NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

14 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Not any more, they don't go in the cabins they just leave leave them on the slot by the door

Yes on my cruise on Dawn in March the daily’s were left in the slot outside the door not in the cabin 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Fyi, I did talk to the steward, then guest services and then finally cleaned the shower myself but don't worry I won't be reducing the tip, I understand that the stewards are struggling.  I also did not solicit or receive any obc.

I thought Cruise Critic was all about posting experiences both good and bad, but clearly you only want good experiences to appear in your feed.

this is exactly what CC is for!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Fyi, I did talk to the steward, then guest services and then finally cleaned the shower myself but don't worry I won't be reducing the tip, I understand that the stewards are struggling.  I also did not solicit or receive any obc.

I thought Cruise Critic was all about posting experiences both good and bad, but clearly you only want good experiences to appear in your feed.

Gotcha!!!!!  You did what you needed to do.

I think there are a lot of us who hear the incessant complaining by cruisers from all Cruise lines.  They are simply chronic complainers.  So, when something pops up like “there were “dailies” left behind (just an example), it’s usually met with eye rolls.

Sorry it wasn’t resolved.  In your situation, I definitely find the phone number for the Housekeeping Manager and let him/her know.

Just saw a video from one of the cruise YouTubers who said he was privy to two fights, the pervasive smell of weed on his deck, and actually had a stranger come to his cabin trying to sell weed.  I think it was a Carnival Cruise.  To me, that’s a bad cruise worthy of complaint.

I’ve been fortunate to have sailed with many Cruise Critic members.  All have been polite, understanding, looking to enjoy themselves.  They (we) overlook some of the minor annoyances as we’ve cruised enough to know that in the grand scheme of things, they really don’t matter.

Then, there are the chronic complainers here in Cruise Critic.  Those of us who have been here a while know who they are, and they rarely change their stripes.  Sometimes I’ll dip my toes in their complaints, but always chastise myself later for doing so.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Gotcha!!!!!  You did what you needed to do.

I think there are a lot of us who hear the incessant complaining by cruisers from all Cruise lines.  They are simply chronic complainers.  So, when something pops up like “there were “dailies” left behind (just an example), it’s usually met with eye rolls.

Sorry it wasn’t resolved.  In your situation, I definitely find the phone number for the Housekeeping Manager and let him/her know.

Just saw a video from one of the cruise YouTubers who said he was privy to two fights, the pervasive smell of weed on his deck, and actually had a stranger come to his cabin trying to sell weed.  I think it was a Carnival Cruise.  To me, that’s a bad cruise worthy of complaint.

I’ve been fortunate to have sailed with many Cruise Critic members.  All have been polite, understanding, looking to enjoy themselves.  They (we) overlook some of the minor annoyances as we’ve cruised enough to know that in the grand scheme of things, they really don’t matter.

Then, there are the chromic complainers here in Cruise Critic.  Those of us who have been here a while know who they are, and they rarely change their stripes.  Sometimes I’ll dip my toes in their complaints, but always chastise myself later for doing so.

I think that this forum is exactly the place for cruisers to review, comment, explain, criticize (Cruise Critic) and otherwise thier experience on their cruise.

I suspect your "chronic complainers" are not all the same person and would reasonably suggest they are all different people so, lumping them up as "the chronic complainers" is not one but many different people sharing their experiences. Everyone has a different experience and they wish to share. That is the entire premise of social media.

I can also say, in broad strokes that there are a lot of defenders or cheerleaders on specific cruise lines and they jump on anyone that has something not so positive to say.

As I see it, everyone is entitled to speak their minds on social media and if is to warn or to share experiences, so be it. They had the experience so it is not up to me or anyone to downplay or make excuses about their experience.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

I think that this forum is exactly the place for cruisers to review, comment, explain, criticize (Cruise Critic) and otherwise thier experience on their cruise.

I suspect your "chronic complainers" are not all the same person and would reasonably suggest they are all different people so, lumping them up as "the chronic complainers" is not one but many different people sharing their experiences. Everyone has a different experience and they wish to share. That is the entire premise of social media.

I can also say, in broad strokes that there are a lot of defenders or cheerleaders on specific cruise lines and they jump on anyone that has something not so positive to say.

As I see it, everyone is entitled to speak their minds on social media and if is to warn or to share experiences, so be it. They had the experience so it is not up to me or anyone to downplay or make excuses about their experience.

Yes and there are a few of these cheerleaders in here that are downright rude in the responses they post.

• Like 25

4 hours ago, njkate said:

Yes and there are a few of these cheerleaders in here that are downright rude in the responses they post.

One of the big issues with some cheerleader is they think all the service improvement suggesters  are not having a good time.

While those same cheerleaders let the standards slide.

• Like 12

Sometimes it's knowing when to escalate and how long to wait (I also usually wait too long) because a part of me is like, "they are overworked."  And then there's a lot of waiting when you call it in.  Will the person come in 30 minutes?  5 hours? 23 hours later? What's acceptable?!  On my last couple of cruises, I don't think we saw our stewards until several days later.  It was definitely not like earlier cruises where they greet you when you first find your room or like a psychic, they are there every morning when we leave the room.

Thank you, OP, for reporting and for updating.  I appreciate it so that I can think back to this post if this happens.  I have cleaned several showers in hotels and am not looking forward to cleaning one on a cruise ship.

• Like 4

FWIW apart from the cleanliness of the room (now resolved) the NCL Dawn is great. She is sailing at full capacity but doesn't feel crowded. The food is generally good, certainly on a par to my previous NCL cruises.

My room is an oceanview on deck 4 which is a perfect size and has all the amenities that I need.  Located where I am I am one of the first off the ship when we dock and have easy access to the staircases and lifts mid ship.

The entertainment is to a good standard, the first couple of days were soul music which isn't really my thing but we are now moving on to rock all of which has been well sung/played.

The weather at the ports so far has been incredible: glorious blue skies and sunshine. This morning we are in Dublin.

I am not a serial complainer, in fact, being British I hate to complain.  This is my first cruise as a Platinum guest and the first time I have had to complain.

• Like 12

On 6/4/2023 at 8:52 AM, BirdTravels said:

Seems like very very very very very minor issues. But it is your right to make it a big deal.. Better taken up with your room steward. 

Nothing is a big deal.  However, why in that case pay cruise prices over, say, camping?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Nothing is a big deal.  However, why in that case pay cruise prices over, say, camping?

Well, there's the ocean, the free drinks, the food, the free drinks, the shows, the music, the free drinks, the port visits, the food, indoor plumbing, a nice bed, heating and air conditioning, new friends to be enjoyed (more than a few tents' worth), a steward who actually does a perfect job 99.8+% of the time and a bunch of other stuff I'm failing to mention.  Did I mention that there is a lot of great food and free booze? 😎🐀

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, there's the ocean, the free drinks, the food, the free drinks, the shows, the music, the free drinks, the port visits, the food, indoor plumbing, a nice bed, heating and air conditioning, new friends to be enjoyed (more than a few tents' worth), a steward who actually does a perfect job 99.8+% of the time and a bunch of other stuff I'm failing to mention.  Did I mention that there is a lot of great food and free booze? 😎🐀

Sure, my comment was rhetoric exercise just to confirm that nothing is a big deal.  People simply "prefer" to enjoy everything (you mentioned) to full extend; so, they hope not to be interrupted with a regular life's daily annoyances.

Free?  Free is only cheese in a mouse trap.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

NCL now expects the stewards to clean 24 cabins. On my recent transatlantic my room was made up about half the time. I keep odd hours, and there was never any information on what time would be best for the steward. I had a couple of port days where I returned and was surprised to see the room unmade, but I think the stewards go ashore, too. I didn't make a production of it because I knew the steward was overworked, but I do think it was bad form on NCL's part to raise the daily gratuity while making a substantial cut in services. FWIW, I didn't tip over the mandatory gratuity amount, and probably will not in the future if receiving only once-a-day service.

• Like 7

The Stewards knew when they contracted what was expected. The only way NCL will modify this asinine policy is when folks pull the DSC . Why should I pay for service that I am not getting. I don’t want to hear about poor crew as I also work hard and then pay for something I’m not getting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mississippian said:

NCL now expects the stewards to clean 24 cabins. On my recent transatlantic my room was made up about half the time. I keep odd hours, and there was never any information on what time would be best for the steward. I had a couple of port days where I returned and was surprised to see the room unmade, but I think the stewards go ashore, too. I didn't make a production of it because I knew the steward was overworked, but I do think it was bad form on NCL's part to raise the daily gratuity while making a substantial cut in services. FWIW, I didn't tip over the mandatory gratuity amount, and probably will not in the future if receiving only once-a-day service.

The new steward regime requires more interaction to let them know your days schedule if you want a room service in a shorter window like morning because only going ashore for a short period.

There is no information to the passengers on what the steward schedules are you have to guess and many will just get disappointed.

We could often skip the day service and the turndown was catch-up to take out the used towels trash does not work now.

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The new steward regime requires more interaction to let them know your days schedule if you want a room service in a shorter window like morning because only going ashore for a short period.

So if I request my cabin be done when I know I'll be out of my cabin, like 10 - 2, how likely is it my request would be honored?

8 hours ago, tony s said:

The Stewards knew when they contracted what was expected. The only way NCL will modify this asinine policy is when folks pull the DSC . Why should I pay for service that I am not getting. I don’t want to hear about poor crew as I also work hard and then pay for something I’m not getting.

But I don't think they did know. This is a new rule. If forces the stewards to provide crappy service. I am not going to pull down the mandatory gratuity, but I won't be tipping extra. The consuming public will vote with their feet on this one. NCL is a bit cheaper than the other mass market lines, in my view. It may be they are making a wise marketing decision, or not. There is already a staff shortage, and they may find a lot of workers jumping ship for better opportunities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

So if I request my cabin be done when I know I'll be out of my cabin, like 10 - 2, how likely is it my request would be honored?

Behind the scenes I have no idea if they have any rules like do cabins in this order etc.

We were aft and I suspect that service section included the 2 aft suites which probably get priority.

Don't ask don't get, in my mind them knowing your schedule should give them a better opportunity to get a cabin done without interruptions or disrupting a guest by being part way through when they returned.  

It was our first time(a few weeks ago) with this new system and overall we were OK a bit annoying to come back to the cabin in the evening and the damp towels still there(we have plenty dry ones).

We can probably solve that by making sure our pre going out towel is a new one which will get hung for reuse then dumped early after morning shower for the day service

We were pretty tidy this trip and don't recall being bothered by the timings of cabin service.

if our lad was around we would say we are out now for the day and it was done when we got back   

The one proper lazy day we DND all day the cabin was done that evening, he did mention it next time we saw him but that would probably go over many peoples heads it was an extra.

I said before our bathroom issue was resolved immediately along with our normal request list

As cruising evolves the days when every line/ship pretty much did the same thing for cabin service are long gone, it will take time for people to catch on and change their routines.

• Like 1

I don’t know where some of this “double the workload” comes from.  Stewards used to have two shifts….one in the a.m. with a break between the one in the p.m.  This is how they have been doing it for a while.  Now, they just do one cabin refresh/day instead of 2.  Yes, they have more cabins, but they only have to refresh them ½ as much.  So, workload is about the same, more or less.

I have sailed on about 30 cruises, 15 of them with NCL.  The last one on the Bliss after the new policy was put into place.  Not once have I heard any steward complain.  Matter of fact, they’ve always been cheerful and friendly.  My cabin steward on the Bliss said he didn’t mind the changes.  Once his shift was done, he could do whatever he wanted.  Before, he knew once he was done in the a.m., he had to come back in the p.m., which limited his ability to get off the ship during free time.

Truth told, I didn’t notice the late afternoon/early evening turndown didn’t happen.  I don’t lounge around my cabin, though.  I’m shaved, showered and out and about usually from the a.m. until late at night.  I might pop into the cabin if I need something quickly, but that’s about it.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 9:31 AM, shof515 said:

all cruise lines is cutting back on room stewards and assigning them double the work. i notice it on all my previous on all major cruise lines

I have not and many cruise lines are still providing twice daily service. I have my first NCL cruise upcoming and I am honestly prepared to be quite underwhelmed, but the itinerary and friends we will be traveling with will make some concessions worthwhile.

24 minutes ago, ljk76 said:

I have not and many cruise lines are still providing twice daily service. I have my first NCL cruise upcoming and I am honestly prepared to be quite underwhelmed, but the itinerary and friends we will be traveling with will make some concessions worthwhile.

You might want to avoid carnival and RCL.

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You might want to avoid carnival and RCL.

I do. Celebrity is my line of choice, although I’d do RCL with friends or family. Hated Carnival. 

9 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Don't ask don't get, in my mind them knowing your schedule should give them a better opportunity to get a cabin done without interruptions or disrupting a guest by being part way through when they returned.  

What would be the best way to let them know our schedule? We have a port intensive cruise so our times away from our room will change each day. Would it be best to call them every morning? If you don't get them are you able to leave a message? 

4 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

What would be the best way to let them know our schedule? We have a port intensive cruise so our times away from our room will change each day. Would it be best to call them every morning? If you don't get them are you able to leave a message? 

Talk to the room steward when you embark. They will let you know the best method of communicating with them. And, if your request is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1