EZ Air nightmare, continued

cr8tiv1

I didn't not want to hijack someone else's thread so starting my own.

I have spent the entire day (10 AM to 6 PM) with Princess EZ AIr, United Airlines, and Canada Airlines.

At 10 AM, all my flights were good, confirmed, eticketed.

By 11 AM everything fell apart.  Found out via United Chat that first leg of trip (Quebec to Toronto on Jazz/Air Canada) was cancelled due to schedule change.  I can understand that, but never heard from Princess.  

I won't bore all of you with details but involved multiple calls with different vendors.  The last one was most important.  EZ Air only guarantees Same Airline/Same Class.

One call to EZ Air and they wanted to put me on a much later flight arriving way too late.

One call to EZ Air and they wanted to put me on a VERY early flight.

TA advised me to wait and see what Princess EZ Air's Back Room (re:  EZ Air Amier agent) comes up with ...then contest, if not acceptable.  Of course, one is unable to contact them directly.  I will admit that EZ Air has been easy to reach by phone.

It shouldn't be this difficult.  Looking for soothing words of comfort.  Did I do the right thing?  I can't be the only one in this boat.  We had a "perfect" flight from Quebec/Toronto/LAX.  How could it be so messed up ... off course WITHIN 44 days of departure.  I would have cancelled all if it was out side of the 45 days.  

Will I have any recourse with trip interruption claim since EZ Air is covered under Princess Vacation Protection?

Thank you in advance.  I am exhausted and totally frustrated.  

I can't answer your questions and I am sorry you are going through this.

Does anyone know the company Princess uses for EZ Air? I tried to find this out recently and do not know.

I do believe you will have trip interruption coverage with Princess insurance.

• Like 1

Sorry you are going through this.  I never thought about it but EZ Air only guarantees same airline?  So they won't put you on another airline if flight was cancelled and nothing suitable available on that airline?  

My flight at end of August takes me to JFK for a 7.5 hour layover.  (Because Delta cancelled a flight they put me on an earlier one).  If I go on Princess website and click on Travel I get an alert saying they don't recommend more than a 5 hour layover (something like that).  Only problem is they are offering me a lot of flights with longer than 5 hour layovers!

EZ Air ain't what it used to be!!! Flying internationally we are kind of stuck using them because going business class is heavily discounted.  

I hope you get it all sorted out!

• Like 1

You have SO MUCH time that you should not less yourself get overly stressed out yet.

I had a similar experience with Viking Air just this year--they changed my great return flights from Budapest a month or two ahead due to the fact that the airline (Lufthansa) decided the pilots were overworked and so reduced some flights. We ended up flying Air Canada (?) BUD to Zurich then to Toronto and then finally to Philly, three connections on three busy, long, uncomfortable flights way out of the way (four countries in one day).  

Many years ago I booked a Princess flight and the local domestic flight was cancelled AT THE LAST MINUTE, making me miss the international flight to Copenhagen! I had to overnight in Chicago (yuck) and then screamed at Princess on the phone until they got me to Europe. Thank goodness I had built in three days in advance at a hotel before the cruise. Thank goodness I also had travel insurance. By the way, the luggage showed up a day later.

I am not sure what the issue is with a very early flight, but, anymore I look at flights as something to endure to get to the real trip, in this case, a cruise. 

The one thing I really like about EZ Air besides the cheaper prices is that I was able to select my own flights.  I would do a quick search to see what else might appeal to you/work with your schedule, so at least you can provide them a bit of guidance.  Maybe even go a day earlier if that will be possible, so there is no pressure.

Hang in there, it will work out. Have a great trip!

• Like 1

@LibertyBella, thank goodness this flight is at the end of the cruise.  Not worried about getting home.  Not worried about luggage.  Concerned for my travel mate.  

I have to admit that my post is after shear desperation and exhaustion.  Not the way I would like to end a nice cruise.

Have had a similar situation.  Our flight, direct flight from LHR to SAN,  departure time was changed by 7 minutes.  New flight time did not meet Princess requirements.  We were subsequently rebooked on a connecting flight thru Philadelphia.   Flight was cancelled.  Rebooked on a connection with Dallas, happy with the connection, subsequently cancelled.   Rebooked on a connection thru Phoenix, again cancelled.   Now routed through Seattle.   Not the best but so far so good.   We were supposedly ticketed (Travel Summary) on all the changes even before final payment.   
We are still 70+ days out.   Just going with the flow.   No price increase just schedule changes.  We were notified by EZAir of all the changes.  Definitely all changes caused by BA schedule.

I will never ever use EZ air. again...we are still waiting for advice that our flight to Sydney was cancelled back in 2019.... we only found out because my son was travelling on the same flight and was notified the previous evening that the flight was cancelled....NO notification from Princess or EZ air

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I didn't not want to hijack someone else's thread so starting my own.

I have spent the entire day (10 AM to 6 PM) with Princess EZ AIr, United Airlines, and Canada Airlines.

At 10 AM, all my flights were good, confirmed, eticketed.

By 11 AM everything fell apart.  Found out via United Chat that first leg of trip (Quebec to Toronto on Jazz/Air Canada) was cancelled due to schedule change.  I can understand that, but never heard from Princess.  

I won't bore all of you with details but involved multiple calls with different vendors.  The last one was most important.  EZ Air only guarantees Same Airline/Same Class.

One call to EZ Air and they wanted to put me on a much later flight arriving way too late.

One call to EZ Air and they wanted to put me on a VERY early flight.

TA advised me to wait and see what Princess EZ Air's Back Room (re:  EZ Air Amier agent) comes up with ...then contest, if not acceptable.  Of course, one is unable to contact them directly.  I will admit that EZ Air has been easy to reach by phone.

It shouldn't be this difficult.  Looking for soothing words of comfort.  Did I do the right thing?  I can't be the only one in this boat.  We had a "perfect" flight from Quebec/Toronto/LAX.  How could it be so messed up ... off course WITHIN 44 days of departure.  I would have cancelled all if it was out side of the 45 days.  

Will I have any recourse with trip interruption claim since EZ Air is covered under Princess Vacation Protection?

Thank you in advance.  I am exhausted and totally frustrated.  

Sounds like EZAir is working on your schedule change?  They need to come up with a solution for a schedule change for you.  

Are you ticketed yet?  If not, just let them come up with a solution.  Hang in there.

Meanwhile, I would look up alternative flights that would work for you and be prepared to ask for those, if the protection is not acceptable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Have had a similar situation.  Our flight, direct flight from LHR to SAN,  departure time was changed by 7 minutes.  New flight time did not meet Princess requirements.  We were subsequently rebooked on a connecting flight thru Philadelphia.   Flight was cancelled.  Rebooked on a connection with Dallas, happy with the connection, subsequently cancelled.   Rebooked on a connection thru Phoenix, again cancelled.   Now routed through Seattle.   Not the best but so far so good.   We were supposedly ticketed (Travel Summary) on all the changes even before final payment.   
We are still 70+ days out.   Just going with the flow.   No price increase just schedule changes.  We were notified by EZAir of all the changes.  Definitely all changes caused by BA schedule.

I would have insisted (or at least given it a strong effort) on restore of original flight because 7 minutes is immaterial with the generous time allowance setup by PCL.

9 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Agree with @Steelers36 about the 7 min change and pushing to keep that flight.  With 70 days out, that flight may have another schedule change.  If it’s within the PCL rules, I’d fight to get it back, at this point.

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm not sure who told you that EZ Air only guarantees Same Airline....but that isn't true.

Now, it might be that they FIRST try and get you on the Same Airline, but if there are no other options with that airline, they will put you on a different airline. Last summer (which was one of the worst messes in flying ever), Delta cancelled our flight home from LHR 7 days before we left for a 12 day cruise. It took  "Princess EZ Air's Back Room" about 48 hours, but they finally found us an Iceland Air flight. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was acceptable and it got us home.

I agree with the poster who suggested you look up options on your own, though they didn't really give me an option and I was so close to leaving, I just took what they gave me. It is stressful when this happens and I'm like you where this is too close for me to be comfortable---I like my planning all set to go---but you do actually have enough time for them to get you an acceptable solution.

Since you are working with a TA....everyone keeps saying this is why you have a TA....so they should be working hard to find you something acceptable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@LibertyBella, thank goodness this flight is at the end of the cruise.  Not worried about getting home.  Not worried about luggage.  Concerned for my travel mate.  

I have to admit that my post is after shear desperation and exhaustion.  Not the way I would like to end a nice cruise.

Going to be limited choices from Quebec City to Toronto.  UA supposedly has direct to EWR and AA to ORD< but the timings may not be good for you.  Airlines are making lot of schedule changes these days.  Hope you come up with something decent and EZ-Air should be changing airlines if the original airline doesn't work.  Do they want to pay to keep you overnight as well?

11 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Since you are working with a TA....everyone keeps saying this is why you have a TA....so they should be working hard to find you something acceptable.

TA's get nothing from airline bookings.  I suppose if a client brought a lot of business to the TA otherwise, they might "work hard", but why expect it when they get nothing for it?

• Like 1

How do you know your EZ Air has been ticketed?  I leave the end of August for my cruise.  I was looking on the Princess site and clicked on Travel Summary.  I clicked to print it.  It showed me all my flights, etc.  The three flights going to my cruise destination is blank after the words Ticket number.  My three return flights have a number next to Ticket number.  Would they have already bought my return tickets at about 95 days from flying but not have bought the going to the cruise tickets at about 87 days out?

As long as there is no ticket number populating in your Travel Summary, you can still cancel the EZAir flights.  The less than 45 days is immaterial.  The no ticket number means EZAir hasn't paid the airlines and the airlines haven't issued your tickets yet.

The quandary then becomes, how much to book to your air directly with the airlines this late in the game?  Is it even worth it?

18 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

As long as there is no ticket number populating in your Travel Summary, you can still cancel the EZAir flights.

I understand that you are talking about a different situation - but I just wanted to share that it is possible to cancel or change a flight after it has been ticketed. 

Even if there is a ticket number in your Travel Summary - if you booked Flexible Air, did not ask for early ticketing and are at least 45 days before the flight, you can still cancel or change your flights.

EZAir ticketed our flights shortly after we made a booking (without a request to do so from us).  A few weeks later, we were still able to change our flights when the price dropped.  I think that there must have been someone that was inexperienced at EZAir.

Also, we will never book a code share flight again for a small savings.  With so many schedule changes, we prefer not to have that added level of separation.  (If the savings were huge, we would weigh the risks).

Edited by Abercrombie2019
Realized that the person I had quoted was talking about a specific situation.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Also, we will never book a code share flight again for a small savings.  With so many schedule changes, we prefer not to have that added level of separation.  (If the savings were huge, we would weigh the risks).

Agree with you.  I avoid them like the plague.

• Like 1

We have used EZAir twice and had a few bumps a long the way, mostly flight changes and fighting to get on the best flight, time and shortest layover.  Once our flights were booked, I monitored them weekly to make sure that they were not changed, cancelled or disappeared.

Due to the air cost, flight times, delays and the possibility of problems, we made the decision to only cruise where we can drive to the port (L.A, or San Diego) or get a direct flight to San Francisco, Seattle to catch the boat.

We have had a bucket list cruise to Japan on our list, but the 14 hr - 20 hr flight time (with layover) is not going to happen.  We are too old and the cost does not make it worth it.

I do not understand why so many people use cruise line airplane flights.  I may sometimes but not always pay a little more to book directly with the airline but when the inevitable problems or issues occur I can talk directly to the company that is actually providing the service.  Makes life easier.

DON

• Like 2

" At 10 AM, all my flights were good, confirmed, eticketed.

By 11 AM everything fell apart.  Found out via United Chat that first leg of trip (Quebec to Toronto on Jazz/Air Canada) was cancelled due to schedule change.  I can understand that, but never heard from Princess.  "

I have a question, just in case EZ Air is a lot cheaper on a possible future cruise from Rome.

It seems the flights here were confirmed and e-ticketed.

Once your flights are ticketed, are YOU not in control from that point?  And not necessarily EZ Air?

Could that be why the airline contacted you, as YOU are now the current ticket-holder?

If that is true, I am not sure what role Princess would continue to have?

Anyhow, if Princess were to offer a really good rate for a better class, like Premium Economy or First.  Then I wonder if we should consider that or not?

We had thought about booking, then request ticketing, and then be able to use Miles to upgrade.

But, with the insane number of miles just to upgrade, on Delta, that idea became a non-starter.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I do not understand why so many people use cruise line airplane flights.  I may sometimes but not always pay a little more to book directly with the airline but when the inevitable problems or issues occur I can talk directly to the company that is actually providing the service.  Makes life easier.

DON

We use EZAir for international travel.  Our flights for August are Business Class on British  Air at $3325 pp,   Booking direct with BA is $10Kpp.  Our recent South America BC on AA was $1800pp versus $9.5Kpp.

This is the first time in 10 years of flying internationally with EZAir we have had any issues.   

• Like 3

Thank you to the many posters who replied with suggestions and comforting words.  I didn't want to re-quote everyone, so will just @ ...everyone to help clarify my situation.

@PacnGoNow The (back room) "is supposedly" working on my schedule change.  24 hours later and still no resolution.  If I had not called for some other (my mistake) issue, I would not have known.  I check and recheck constantly.  When I checked United and Air Canada, I saw a missing flight with leg 2 still intact.  When I go to my personalizer and pull up my actually travel page says, I still have my booking.  It's when I click to modify, it states that there is a schedule change.  Nothing more as of this afternoon.

I confirmed that I was tickets and have an eticket number along with confirmation codes and record locator numbers with EZ Air.

I am half-heartedly trying to be proactive and look at alternative flights.  I am just so spent and don't have the energy to really do any more problem solving.  Give me the weekend (since I doubt back room will look at this until Monday).

@dreaminofcruisin Two EZ Air agents told me the same policy.   Same airline/same class of service.  Both legs are "married" so I would have to scratch all and start again.  What I object to is that there are other options, but of course, I booked early, and now there is no availability due to airline change.  Not my fault.  Good to know that I may have the option of a different airline.  We will see if that is in the cards for me.  I would gladly fly to Chicago and on to LAX.

I do have a great TA.  But she did not book my EZ Air, but is in constant contact with me.  She is trying to help me with decisions and avenues that my be open to me.  Princess notified her that they are "working" on getting me rerouted.  

@Steelers36 Thank you for your support.  I did ask EZ Air what would happen if I missed my 1 hour connecting flight.  She said they would put me up in a hotel.  But that they would not do it pre/post travel day.  

@dickinson I asked for the eticket number. 

@SCX22 @Abercrombie2019 Here lies the problem.  It started a few days ago.  I noticed that my first leg was not showing up on my airlines.  But was still on my personalizer.  "Not to worry.."...it's recorded.  Day 46.  I looked into alternative or cheaper EZ Air to modify.  Nothing.  Day 44...is when all the issues began.  Too late for any modifications or to cancel since I have been tickets (paid to United/Air Canada).  Even if EZ Air returned my funds, it would cost me almost double to book independent travel.  

In defense of EZ Air, I have dealt with 3 agents that have tried to be really helpful.  I understand that they are restricted by guidelines.  Very pleasant, polite, and I felt they felt my pain.

@donaldsc I have used EZ Air twice before. Savings were worth the "risk".  But they were both direct flights with time to spare built in.  The fares were very reasonable (example LAX to Japan was $800 round trip) this year.  

The key is to book early for lower fares.  Watch for fares to drop and re-fare.  The problem is that this is a 2 segment fare.  And the first leg became non-existing.  Don't know what happened to Jazz Aviation.  Plus Quebec is not big enough to have multiple options.

@Wishing on a star. Big disclaimers on United and Air Canada.  If this is a third party....blah, blah, blah, please contact them directly.  Airline never contacted me.  I contacted them.  I could "manage" entering information into their website.  I could even (sort of) pick seats...that is what started this drama and it just escalated and is overflowing the "pot".  

I reserved seats on United Airlines then went to (code share) Air Canada to verify.  That's when I noticed that even though United had no charge, Air Canada did (at $60.80 and not the $30) as stated on Air Canada's website.  I tried to cancel reserved seat.  Could not do it online.  

That is what started the landslide.  Was finally able to reach Air Canada after multiple calls/HOURS.  Reserve seats were removed.  And then she hung up on me (after 2 hours on hold).  You think Princess is bad..Air Canada is worse!

When EZ Air works, then it is wonderful.  You don't have to purchase your ticket immediately and can make changes.  Not so if you book directly with the airlines,  But as you can see...there are issues that can present a worse option.

Not sure about upgrading.  

Appreciate everyone's input.  Thank goodness it is AFTER my cruise.  I wonder where I could vacation if EZ Air dumps me in a city that is worth exploring?????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:14 AM, dickinson said:

How do you know your EZ Air has been ticketed?  I leave the end of August for my cruise.  I was looking on the Princess site and clicked on Travel Summary.  I clicked to print it.  It showed me all my flights, etc.  The three flights going to my cruise destination is blank after the words Ticket number.  My three return flights have a number next to Ticket number.  Would they have already bought my return tickets at about 95 days from flying but not have bought the going to the cruise tickets at about 87 days out?

The last time that we used EZAir (which was last year) I noticed the same thing about my flights.  And there was verbiage on the United website about an issue with the ticket.  What I found out is that for some fares Princess actually pays part of the fare immediately and this shows up as being half ticketed even if you've booked flexible.  You can still cancel (I did actually) as long as it's outside of the 45 day window.  But it's a fairly normal thing with them and nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@azbirdmom Thanks!  I was thinking it could be the airlines.  The flights not ticketed are Delta and ITA (an Italian airline).  The return ticketed flights are Air Canada although some might be code share with Lufthansa.  I had never looked before until this thread!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

The last time that we used EZAir (which was last year) I noticed the same thing about my flights.  And there was verbiage on the United website about an issue with the ticket.  What I found out is that for some fares Princess actually pays part of the fare immediately and this shows up as being half ticketed even if you've booked flexible.  You can still cancel (I did actually) as long as it's outside of the 45 day window.  But it's a fairly normal thing with them and nothing to worry about.

This all began inside the 45 day cancellation period, although I suspect the airlines knew before (first leg was not listed on airline site, but still listed on Princess.)

Too late to cancel and rebooking will cost me much more independently.  I just want Princess (aka EZ Air to make this right).  

• Like 1