Book now or wait?

I am considering booking an NYE cruise on Royal or if that fails a January cruise with Royal. It’s obviously the most expensive time to go but due to sons school we have no choice. I was originally considering Majestic Princess to Fiji but I have received advice that my 13 year old will be bored out of his mind

due to lack of kids even during the school holidays. I have priced Royal and it’s even more expensive than Princess. Do you think I should just book now or take a risk and wait till maybe aug/Sep when peoples final payments are due…there might be someone people that drop out and cabins will become available. Or is this just wishful thinking… any ideas? 

Would your 13-year-old be bored on Princess? Maybe not. This was someone's opinion. During school holidays there will be other kids and Princess has a good Teen Centre called The Beach House. Maybe a few others might let us know how their young teens enjoyed it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I presume it’s Royal Caribbean you are thinking of booking with?

If you are worried about the price going down,they have a price drop guarantee.

Can you explain that Chili?   I know if you change your mind about a RCCL booked cruise you generally lose your deposit.   Princess has not started that practice yet.

• Like 1

I realise I could never book early because I change my mind all the time.  I'd hate to be locked in and something I liked better came up. 

At the moment, I'm researching -

London

Norway

Tahiti

North Island NZ

I'm also following my younger daughter driving her van around Australia.  My older daughter is researching Thailand and USA for Thanksgiving.  

I guess that is why I can book last minute, because I've done all my research. 

• Like 1

It is pretty rare to see cruise prices drop much over the summer school holidays, and especially Christmas and New Years. Considering those cruises have been available for a year already, there would normally only be scraps left by now, but more availability this summer sort of confirms why Princess and Royal are both dropping a ship the following summer.

A single decision of dropping a vaccine requirement to cruise, as it already is overseas, will see any remaining cabins sold out within days. The next call about vaxx requirements and pre-cruise testing will be due in late July, so I wouldn't be inclined to wait for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal.

On our first cruise as a family (Princess), we were concerned that our 13 year old would find it all a bit ho-ho in the teen club. To the contrary, she had a ball and is still in touch with a few friends she made all those years ago. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, fairywren said:

The rule of thumb for RCI is Book Early and watch for price drops. You can also pay a bit extra for a refundable deposit (not available for suites).

The cruises I have been looking at, is you pay double the deposit and if you cancel you get half back.  I like Princess and RCCL equally, but RCCL is pushing me towards Princess even though I still have some RCCL cruises booked.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rassa said:

The cruises I have been looking at, is you pay double the deposit and if you cancel you get half back.  I like Princess and RCCL equally, but RCCL is pushing me towards Princess even though I still have some RCCL cruises booked.

I'm only going by my own experience, for instance I have a RCI cruise booked for November 2024. The deposit was $400 for 2 pax. Refundable. I've never had to pay a higher deposit, because the extra  gets added to the balance at final payment. So if we cancel we are ok and we just wear the extra $200 at final payment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

It is pretty rare to see cruise prices drop much over the summer school holidays, and especially Christmas and New Years. Considering those cruises have been available for a year already, there would normally only be scraps left by now, but more availability this summer sort of confirms why Princess and Royal are both dropping a ship the following summer.

A single decision of dropping a vaccine requirement to cruise, as it already is overseas, will see any remaining cabins sold out within days. The next call about vaxx requirements and pre-cruise testing will be due in late July, so I wouldn't be inclined to wait for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal.

On our first cruise as a family (Princess), we were concerned that our 13 year old would find it all a bit ho-ho in the teen club. To the contrary, she had a ball and is still in touch with a few friends she made all those years ago. 

There are lot of decent cabins still left. Even for NYE on brilliance. Majestic has heaps of cabins left for Jan Fiji cruise. I’m actually surprised myself. 

1 hour ago, Auscruisefam said:

There are lot of decent cabins still left. Even for NYE on brilliance. Majestic has heaps of cabins left for Jan Fiji cruise. I’m actually surprised myself. 

I always think booked cabins can become available for a wide variety of unexpected reasons (like weddings😀)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rassa said:

I thought you where die hard Celebrity Rassa 

11 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought you where die hard Celebrity Rassa 

No Chili just a now and again Celebrity and I have a FCC for one in 2025.   I am also thinking about one of their cruises in Europe on one of their older ships but they are generally expensive and to me not better than RCCL or Princess.  You might have got that mixed up with I like Capt Kate's cat - bugsey.   

Edited by Rassa

19 hours ago, Rassa said:

I think I have missed something, why would you pay double deposit so you can get half back?

On 6/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, arxcards said:

Arxcards, could I ask where you find the information re vaxx requirements and pre cruise testing? Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, jland said:

Arxcards, could I ask where you find the information re vaxx requirements and pre cruise testing? Thank you in advance.

As for the current/future status? Carnival and P&O have communicated to those with current bookings that the current arrangements for vaccination & pre-cruise testing are remaining in place until the end of August (at least). For me, that info came from a Carnival email a bit over a month ago, relating to a Splendor cruise in late July which we have since cancelled.

Prior to the end of August, the cruise lines will know if the requirements are going to be continued or dropped. As far as I know, there has been no decision made yet.

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

As for the current/future status? Carnival and P&O have communicated to those with current bookings that the current arrangements for vaccination & pre-cruise testing are remaining in place until the end of August (at least). For me, that info came from a Carnival email a bit over a month ago, relating to a Splendor cruise in late July which we have since cancelled.

Prior to the end of August, the cruise lines will know if the requirements are going to be continued or dropped. As far as I know, there has been no decision made yet.

Thank you so much for your reply. Australia is one of the few remaining countries continuing with this policy as you know. Madness in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

How can they make something so simple so complicated?

Dot points may help!

In theory they match or reduce the fare up onto you make the final full payment.

Once they have your money they give you an onboard credit for the difference.

I find it complicated when they change things and don’t tell anyone.

You can’t use OBC before the cruise in your cruise planner ,you can’t cash it out once onboard and if you don’t use it you loose it. 

That’s part of the fun with Royal Caribbean, getting short changed and trying to work out how they did it . LOL