially bringing home otherwise.

To answer the fun prompt posed by the question, we've actually brought some of our favorite packaged snacks (like bars or even Pocky sticks) with us for when we go out on excursions or in town and know we won't be getting a snack stop. It's just like a quick pick-me-up for on-the-go.

Maybe I’m not quite as thorough as that! Makes me think though that I should be wiping more areas. Maybe even walls?

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

I always bring Cholula hot sauce.  Our servers keep it for us at their station for the duration of the trip.

@LACruiser88  Yes! That's great.  Love Cholula!

I hate that the only hot sauce served on ships is usually Tabasco.  No thank you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, larrybritt said:

I have an app on my phone that makes fan sounds.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, suekel said:
2 hours ago, larrybritt said:

Expand  

I have an app on my phone that makes fan sounds.  

My wife and I also need a fan noise to aid with sleeping.  Highly, highly recommend this one.  Sounds way better than a phone app and is more versatile.  Really small too.  It's traveled on almost as many cruises as me!

image.thumb.png.20b4cbd01ebf47ef633ac91e250d86af.png

We live in South Fla and many of our cruises are out of PortMiami, which means we can easily take a lot of extra things with us; no flying. This includes a medium sized, clip-on, rechargeable fan. In addition to using the fan in the cabin, we take the fan with us to the beach or resort that is included in many Caribbean cruises (Perfect Day at Coco Cay, etc.). Clip it onto the umbrella and always have a nice breeze even on the warmest days at the beach.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed can be odd, but I sometimes bring her along on cruises. 😜

I just knew someone would have that line before I saw the posts.  Either this or the other way around with wife mentioning hubby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What seems odd to one may be practical to another. 

We pack diphenhydramine in our medical kit. It has so many uses, seasickness, sleep aid, allergies, contact dermatitis, cough and sore throat...

We also save old clothes to wear on cruises, then donate if still usable at the last port, if practical to do so, or throw out if not.  Makes room in luggage for souveniers,  

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 5

A small roll of black electricians tape for the evil sensors.

Rechargeable (by usb) votive candles.  Great as a soft nightlight kept on the lower shelf in the bathroom by the threshold so toes do not get smushed in the middle of the night.

Real maple syrup.  The elementary school glue served in the buffet at breakfast is simply not suited for human consumption.

A small bunge cord.  As noted above, if it moves and shouldn't, duct tape.  But sometimes a bunge cord is the better choice.

A chip clip with a magnet on one side to hold the Daily Schedule of Events up on the wall.

Recently, a notepad that I have acquired from a civilized hotel chain that still provides such luxuries, since Princess has decided that it will no longer supply same.

A pen that I don't really care about, because I will want to write on the aforementioned pad of hotel paper, and I am sure to lose said pen at some point along my journey.

Lots of ziploc bags.  I never seem to run out of uses for them.

• Like 4