Has Silverseas really gotten worse since RCL acquired them

wwinfl91

Well Silversea may well have gone the way of Crystal if they hadn't been ac quired by RCCL.

And no there has been no change since RCCL took over.The gradual decline in standards that had been obvious for some years has continued at the same rate. Considering the gross disruption due to Covid I think they are doing very well.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

Well Silversea may well have gone the way of Crystal if they hadn't been ac quired by RCCL.

And no there has been no change since RCCL took over.The gradual decline in standards that had been obvious for some years has continued at the same rate. Considering the gross disruption due to Covid I think they are doing very well.

Yeah, it's been downhill ever since Trimalchio's dinner party.

• Haha 1

The answer to this depends on your interpretation of "worse".   The dictionary says "less or good or desirable".   We started on an expedition cruise to Antarctica in 2011 on the Explorer.  Suite with window but no balcony, small room and tiny bathroom but all perfectly adequate.  The ship was (is) small, but pretty much perfectly formed for expedition type activity with plenty of space to eat, drink, relax and the only issue might have been the limited size of the mud room but with a little give and take even that works. The trip was amazing, we saw and did everything we expected with a fantastic expedition team and we vowed to return when funds allowed.  Move on eleven years we are still sailing with Silversea, we have done two classic trips but nearly half a dozen expeditions.  Our most recent trip was on the Dawn, chosen for routing at the right time for us (returning from Galapagos via the Caribbean/S. America in March).   Every trip has been amazing, some slightly more than others, sometimes the food is better (more to my taste) sometimes not quite so yummy all the time, the facilities on board have improved exponentially and with the introduction of the Origin and recently the Endeavour it is possible to do expeditions in great luxury if that is your choice.  Covid occurred virtually concurrently with the RCL takeover and Silversea has been emerging like a crysalis since the devastation of the pandemic.  Has it got "worse"?   I dont think so, it has changed somewhat with newer and bigger ships but change is inevitable and the service, care and commitment by crew remain, in my view, unrivalled.  

• Like 15

Have you ever heard someone complain about the "bad old days"?

Often we remember the best parts of prior trips and cruises, and forget the minor unpleasantries.  So a new trip never seems to hold up to the wonderful memories that we have.

I think Covid 19 was more challenging for cruise lines than most industries.  You have massive and expensive ships which suddenly are sitting empty.  Crews that have to be furloughed or let off; supply chain problems.  You have reservations and bookings and deposits that need to be returned or re-worked.  And when you finally are able to start cruising again, you have the constant threat of not just the regular viruses that float around on cruise ships (norovirus, etc.) but a brand new pandemic virus that is perfectly designed for enclosed spaces like a ship and that can be lethal to your target audience of older people (let's be frank - the average Silversea customer isn't a 20 year old in perfect physical condition).

It's amazing that more lines didn't go under.  The fact that they can provide even a semblance of pre-Covid cruising experiences is pretty amazing. 

• Like 16

No.

We're on board now for our 15th (or thereabouts) cruise and we're having as much fun as ever.

We're so fortunate to be able to cruise like this. Why would I try to ruin it by looking for negatives? Nothing is perfect but the crew is doing everything they can to show us a good time.

Agree that SS may not have survived at all without the takeover. Best to enjoy your cruise without trying to compare to what may have been. SS isn't what it was 15 years ago, but what is?

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

No.

We're on board now for our 15th (or thereabouts) cruise and we're having as much fun as ever.

We're so fortunate to be able to cruise like this. Why would I try to ruin it by looking for negatives? Nothing is perfect but the crew is doing everything they can to show us a good time.

Agree that SS may not have survived at all without the takeover. Best to enjoy your cruise without trying to compare to what may have been. SS isn't what it was 15 years ago, but what is?

Nothing is. Lots of changes. 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We're on board now for our 15th (or thereabouts) cruise and we're having as much fun as ever.   We're so fortunate to be able to cruise like this. Why would I try to ruin it by looking for negatives? Nothing is perfect but the crew is doing everything they can to show us a good time.  Agree that SS may not have survived at all without the takeover. Best to enjoy your cruise without trying to compare to what may have been. SS isn't what it was 15 years ago, but what is?

Great summaries and background from labrasett, Rothko1, J.P., WesW, etc.  Agreed that it is hard to compare the "past" versus today.  Lots has changed, including us as we age and gain added experiences.  Also, as correctly and wisely noted, the RCCL take-over happened about the same time as Covid did its nasty shut-down and create the huge financial pressures.  

On our first Silversea cruise back in July 2010, there were "tensions" from the "bean-counter", finance-types in Monaco wanting to cut-back and save money . . . versus . . . the on-ship staff wanted to maximize the "experience" for us as customers.  Nothing new about what has been happening lately as Royal Caribbean tries to pay off the massive billions of dollars borrowed.  Great point as to how the RCL take-over avoid the money squeeze that sent Crystal down the toilet. 

We super loved the Silver Muse from our 2019 Alaska sailing and are looking forward/ahead to our February 2024 Mumbai to Singapore sailing on the Silver Moon.  We liked very much our four cruises on the Silver Cloud, but these newer Silversea ships have many improvements and offerings that are important and very good.    

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,434 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 1

I would argue they’ve gotten better. Our last two cruises in the last year on moon and origin were fantastic. Quality of food and service was great. Yes, there are always some issues but overall a great line.  I’ve been sailing them for 20 years and I remember back in 2005 they did massive cutbacks of the freebies like internet, caviar service, numbers of band members, etc from just a couple years before. I worried they were going away back then. I was real happy to hear they got acquired so they can pay their bills, build new ships and keep up the solid luxury line. I think if they hadn’t been acquired, they could’ve gone the way of Crystal or Renaissance and not survived Covid. We are so glad they are still here!
Kent & Jeffrey

• Like 4

If RCG* hadn't acquired them they would surely have had problems surviving Covid.  Maybe Manfredi could have done the same deal with A&K that he did to buy Crystal, but that wouldn't have included the financing for all the new ships.  So I think we have to be realistic about what the possibilities for Silversea post-Covid would have been.  Every forum on Cruise Critic has loyal fans of every cruise line bemoaning post-Covid cutbacks.  My impression is that Silversea has done very well compared to most other lines (even within RCG).

*And this isn't a spelling issue.  It's important to keep straight that Silversea was acquired by RCG – the Royal Caribbean Group – and not by RCCL – the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.  The Group is like General Motors, with room for Chevy (RCCL), Pontiac (Celebrity – sadly it used to be Buick...), and Cadillac (Silversea).

• Like 10

Has Silverseas really gotten worse since RCL acquired them 

NO !  we have just spent 54 days on the Moon.  On boarding  our butler from our last cruise ( Dawn August '22) saw me  in corridor on on way to  our  room,  She called me by  name,  we had a hug,  and she said  - give me you phone  and had hooked me to  to  the internet  before we got into  our room,  - she knew me well, I am  hopeless at this stuff !  🤩  This is why we love SS,  so many staff  that know you well  from previous cruises.  In the MDR, Kaiseki, Panorama Lounge,  all  remembered us from previous cruises. Some going back  to  our Explorer days !!   I had a back  injury before this cruise  - so  I had limited my  excursions,  so  spent a  lot of time on the ship,  54 days is a long time  -  but I was not disapointed  that I could  not get out and about,  I  am  so  glad SS  have  such high repeat of staff, they are happy,   we are happy =  great cruise.

• Like 8

Whilst the onboard experience has changed since RCG took over, mostly it’s still positive with some beneficial changes. What has deteriorated is the service provided by the shore based staff. Those in the London office try to do their best but have been hamstrung by significant changes to how they operate and the flexibility they can offer to guests. As for the marketing department, it’s still heading downhill.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Whilst the onboard experience has changed since RCG took over, mostly it’s still positive with some beneficial changes. What has deteriorated is the service provided by the shore based staff. Those in the London office try to do their best but have been hamstrung by significant changes to how they operate and the flexibility they can offer to guests. As for the marketing department, it’s still heading downhill.

Not sure why you might have contact with the marketing department and therefore be aware that is is heading "downhill".   My only contact with Silversea is through my computer and my Silversea agent administering my bookings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

Not sure why you might have contact with the marketing department and therefore be aware that is is heading "downhill".   My only contact with Silversea is through my computer and my Silversea agent administering my bookings.

Communication regarding major and totally unacceptable changes to itineraries comes from the marketing department, or at least it used to. There are at least two previous threads covering this issue.

My first Silversea cruise was on the Wind in 1995. Since then, I have seem a few temporary downs (remember when staff on the Silver Shadow got caught hiding food trolleys from the CDC's vessel inspectors in 2013?). But overall the trend has been upwards and I believe SS has evolved in a manner that suits me very well, and I think their current onboard product is on a very high level.

• Like 8