Caribbean night-is the cocunut shrimp, garlic prawns good?

8 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I was planning on missing this night as in juneau, but these both sound really good. Any reviews?

I've always enjoyed them.

Coconut shrimp:

PXL_20221003_190817637.thumb.jpg.e2ab03c8b8b1d5d146ece9d1e0f39eaf.jpg

And Garlic Prawns:

PXL_20221004_193624915.thumb.jpg.9856c5864e2ca93dbaa14951b60ae498.jpg

• Like 1

It's edible/decent but not fabulous IMO.  I recently heard someone talking about how fabulous they were.  Her standards for good shrimp were obviously different from mine.

Edited by bethco
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bethco said:

It's edible/decent but not fabulous IMO.  I recently heard someone talking about how fabulous they were.  Her standards for good shrimp were obviously different from mine.

depends on the ship. We had both on Allure and Oasis, and both were just meh on the Allure, and great on the Oasis.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think what was available in juneau was that special and i will go to dinner in port in ketchikan. Still i’ll play it by ear. I think since we are at the far dock you have to leave early to get the shuttle.

We had to skip that night on Monday as we were in Bermuda and wanted to go somewhere. My husband knowing how I loved coconut shrimp just went to MDR and ordered it for me while I was sitting in Boleros.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bethco said:

This about sums up all the food in RCI main dining rooms... IMO

• Like 1

Just had both on the Oasis.  Caribbean menu was ok but by comparison the worst dinner of the cruise (I actually really liked Mexican night which looked like it would be a bad menu).  Coconut shrimp themselves were tasty but came with a barely edible slaw; garlic shrimp were decently sized and cooked but had an Alfredo-like sauce on them that was not mentioned on the menu (nor in the picture above) and didn’t meld well with the other flavors.

4 hours ago, bwaylvsong said:

Just had both on the Oasis.  Caribbean menu was ok but by comparison the worst dinner of the cruise (I actually really liked Mexican night which looked like it would be a bad menu).  Coconut shrimp themselves were tasty but came with a barely edible slaw; garlic shrimp were decently sized and cooked but had an Alfredo-like sauce on them that was not mentioned on the menu (nor in the picture above) and didn’t meld well with the other flavors.

Never got an Alfredo type sauce on the garlic prawns.  Thinking some sous chef made a mistake.

23 minutes ago, poocher said:

Never got an Alfredo type sauce on the garlic prawns.  Thinking some sous chef made a mistake.

I hope so!  I don’t know for sure what type of sauce it was, but it was creamy/white and definitely not garlic/herb butter.

8 hours ago, poocher said:

Me neither and the pic I posted is typical of any time I've had them. I think you might be right.

• Like 1