Strict arrival times

Babybooface

On 6/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, jaydee6969 said:

I can only assume this is a website error, but currently P&O site now states Mediterranean tier get priority arrival time, check in and welcome onboard reception. The T&C's do not, however they are dated 2017.

Screengrab from just now.

Screenshot 2023-06-17 112720.jpg

We have just got off Arcadia this morning certainly not any sort of priority for arrival, check in or welcome on board reception for Mediterranean level.  We were at the top end of Mediterranean and were allocated an arrival time  of 15 mins before final embarkation time and we had a balcony cabin near the rear lifts on deck B on a select price booking  That cruise has now put us in in the Caribbean tier though.

We turned up just over half an hour early to make sure we were not late given that very tight timing and were let straight in to check in - not many people about.  We spoke to a member of staff outside the terminal who confirmed that, at about half an hour early, you would be let into the terminal without problem, but may have to wait a little while to check in,if at a busy time (earlier on is the problem with some people apparently arriving a couple of hours early!)  Those who arrived too early had apparently been asked to queue outside (or return later), even for our embarkation of Arcadia at Mayflower.  He said that everyone being allowed to go into the terminal and wait for their check in time is not being allowed for any P&O cruises now, but that using that system has stopped people arriving a long time before their check in time.

I have no objection to arriving at what ever time we had been allocated, but I still think that P&O should allow that time to be at least an our before final embarkation time to allow for delays or problems arriving.

Edited by tring
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, tring said:

We have just got off Arcadia this morning certainly not any sort of priority for arrival, check in or welcome on board reception for Mediterranean level.  We were at the top end of Mediterranean and were allocated an arrival time  of 15 mins before final embarkation time and we had a balcony cabin near the rear lifts on deck B on a select price booking  That cruise has now put us in in the Caribbean tier though.

We turned up just over half an hour early to make sure we were not late given that very tight timing and were let straight in to check in - not many people about.  We spoke to a member of staff outside the terminal who confirmed that, at about half an hour early, you would be let into the terminal without problem, but may have to wait a little while to check in,if at a busy time (earlier on is the problem with some people apparently arriving a couple of hours early!)  Those who arrived too early had apparently been asked to queue outside (or return later), even for our embarkation of Arcadia at Mayflower.  He said that everyone being allowed to go into the terminal and wait for their check in time is not being allowed for any P&O cruises now, but that using that system has stopped people arriving a long time before their check in time.

I have no objection to arriving at what ever time we had been allocated, but I still think that P&O should allow that time to be at least an our before final embarkation time to allow for delays or problems arriving.

Hi Tring. I know this is not the appropriate thread but was just wondering how your cruise went. How was Arcadia and your overall experience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tring said:

We also disembarked yesterday from Arcadia and had  a really awful embarkation experience so much so it’s deterring us from booking again with P&O

we travelled  six and half hours down from the Northeast  traffic was very busy at times and quite harrowing  it’s very difficult to get the timings right and you can never judge what the traffic will be like,but nevertheless we did arrive two hours early and were told to wait outside, or we could take a taxi and were directed to the taxi rank to take us elsewhere, as we had left our car with CPS we were not allowed into the terminal at all,we did ask if we could just sit and wait inside have a cup of tea and use the toilets but we were again directed elsewhere they we’re bringing chairs out for more elderly passengers  who couldn’t stand for long periods of time, I wasn’t expecting to board early but did expect to be able to sit inside when we did enter the check in area we found the whole area to be deserted and no passengers were sitting waiting, we were told they wanted the boarding experience to return to pre covid times absolute nonsense all of the cruises we took during covid times we were allowed inside the terminal mask wearing of course what a really horrible disappointing start to our holiday and has left quite a bitter taste if this is how P &O think that’s acceptable treatment of their loyal passengers. I do understand that the procedure is difficult when there are are large numbers of passengers but surely they can cope  better than that with the smaller ships numbers

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We also disembarked yesterday from Arcadia and had  a really awful embarkation experience so much so it’s deterring us from booking again with P&O

we travelled  six and half hours down from the Northeast  traffic was very busy at times and quite harrowing  it’s very difficult to get the timings right and you can never judge what the traffic will be like,but nevertheless we did arrive two hours early and were told to wait outside, or we could take a taxi and were directed to the taxi rank to take us elsewhere, as we had left our car with CPS we were not allowed into the terminal at all,we did ask if we could just sit and wait inside have a cup of tea and use the toilets but we were again directed elsewhere they we’re bringing chairs out for more elderly passengers  who couldn’t stand for long periods of time, I wasn’t expecting to board early but did expect to be able to sit inside when we did enter the check in area we found the whole area to be deserted and no passengers were sitting waiting, we were told they wanted the boarding experience to return to pre covid times absolute nonsense all of the cruises we took during covid times we were allowed inside the terminal mask wearing of course what a really horrible disappointing start to our holiday and has left quite a bitter taste if this is how P &O think that’s acceptable treatment of their loyal passengers. I do understand that the procedure is difficult when there are are large numbers of passengers but surely they can cope  better than that with the smaller ships numbers

Agreed. A dreadful way to treat passengers. It's like a punishment and P&O have forgotton who pays their wages. 

I have complained to P&O about this, and the fact that staff said to me they were worried they could lose their jobs if they let people through, that's down right bullying.

Were people allowed to use the toilets? I would hope so.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

we were not allowed into the terminal at all,we did ask if we could just sit and wait inside have a cup of tea and use the toilets but we were again directed elsewhere they we’re bringing chairs out for more elderly passengers  who couldn’t stand for long periods of time, I wasn’t expecting to board early but did expect to be able to sit inside when we did enter the check in area we found the whole area to be deserted and no passengers were sitting waiting,

Thinking about having a cup of tea /snack bar was this still in use ? 

Not much use if your stuck outside or whisked straight through as your on time .

I'm trying to get my head around the effort put in by the staff humping chairs outside when 

the seating area is left deserted .

Same as Trish has said up to an hour before seems reasonable lee way but P&O need 

to make clear what their cut off times are to passengers .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Agreed. A dreadful way to treat passengers. It's like a punishment and P&O have forgotton who pays their wages. 

I have complained to P&O about this, and the fact that staff said to me they were worried they could lose their jobs if they let people through, that's down right bullying.

Were people allowed to use the toilets? I would hope so.

We were directed to the arrivals if we wanted to use the toilets,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Thinking about having a cup of tea /snack bar was this still in use ? 

Not much use if your stuck outside or whisked straight through as your on time .

I'm trying to get my head around the effort put in by the staff humping chairs outside when 

the seating area is left deserted .

Same as Trish has said up to an hour before seems reasonable lee way but P&O need 

to make clear what their cut off times are to passengers .

Lots were buying tea and coffee when they got to the check in area and carried it through to the departures even through security, some of the staff were clearly embarrassed having to carry chairs outside, when obviously the more elderly passengers should have been allowed seating inside,

Appalling treatment from P &O

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Lots were buying tea and coffee when they got to the check in area and carried it through to the departures even through security, some of the staff were clearly embarrassed having to carry chairs outside, when obviously the more elderly passengers should have been allowed seating inside,

Appalling treatment from P &O

I don't know how the cafe will survive if customers can't buy anything until they check in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, True Devonian said:

Hi Tring. I know this is not the appropriate thread but was just wondering how your cruise went. How was Arcadia and your overall experience.

Will do, I have noticed other threads, but had wifi for only a few very short times when away so did not respond then, but will take a bit of time so needs to wait.  We arrived back home last night, I am not too well and still very tired and I have a hospital apt this afternoon.  Cases not touched yet either, except to find something to wear just now 🙂

Overall it was an excellent cruise, great ports, lovely weather and the ship is fine with good staff, though not as well staffed as they could be so busy.  A lot of things seems to have been refurbed, so I would not say it is in poor condition.  A few public loos were out of order towards the end pf the cruise, but there was always a loo to use.   That compared very favorably with August when many ladies public loos were out of order and never seemed to get attention - this time it was not always the same loo, so obviously they are being dealt with.

• Like 3

It’s disappointing to read that the arrival times are being applied to the smaller ships. I can understand it for the larger ships due to their high capacities and overwhelming the terminal but the system for other ships has worked just fine in the past. We travelled on Queen Victoria with Cunard from Southampton last month which is a similar sized ship to Arcadia, there were no such restrictions and it’s the same terminal and no doubt the same check in and security staff.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It’s disappointing to read that the arrival times are being applied to the smaller ships. I can understand it for the larger ships due to their high capacities and overwhelming the terminal but the system for other ships has worked just fine in the past.

I would not altogether disagree but once you start having one system for one ship and/or terminal and another system for another ship and/or terminal then you start getting confusion so I can understand the reasoning behind one system for all ships at all terminals.

That is not to say that I believe that the current system is ideal - in fact far from it.

Basically this is hole that P&O have dug for themselves by not enforcing arrival times in the past

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It’s disappointing to read that the arrival times are being applied to the smaller ships. I can understand it for the larger ships due to their high capacities and overwhelming the terminal but the system for other ships has worked just fine in the past. We travelled on Queen Victoria with Cunard from Southampton last month which is a similar sized ship to Arcadia, there were no such restrictions and it’s the same terminal and no doubt the same check in and security staff.

Absolutely agree, we also cruised on Queen Victoria in April from Southampton, and the embarkation and disembarkation process was very easy in fact a pleasure an excellent start to our holiday.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would not altogether disagree but once you start having one system for one ship and/or terminal and another system for another ship and/or terminal then you start getting confusion so I can understand the reasoning behind one system for all ships at all terminals.

That is not to say that I believe that the current system is ideal - in fact far from it.

Basically this is hole that P&O have dug for themselves by not enforcing arrival times in the past

Agreed. Joe & Jane Public can be really difficult, as over 13 years in a customer service type role proved to me. Whilst it may not be likely, it is quite possible that operating different systems could lead to near riots at check-in for the big ships if loads of pax turn up expecting to get on the minute they arrive, regardless of their embarkation time...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, david63 said:

But still the basic question is, how is it that no other cruise line has the same problem at Southampton, not even Cunard or Princess which are both also part of Carnival.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But still the basic question is, how is it that no other cruise line has the same problem at Southampton, not even Cunard or Princess which are both also part of Carnival.

Cunard do not have the size of ships, and therefore the number of passengers, that P&O and Princess have which may have some bearing on the issue - and perhaps Cunard passengers are better behaved and do as they are told!!

With Princess on many of the cruises ex Southampton there are many passengers flying in from over the pond and are then bussed from London to Southampton so there is some control over when those  passengers arrive.

With P&O the majority of passengers are from the UK and with some there is the attitude "I am on my holidays and I will do as I want"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Absolutely agree, we also cruised on Queen Victoria in April from Southampton, and the embarkation and disembarkation process was very easy in fact a pleasure an excellent start to our holiday.

Our check in time was 10am at Horizon terminal on MSC Virtuosa in April and we were on board at 10.30am

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our check in time was 10am at Horizon terminal on MSC Virtuosa in April and we were on board at 10.30am

Hi Graham we had the same on MSC Virtuosa in March the embarkation process was excellent as was the parking at AB parking. Why P &O can’t do the same is beyond me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, david63 said:

What about all those who in the past have posted on here and other forum, "oh just turn up when you like,  Thats what I do" These people are part of the problem.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We were directed to the arrivals if we wanted to use the toilets,

I thought that arrivals and departures both shared the same building, with easy access to both areas. So what is there to prevent passengers from just using the departure side seating, or indeed sneaking up the stairs to departures proper?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, daiB said:

What about all those who in the past have posted on here and other forum, "oh just turn up when you like,  Thats what I do" These people are part of the problem.

Since that seems to be the system that RCL, Celebrity and MSC use very successfully, then why cannot P&O do the same?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought that arrivals and departures both shared the same building, with easy access to both areas. So what is there to prevent passengers from just using the departure side seating, or indeed sneaking up the stairs to departures proper?

You couldn’t do that in Ocean or Mayflower they are part of the same building but separate. No idea about Horizon or City 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Since that seems to be the system that RCL, Celebrity and MSC use very successfully, then why cannot P&O do the same?

If RCL, Celebrity and MSC are anything like Princess because many passengers have flights to catch they start disembarkation a lot earlier. Therefore because they are off the ship earlier they can start preparing staterooms and then embark next load of cruiser's earlier.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I had also asked if people were allowed to use the toilets in the disembarkation section of the terminal, explaining  I had been able to do that for a Princess cruise in covid times (a particular point for me).  I was told they could arrange for people to use loos if needed (he pointed towards the disembarkation section as he said so, hance I presume that  is what he meant). 

I was into this forum and social media for a number of weeks before we travelled, so we were well aware of the situation regards P&O having people queue outside the terminal if they arrived early, so had plenty of time to plan our time on embarkation day.  What I would say is lacking, is the information from P&O before the cruise, giving a clear explanation of that system.  The  request to arrive at your embarkation time is in no way sufficient.

We would never consider a big journey on embarkation day, so always stay in a hotel if we cruise from Southampton, though even for smaller distances we have always had a pit stop near to the port to use loos and, if necessary, have a drink/refreshments.  For this cruise we had stayed in a hotel in the Winchester area, so were far from happy to just leave the hotel at a time suitable for a late arrival time and drive to the port, so we had a couple of plans depending upon the weather and what we wanted to do on the day.  As it was a good day, we decided to go to Romsey, which is just north of M271, so no need to get onto the M3 or M27.  We checked out of our hotel at 11 am and had a pleasant scenic journey to Romsey, avoiding motorways, spending time there strolling around a little and then found a lovely tea room and small museum which we could access with our hand luggage which contained valuables, though the car park in Romsey also seemed a pretty safe one for the other luggage.  For a bad weather option I had identified a couple of Southampton pubs, were we could hole up for a while and that had car parks looking safe enough to park the car with most of our luggage.  I had even googled the menus in case we wanted something to eat instead of just drinks - I have often done the same thing when we have had holidays when needed us to catch a certain train later in the day, so we wanted to be near the station for a while before the train departure time.  It was a very pleasant relaxed embarkation day for us due to that planning, but we were not going to arrive at the terminal as late as 15 mins before last embarkation time, so were aware we may have had a small problem there, but were prepared for it.  As it happened there was hardly anyone around later in the afternoon, so we were just whisked straight through the terminal very quickly.  I was told the problems were earlier in the day, not at the time we arrived.

It is interesting that the person I spoke to did say people were beginning to turn up at their arrival time, so word is obviously getting around, but as I said earlier it is a shame that only people who use cruise forums and/or social media are aware of the situation with others having no idea of what to expect, thinking the rigid embarkation requirements during covid times had now dissipated into what was in place pre covid.  The new system may well run very smoothly if people do start to arrive at their embarkation times or a reasonable time prior to that.  It would removed the time we have often spent previously waiting in the terminal pre cruise, which always seemed a big drag. I can see they will not have enough facilities to manage embarkations for the big ships, but having different systems for different ships would be quite confusing and potentially cause problems from a customer service perspective as others have said.

I had specifically spoken to someone at the terminal to ask a number of questions about how the cruise embarkations were going, so I could give feed back here regards that at this current time.  I had felt there was a fair bit of confusion about embarkations before we travelled, as each person could only give their own experience which depended upon their particular situation, ship, arrival time etc.  My feedback is only from one person working at the terminals though and about how we planned our embarkation day, so will hardly be relevant to all on an ongoing basis.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2