White & Gold Night

charliedalrymple

I know that formal nights aren't what they used to be, but I still enjoy dressing up on cruises to make the evening feel a bit more special.  I was looking for something for the "white and gold party" in the atrium on our next cruise, and I found this on Amazon.  We'll be on the Majestic 2024 Christmas cruise from Sydney to New Zealand, and I shouldn't be hard to spot in this outfit.  Say hello if you see me onboard!  (No, that's not me in the photo--I'm just a tad older. 🙂)

SKAVIJ Men's Indian Dupion Silk Nehru Jacket Festive and Casual Vest Waistcoat

• Like 3

You might have a look at videos, Youtube or the like, of these White and Gold parties. Very few actually dress for them. White and Gold strikes me as a passing thing; something they're running up the flagpole to see who salutes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

I know that formal nights aren't what they used to be, but I still enjoy dressing up on cruises to make the evening feel a bit more special.  I was looking for something for the "white and gold party" in the atrium on our next cruise, and I found this on Amazon.  We'll be on the Majestic 2024 Christmas cruise from Sydney to New Zealand, and I shouldn't be hard to spot in this outfit.  Say hello if you see me onboard!  (No, that's not me in the photo--I'm just a tad older. 🙂)

To me, you would look like a junior waiter, and I would want to give you my drink order in the dining room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I will dress up for formal nights. But white and gold? I’m not a skinny lady & don’t think I can pull that off!

I might have some white and gold accessories 🤔 

I did see someone post this picture on a different thread where this topic came up

IMG_1080.jpeg.b0ad8a3082fe2f35ce839216fbc41c9d.jpeg

Made me giggle 🤭 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

Well, I guess I deserve all of these comments--thanks for your humour!  However, I don't mind sticking out and/or looking like a waiter, so I'm going to stick with it.  Wish me luck!

lol, you go for for it! enjoy!

Does anyone think there is a difference in the number that dress up for formal nights depending where you sail from?

just wondered if people felt that there is a difference between European, USA & Australasian cruises on formal nights? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

lol, you go for for it! enjoy!

Does anyone think there is a difference in the number that dress up for formal nights depending where you sail from?

just wondered if people felt that there is a difference between European, USA & Australasian cruises on formal nights? 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely. 

47 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Who do you think is more likely to dress up?

I’ve not sailed outside of Europe 

Most likely are people from the UK.

I believe that there more likely to follow any rules or suggestions set by the cruise like for fear of being criticized by other passengers.

• Haha 1

We were pleasantly surprised by how many were in white and gold in March on Enchanted.  Our group of 4 all dressed up, mainly because my friend and I wanted an excuse to buy new outfits and we wanted to force our hubbies to buy new shirts lol. 

It was a lot of fun to pass others also dressed for the night and to compliment each other on "getting the memo."  We saw every shade of gold, and found some fun places around the ship to take photos that accented our colors. 

• Like 3

Lots of us were in white and gold on a 15 night Hawaii in March.That was the night they also had all the Love Boat themed games and trivia. It was probably my favorite night on the ship. we spent a solid 2 hours in the Piazza after dinner listening to the entertainment, playing the games and dancing with our 5 year old granddaughters after a big confetti drop

0036f36a-795b-4171-861c-33deb802e337.JPG

IMG_2369.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tutumomickey said:

Lots of us were in white and gold on a 15 night Hawaii in March.That was the night they also had all the Love Boat themed games and trivia. It was probably my favorite night on the ship. we spent a solid 2 hours in the Piazza after dinner listening to the entertainment, playing the games and dancing with our 5 year old granddaughters after a big confetti drop

IMG_2369.jpg

You all look stunning!  Love to see people take pride in their wardrobe choices.  This is quite normal for European cruises, but unfortunately a rarity in the US.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I believe that there more likely to follow any rules or suggestions set by the cruise like for fear of being criticized by other passengers.

Actually, we’re not afraid of being criticized by anyone.  We just prefer to look nice.  You might want to try it out, you never know you may just enjoy it! 

40 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, we’re not afraid of being criticized by anyone.  We just prefer to look nice.  You might want to try it out, you never know you may just enjoy it! 

I'm not sure I've "ever" seen a post here on CC where someone has criticized someone for dressing up.

Noone

• Like 2

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

I'm not sure I've "ever" seen a post here on CC where someone has criticized someone for dressing up.

Noone

Please see post #13, which I was responding to.  I did not accuse CC members of being critical “ever”.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

OK, thanks - 'being criticized' if you "didn't" dress up, correct?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Interesting theory. I do think that some of us dress up reluctantly. I’ve been one of them to be honest, when I first cruised.

’i suppose I should, really’ ‘everyone else will’

I now enjoy it. Especially as my 10yr old is always excited to wear a pretty dress for formal night. She’s finding her own style now & we’ve enjoyed looking for dresses together.

i think some of us genuinely love an excuse, any excuse, to dress up. I’m not one of them but fair play if you are.

i’m never going to be in full ballgown with husband in a tux

some probably think I’m not formal enough if my past cruises are anything to go by (from UK Southampton) but I feel good wearing a nice dress with husband in a suit & daughter all smiles, & that’s what matters

for ME, that IS formal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tutumomickey said:

IMG_2369.jpg

You all look gorgeous!! Such a nice photo

What wonderful memories too 😃

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:54 AM, charliedalrymple said:

You're my kinda people! 🙂 Cheers!

• Like 1