EZ Air nightmare, continued

cr8tiv1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This all began inside the 45 day cancellation period, although I suspect the airlines knew before (first leg was not listed on airline site, but still listed on Princess.)

Too late to cancel and rebooking will cost me much more independently.  I just want Princess (aka EZ Air to make this right).  

I was responding to dickinson re: outside of 45 days.  You have no other option than to work it out with Princess and it's clear that you're aware of that.  By the way the last time I used EZAir I noted that they were still having difficulty keeping up with schedule changes made by United.  The first such situation I encountered was air for one of the first cruises after the restart.  In my case the EZAir and United systems had been out of sync for over a month, something that didn't happen pre-Covid.  Fortunately I check the United website frequently and was able to accept recommended flight alternatives even though Princess hadn't ticketed it yet.  For that one I also had to call to have EZAir issue the ticket - it was just past the 30 day mark.  I chalked that all up to getting back to operating after Covid but when I still had the same problems with EZAir almost a year later I decided to just book air direct until such time as Princess resolves their issues.  Good luck getting everything settled!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I have found is that EZ-Air is best to save money and allow you to not pay until final payment, but it causes extra stress when a flight is canceled because you suddenly have to deal with a middleman. Dealing directly with the airline usually yields faster and better results. They generally won’t talk to you, though, if you book through EZ-Air. Good luck!

• Like 1

It is almost a week since I "discovered" that Air Canada eliminated my Quebec to Toronto flight.  I am trying to be patient, but it is really "trying".  My personalizer still shows original flight until I click on modify...then it stops dead in its track and says "we are working on this".

Did check on what is available.  But before I can "make and offer", I wanted to see what they came up with.

Seems as though best all around would be to take a Princess Transfer to Montreal and then catch a LATE afternoon flight home.  Will that even be considered by EZ Air as an option?  No matter how I cut the cake, it will be a really long travel day.

Those of you who know Canada...check this out.

Quebec to Calgary to Toronto to LAX = Total 16 hours.

Edited by cr8tiv1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Those of you who know Canada...check this out.

Quebec to Calgary to Toronto to LAX = Total 16 hours.

That’s crazy. This itinerary would only be useful to someone trying to accumulate airline miles or segments. 
Hopefully they will agree that the Princess transfer to Montreal is the best option.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. It is especially difficult when you are responsible for making a travel mate’s journey as smooth as possible.

I feel we were fortunate when we did a similar cruise to leave from Montreal instead of Quebec City (HAL Zaandam)

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Quebec to Calgary to Toronto to LAX = Total 16 hours

Nuts.

You should be able to book a flight from YUL.  EZ-Air offers alternative cities for many itineraries and I would think YUL would be an alternative.  Up to you how to get to YUL, however.  Would be interesting (and nice) if EZ-Air would pay the cost of that since flights from QC aren't working.  OTOH, it isn't EZ-Air fault when airlines change schedules or cancel flights.  Ought to be airline paying to get you to YUL - if anyone other than yourself.

• Like 1

@Steelers36  I am not blaming EZ Air at all.  United and Air Canada should be the ones that should be fixing this.  Unfortunately, there must be some fine print somewhere that says EZ Air is the third party vendor and thus responsible for my problem.

I will start contacting EZ Air in another week, if I don't see any movement on trying to get me booked.  It's a catch 22.  If I ask to be changed now, they won't change it again if something better is available.  If I wait too long. then I risk losing out on possible better connections (sold out?).

UPDATE:

I have one fantastic Travel Agent.  She has been on top of this flight change/cancellation.  NOT her job.  Travel Agents are not responsible for EZ Air bookings.  She did this strictly as a favor for me, even though I asked her not to spend hours on the phone to get a resolution.

I received a call from her.  She had 10 minutes to get an okay from me and then call my travel mate for an agreement.  I told her that I was fine with anything.  

EZ AIr/Air Canada made an offer. 

Late in the afternoon.  Fine. 

One hour connection in Montreal.  Their rules if I don't make it, their problem

Direct flight from Montreal to LAX.  Arriving late evening.  

This was all they could offer.  If I did not accept, I don't know what else could have been done.  I accepted.  Travel mate accepted.

Now to enjoy my cruise.  Glad I have a flight home.  Extremely thankful that I have a Travel Agent who looks out for my best interest.  Everyone should be so fortunate.

Is this the end of the story?  I sure hope so.  Please Air Canada, do not make any more changes.

Last question for anyone who has done this before...

Will I have to clear customs in Montreal or LAX?  Will I have enough time?  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Likely in Montreal.

It does sound like there are kiosks for US Citizens.

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/customs-imigration-united-states#:~:text=Montréal–Trudeau provides border preclearance,arriving in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So glad this has been resolved for you! You will preclear US customs in Montreal.

• Like 2

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for the link.  My concern is:  Do I have enough time to process through the kiosks with only an hour (to get off the plane, immigrations, get back on the plane)?

As you will be in transit, it will be tight but they should funnel you into your own line up for customs. At least that is how it is done here in Vancouver. The kiosks also really speaks things up.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for the link.  My concern is:  Do I have enough time to process through the kiosks with only an hour (to get off the plane, immigrations, get back on the plane)?

Check with AC for any questions you may have.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/montreal-airport/ca-us.html#/

• Thanks 1

I just checked my personalizer.  Low and behold, there is a disclaimer:  recommended connecting time is 1.5 hours.  THEY re-booked me with only 60 minutes.

I do hope:

1.  Maybe Air Canada will let us stand by for an earlier flight.

2.  We can rush through gate to gate 

3.  If we don't make the flight, EZ AIr/Insurance will cover the overnight and next flight out.  

Any one ever miss a connections through EZ Air?  I just don't understand why they picked such a tight connection when there are 3 other flights out earlier (all more expensive).  I don't want to call.  I don't want to touch these changes.  

Sigh....I think my international travel days are going to be far and few between after my next fall cruise.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just checked my personalizer.  Low and behold, there is a disclaimer:  recommended connecting time is 1.5 hours.  THEY re-booked me with only 60 minutes.

I do hope:

3.  If we don't make the flight, EZ AIr/Insurance will cover the overnight and next flight out.  

Any one ever miss a connections through EZ Air?  I just don't understand why they picked such a tight connection when there are 3 other flights out earlier (all more expensive).

I think you answered your own question... Air Canada's (probably take-it-or-leave-it) offer was the least expensive itinerary with a legal connection.  I've been in a similar situation with United and EZAir for a 5-hour schedule change that would have made me take a extra half day off work.  EZAir could only offer me what United was willing to rebook me on since United (not EZAir) was eating the $500+ increase in airfare.

As for the travel insurance, unless you already know the answer, I'd check now because recently I've seen that some travel policies now only provide travel delay coverage for connections of a minimum length. 

• Like 1

Found this tonight on Princess.com.  I hope this applies since I am dependent on EZ Air for my itinerary.  You bet, I'm taking printed copies of all my changes, including the disclaimer of 1.5 hours.  They booked it.  Thankful it is after the cruise.  I could not find any policy for EZ Air insurance.  

Even during the height of the pandemic and I was "stuck" in Honolulu for 6 months, it wasn't this bad on Hawaiian Airlines. 

Trip Delays

Delayed flights and missed connections; they happen to the best of us. Here at Princess, we understand that some things are out of your control. That’s why Princess Vacation Protection may reimburse you up to $500 for expenses not arranged through Princess — such as hotels and meals — if you are delayed in getting to your trip or up to $1,500 if you are delayed getting home.*

*The Trip Delay benefit is a maximum of $1,500 if you experience both pre-cruise and post-cruise delays.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do hope:

Any one ever miss a connections through EZ Air?  I just don't understand why they picked such a tight connection when there are 3 other flights out earlier (all more expensive).  I don't want to call.  I don't want to touch these changes.  

Sigh....I think my international travel days are going to be far and few between after my next fall cruise.

If you check AC website the minimum connection time from Canada to US with a connection in YUL is 55 minutes.  That is a legal connection, meaning that is enough time to connect you and your checked bags.  They would not book an illegal connection.  

However, if perfect weather and flight times, of course they suggest 1.5 hours. Lol

You should be protected as you noted in your insurance info.  Sit back and go with the flow and enjoy your cruise.  Not much you can do about it anyway.😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Tell your flight crew that you have an extremely tight connection.  They might be able to assist in getting you off the plane faster so that you can make the connecting flight.

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Found this tonight on Princess.com.  I hope this applies since I am dependent on EZ Air for my itinerary.  You bet, I'm taking printed copies of all my changes, including the disclaimer of 1.5 hours.  They booked it.  Thankful it is after the cruise.  I could not find any policy for EZ Air insurance.  

Even during the height of the pandemic and I was "stuck" in Honolulu for 6 months, it wasn't this bad on Hawaiian Airlines. 

Trip Delays

Delayed flights and missed connections; they happen to the best of us. Here at Princess, we understand that some things are out of your control. That’s why Princess Vacation Protection may reimburse you up to $500 for expenses not arranged through Princess — such as hotels and meals — if you are delayed in getting to your trip or up to $1,500 if you are delayed getting home.*

*The Trip Delay benefit is a maximum of $1,500 if you experience both pre-cruise and post-cruise delays.

Also, request seats as soon as you can, as far forward as possible, on the airline website, to get off a little faster.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

YUL, YYZ and YVR are really streamlined these days for connections to/from USA.  These airports wanted to attract business and move people through more efficiently and a lot of changes were made several years ago.  Also, I am sure YUL has information on their website how to connect to USA when arriving from another Canadian airport (domestic) or international.  I know YYZ site does (GTAA).  Also, Air Canada has major airport connection guides and they have detailed information on AC website about transfers at these airports.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Maybe Air Canada will let us stand by for an earlier flight.

You can always ask at the airport even if your ticket category doesn't allow it.  I would ask nicely and explain you were given a shorter connection time and not familiar with YUL and would feel more comfortable with more time to connect, etc.  If they have seats, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.  Might need a nice agent, but many of them want to help where they can and not be obstructionist for no good reason.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:57 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Any one ever miss a connections through EZ Air?

Has nothing to do with them.  It has to do with the operating airline and ATC.  Does that initial flight get off on time and land on time, giving you the best opportunity to make the connection. 

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

IDK where you got the 1.5 hrs.  Sounds like quite old information.  I wrote above how these major Cdn airports have been re-designed and processes along with them, to speed up cnxns.  The official AC minimum cnxn time at YUL for Canada to USA cnxn is 55 minutes, so you have 5 mins extra.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/minimum-connection-times.html#/

On 6/20/2023 at 7:24 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, see above.  Unless plan is delayed a lot for some reason.  You should have PLENTY of time with a 60 minute cnxn time.