Which hotel for Fort Lauderdale are people staying in these days?

Tweedy

It has been a minute since we stayed in a Ft Lauderdale hotel for a cruise.  I'm curious as to where people are choosing to stay these days before/after their cruise.  We are looking at booking a cruise that sails from Ft Lauderdale and coming from the West Coast of Canada, we do need arrive a day or two before the sailing date.

Guidance would be appreciated. 🙂

We enjoy the Hyatt Place (convention center location) a perfect location next to the Harbor Shopping center with a Publix market, shops and restaurants with our favorite one being Duffy's.

Best pricing is either as a member which includes breakfast or with ValueTrips.

The hotel also offers a shuttle to their hotel from FLL for $5.00 per room reservation.

Enjoy what ever works well for your stay.

• Like 1

Best Western Oceanside, great hotel, 100 yards from beach, bar, restaurant, refrigerator, microwave, $ washer/dryer, bus outside the door, walking distance to water taxi,  friendly staff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

We enjoy the Hyatt Place (convention center location) a perfect location next to the Harbor Shopping center with a Publix market, shops and restaurants with our favorite one being Duffy's.

Best pricing is either as a member which includes breakfast or with ValueTrips.

The hotel also offers a shuttle to their hotel from FLL for $5.00 per room reservation.

Enjoy what ever works well for your stay.

In February, there was no charge for the breakfast, I booked through Value Trips.

19 hours ago, Tweedy said:

It has been a minute since we stayed in a Ft Lauderdale hotel for a cruise.  I'm curious as to where people are choosing to stay these days before/after their cruise.  We are looking at booking a cruise that sails from Ft Lauderdale and coming from the West Coast of Canada, we do need arrive a day or two before the sailing date.

Guidance would be appreciated. 🙂

The closest "hotel zone" near Port Everglades is the 17th Street strip, right on the northern entrance to Port Everglades and there are some excellent bets in that area. Our two usual hotels are the aforementioned Hyatt Place (and check out Valuetrips to make our Canadian $$$s go farther) and the big Renaissance nearby. 17th Street has lots of restaurants and last-minute shopping in the immediate area as well (Publix supermarket and the ridiculously cheap Total Wines for example). Unfortunately, 17th Street pricing is VERY cyclical and in peak season pricing can be eye-watering when converted to Canadian dollars. A good fallback area with good local infrastructure but slightly lower pricing is Dania Beach, just south of the airport but still close to PE. If you are traveling in prime peak season, another good and cheaper option is Plantation. Farther from FLL and PE but the pricing is relatively stable and doesn't explode in peak season like the other areas.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phabric said:

In February, there was no charge for the breakfast, I booked through Value Trips.

Interesting...but are you a member of Hyatt that may make the difference? Otherwise perhaps policy has changed.

Just now, Ashland said:

Interesting...but are you a member of Hyatt that may make the difference? Otherwise perhaps policy has changed.

I had booked Hyatt Place direct.  I am a member of Hyatt.  When Value Trips prices for 2023 came out, I cancelled my direct booking. You do not get points booking through Value Trips or any third party agency.  At the hotel, I asked what was offered for breakfast, no mention of a price.

I believe at one time on Value Trips site, it was mentioned a $11 charge for breakfast.

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I had booked Hyatt Place direct.  I am a member of Hyatt.  When Value Trips prices for 2023 came out, I cancelled my direct booking. You do not get points booking through Value Trips or any third party agency.  At the hotel, I asked what was offered for breakfast, no mention of a price.

I believe at one time on Value Trips site, it was mentioned a $11 charge for breakfast.

Good to know...thanks. Yes at one time a charge for breakfast  was offered with VT if not a Hyatt member.

I've booked (member) direct for one night in between cruises March 2024 but will definitely check price point when VT releases their schedule. 

Just now, Ashland said:

Good to know...thanks. Yes at one time a charge for breakfast  was offered with VT if not a Hyatt member.

I've booked (member) direct for one night in between cruises March 2024 but will definitely check price point when VT releases their schedule. 

They released 2023 prices in Dec 2022.  I am looking for Feb 2024.  I also have booked direct with Hyatt Place and waiting for Value Trips prices.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input.  The last time we stayed in Ft Lauderdale was 2010.  We plan to fly into Miami as we can get a direct flight from Vancouver.  Miami is also an option as we stayed here in 2019 and we'll just uber our way on sailaway day to the ship.

• Like 1

The Riverside on Las Olas Blvd is my favorite. Love the property and especially the location. When you ask which hotel people are staying at these days? The same hotels that have always been there.....17th Street area have Embassy Suites, Renaissance, Hyatt Place, Hilton Marina, Holiday Inn Express...then there is the beach (too many properties to name)........Dania Point has more options.

I would say take some time and scroll thought all the "Hotel Threads" (it could take you a couple of hours) and see what comes up.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, Ashland said:

If you are not a member of Hyatt's loyalty program, you don't get breakfast when book via Value Trips. I booked a room through Value Trips before I join Hyatt, my reservations on Hyatt's website don't show breakfast is included. After I joined, my reservation shows breakfast is included. 

2 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

If you are not a member of Hyatt's loyalty program, you don't get breakfast when book via Value Trips. I booked a room through Value Trips before I join Hyatt, my reservations on Hyatt's website don't show breakfast is included. After I joined, my reservation shows breakfast is included. 

Exactly what some of us have posted above...read through them. Hyatt members get breakfast.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, phabric said:

2 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

As I posted on my thread above, I had a free breakfast at Hyatt Place booking through Value Trips in Feb.  Value Trips does not ask for Hyatt membership #.  At the hotel they do not ask if you are a member.  I had asked at the front desk, what was on for breakfast.  They do not ask for payment for breakfast.   You walk into breakfast room, no one asked for payment or room number.  

Last time while staying at Hyatt Place which I had booked through Value Trips, while at he hotel, I gave them my Hyatt #, I did not get points.  You do not get points booking through Value Trips or any 3 party booking agency.

• Like 1

As I read through this and similar threads I see a lot of good information about the "17th Street hotels".  I see very few posts about any of the beach properties (W, Conrad, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, Westin, 4Seasons. The Atlantic, ETC). When we've sailed from FLL we've stayed at the beach each time (Westin and Conrad). Just curious as to why there are so few recommendations/suggestions for the beach. We've thoroughly enjoyed our experiences at the beach properties and look forward to revisiting.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I have stayed for many years when going to FLL for a few days at Best Western Oceanside.  The hotel is 100 yds from ocean (close to ocean within paying to be waterfront), bar that sells food, $ washer/dryer, bus outside the door, walking distance to water taxi, friendly staff, clean rooms with refrigerator and microwave.  No shuttle from airport to the hotel, you sign up for a $ shuttle to Port Everglades.

Edited by phabric

2 hours ago, J13C85 said:

As I read through this and similar threads I see a lot of good information about the "17th Street hotels".  I see very few posts about any of the beach properties (W, Conrad, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, Westin, 4Seasons. The Atlantic, ETC). When we've sailed from FLL we've stayed at the beach each time (Westin and Conrad). Just curious as to why there are so few recommendations/suggestions for the beach. We've thoroughly enjoyed our experiences at the beach properties and look forward to revisiting.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

oops, not sure what happened to my post.......I was going to say, sometimes people just like to stay in their comfort zone.  Also, beach properties (depending on the season) and which one, can be pretty pricey. But I do know those hotels do a lot of business so maybe folks who stay there just don't post on here. 

2 hours ago, J13C85 said:

See my previous post. Not sure what happened as I was typing on my phone. Weird!

4 hours ago, J13C85 said:

We thought about a beach hotel for a quick moment, and then discarded the idea:

1. More money

2. No airport shuttle

3. By the time we arrived in FLL, not much time to enjoy the beach anyway, and just staying 1 night

4. We'll have beach time while visiting ports

If we were to stay in FLL for a few days before/after the cruise, then it'd be a different story.

• Like 1