Strict arrival times

Babybooface

• 2 weeks later...

As an update today joining Britannia at Mayflower terminal, decided to drive rather than risk the unreliable trains, so arrived to drop the bags off and then go off to park the car.

Arrived at the bag drip at 11am just as they were opening so not too many cars queuing but it took a few minutes for staff to arrive before I could leave the bags. 

After returning at 12 after parking the car for a 12.30 time slot then I was waived away from the ‘on time’ entrance to the enormous ‘you arrived too early queue’ so deciding I didn’t want to be stood waiting in the sun found an ‘alternative location’ that did have seats. 

Returned at 12.30 and ushered straight through, and overheard them calling anyone from the queue with a boarding time of 1pm or earlier. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, 9265359 said:

As an update today joining Britannia at Mayflower terminal, decided to drive rather than risk the unreliable trains, so arrived to drop the bags off and then go off to park the car.

Arrived at the bag drip at 11am just as they were opening so not too many cars queuing but it took a few minutes for staff to arrive before I could leave the bags. 

After returning at 12 after parking the car for a 12.30 time slot then I was waived away from the ‘on time’ entrance to the enormous ‘you arrived too early queue’ so deciding I didn’t want to be stood waiting in the sun found an ‘alternative location’ that did have seats. 

Returned at 12.30 and ushered straight through, and overheard them calling anyone from the queue with a boarding time of 1pm or earlier. 

What P&O should do is define exactly what is meant by too early.

Some thing like , if you arrive more than X minutes before your stated arrival time you will  not be allowed in the terminal and will have to join the too early queue.

Whether is 15 or 30 minutes should be made clear.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Some thing like , if you arrive more than X minutes before your stated arrival time you will  not be allowed in the terminal and will have to join the too early queue.

If ever P&O figure that out they may also want to apply it to port times as opposed to early morning, or  late afternoon etc. When I was working early morning was 04:00 now retired it is nearer 08:00.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I would not disagree but as always P&O like to keep their options open at the expense of the passenger.

I can, in this case, understand why a specific number of minutes is given as they will want to keep it "fluid" depending on what the queues are like - it would not go down well if all the check-in desks were empty and there were 500 queuing outside.

Until P&O get a proper arrival/check-in system up and running (like other cruise lines have been able to do for years) this problem is not going to go away.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would not disagree but as always P&O like to keep their options open at the expense of the passenger.

I can, in this case, understand why a specific number of minutes is given as they will want to keep it "fluid" depending on what the queues are like - it would not go down well if all the check-in desks were empty and there were 500 queuing outside.

Logically the bigger the ship the more strict they need to be with timing.

I'm sure that there will be no complaints if you are not held outside if things go well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not necessarily - it depends on how many check-in desks they use for each ship.

If they use the same number of check-in desks for all ships then you are probably right, but if the number of check-in desks is proportionate to the number of passengers then nothing changes.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Until P&O get a proper arrival/check-in system up and running (like other cruise lines have been able to do for years) this problem is not going to go away.

I can only comment on Mayflower terminal. Before covid but since it was revamped one used to go into the terminal show your boarding pass and depending on boarding time were given a coloured card with a letter on it and wait inside on seats for the colour and letter to be called.

In May 23 people were queuing outside the terminal at 11:45 with Priority boarders being called forward to enter the terminal. At this time there was no one at the fully staffed check in desks, I don’t know if all the priority boarders had the same arrival time of 12:15 or before. The plan appeared to be to hold the queue outside until all the priority boarders had been checked in and indeed boarded. As when the Caribbean tier started boarding before 12:00 the queue was still being held outside. I believe others have stated on this forum that the queue is not allowed in en mass on a first arrived basis but times are called out and invited in. I don’t know if this system is a hangover from covid where they did not want hundreds inside the terminal, or as others had said to discourage people arriving too early and having potentially thousands queuing exasperated by the need to book on the app.

Edited by Bill Y

I have a 12.30 priority boarding time at Mayflower next week. I aim to get there at 12.15 and expect to be waved into the terminal bypassing the queue. However there are so many passengers Caribbean tier or higher nowadays that things might change

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

there are so many passengers Caribbean tier or higher nowadays that things might change

I think that is a problem that has been brewing for some time, even pre Covid - the Peninsular Club has become too "top heavy"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Not necessarily - it depends on how many check-in desks they use for each ship.

If they use the same number of check-in desks for all ships then you are probably right, but if the number of check-in desks is proportionate to the number of passengers then nothing changes.

I think the bottleneck ends up being security and only 2 X-ray machines, which is same for all ships.

On the mega ships , with 6000 people in 4 hours,  25 people a minute , queue management , especially security checks must be a nightmare. 

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'm sure that there will be no complaints if you are not held outside if things go well

This is very true.

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think the bottleneck ends up being security and only 2 X-ray machines, which is same for all ships.

On the mega ships , with 6000 people in 4 hours,  25 people a minute , queue management , especially security checks must be a nightmare. 

This is correct. The pinch point is security. The reason for the queuing is to keep the number of people in the terminal at a safe level. Security is slower than check-in typically so if not managed, you would get a build up between security and check-in.

Before Iona arrived, additional security was installed in the Ocean terminal but anyone who has been through an airport will know how hit and miss it is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

When we went on Iona 8 scanners were operational and there were no hold ups, apart from the DH having to unlace his shoes, take his belt off etc and then put it all back on again. 

27 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

DH having to unlace his shoes, take his belt off etc and then put it all back on again. 

Probably the only time we try and make our waists bigger than they really are, especially as I have usually lost a few pounds for the cruise and really need the belt.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I seem to recall a similar system for the staycation cruises. If you turned up much to.early at the drive through test station you were sent away. I think the leeway was 30 minutes.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:04 AM, davecttr said:

My choice for Ocean terminal would be a wander to the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis for some pints of Doom Bar and some fish and chips, then a somewhat erratic walk back to the terminal 🥴

Sounds great apart from the Doom Bar (terrible pint) ! 

Seriously though we are booked to stay the night before our cruise (28th July) in The White Star Tavern pub. We have a 2.30pm boarding time so am hoping that we can leave luggage with them and have a wander round as it looks like its pretty close to the terminal 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

Sounds great apart from the Doom Bar (terrible pint) ! 

Seriously though we are booked to stay the night before our cruise (28th July) in The White Star Tavern pub. We have a 2.30pm boarding time so am hoping that we can leave luggage with them and have a wander round as it looks like its pretty close to the terminal 

Yep, easy walk across the park. 

If you can't leave your luggage at the hotel, you can drop it off earlier then go back for a wander. 

Have a great cruise, 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, easy walk across the park. 

If you can't leave your luggage at the hotel, you can drop it off earlier then go back for a wander. 

Have a great cruise, 

Andy 

Thanks Andy though have just double checked and seen that we are at mayflower so not quite so easy may change to the ibis as that looks much closer and we are coming in my train too so right next to station 

• Like 2

I have just been given an interesting piece of information regarding the queuing system. I complained to  P&O about staff managing the queue being worried that they would lose their jobs if they let people through early. That is what one lady told me. To my mind it sounds like the satff are being bullied. 

However it transpires that the queuing system is not in the control of  P&O, it is the ground handling staff ie Associated British Ports who own the port and Intercruises who employ the staff. I don't know if sending those companies feedback will do any good.

22 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I have just been given an interesting piece of information regarding the queuing system. I complained to  P&O about staff managing the queue being worried that they would lose their jobs if they let people through early. That is what one lady told me. To my mind it sounds like the satff are being bullied. 

However it transpires that the queuing system is not in the control of  P&O, it is the ground handling staff ie Associated British Ports who own the port and Intercruises who employ the staff. I don't know if sending those companies feedback will do any good.

What would you like to say to there companies 

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

What would you like to say to there companies 

In brief, making people queue outside is not acceptable unless the waiting area in the terminal is full. On my recent visit the seats were empty.

Some of the staff are being bullied IMHO. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

In brief, making people queue outside is not acceptable unless the waiting area in the terminal is full. On my recent visit the seats were empty.

It doesn't quite add up Cathy. 

We were early dropping off bags, were happy to go off for lunch but they waved us through as not busy. 

Nobody seemed in fear for their jobs that day...

Andy

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It doesn't quite add up Cathy. 

We were early dropping off bags, were happy to go off for lunch but they waved us through as not busy. 

Nobody seemed in fear for their jobs that day...

Andy

I am glad to hear it. I spoke to the staff about the procedure as I wanted to understand why it was done in that way. One lady answered that she was worried she would lose her job if she let people through. As an employer I would be mortified if one of my staff felt she had to do something in a certain way or lose her job.  That implies I had bullied her.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I am glad to hear it. I spoke to the staff about the procedure as I wanted to understand why it was done in that way. One lady answered that she was worried she would lose her job if she let people through. As an employer I would be mortified if one of my staff felt she had to do something in a certain way or lose her job.  That implies I had bullied her.

As a mere employee during my working years I have always felt if I did not do my job in the way which was expected that repercussions would be encountered, including loosing my job.  As a manager, my husband is completely in agreement with that.  That does not amount to bullying.

Are you really suggesting that you would be happy to employ someone who went against your instructions and expectations, continuing to pay them to do that job?

If you have questions about the methods used, would it not be better that you spoke to P&O about it, as the staff are working on their behalf, even if via another company?

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Having empty seats is a necessary part of making the system work.

Starting from the proposition that those who arrive within alloted time should be able to sit down whilst waiting to be called. They need to keep empty seats for these. How many, one minutes worth , obviously to few. If they keep empty seats for only just 15 minutes worth of people turning up, that for a big ship is 375 seats. So it may look as if there are plenty of empty seats but that's just a sensible buffer

If when ever there was empty seats they let early arrivals in , any hiccup and there would be absolutely no space for on time arrivals

Edited by Windsurfboy