A Flights by Celebrity error that worked to my favor.

Stockjock

@Stockjock your story is just one of many reported here over the years.  I think FbC is great in concept but often the reality is more PITA than it's worth.  I have learned a valuable lesson vicariously through the experience of others and that is to never put the control of my airline reservations into the hands of a third party.  Hopefully all is sorted to your satisfaction and your cruise goes off without a hitch!

• Like 3

I’d also be in the “if it sounds too good to be true…” camp. Unfortunately they burst your excitement on free business class but just like when mistake airfares are published they are usually going to tell you sorry, but too bad. Something obviously got crossed up but I feel like this would have been more to do with your LH reservation than Celebrity. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

When I started reading this post I said to myself...sounds too good to be true...wonder when the other shoe will drop...

and...here it is...

The Middle Mic Drop GIF by ABC Network

From what I can gather, it was not too good to be true, it was true.

I had the reservation moved over to United. I had a new United Airlines confirmation code, I was offered seat assignments on United and I chose two in business class, side-by-side, and for three days, everything looked great.

Then, Flights by Celebrity came along and initially added in the old outbound flights, creating a duplication on the same booking number and the same ticket number, and obviously that doesn’t fly, so to speak. And then they were unable to fix the problem, despite conversations with me on and off over a minimum seven hour period. And finally, they canceled the entire booking and redid it. They denied canceling the booking, but Lufthansa told me that it had been re-booked and the original booking refunded back to their credit card, and they gave me the last several digits, which wasn’t my credit card, so obviously it belongs to them. And once they canceled everything not only did the business class seats go away, but the prior history went away, too, so there was no further option to move the flight to something else due to the previous schedule change, because it no longer existed.  

I also had several celebrity travel agents. Tell me that I should contact Lufthansa and they would be able to fix this for me, and I am really surprised that travel agents wouldn’t know that they can’t do that without the travel, agent’s authorization, so that wasted of a lot more time.

I had more of the same type of action in the following day, trying to have conversations with them about getting things reinstated, or even getting the appropriate onboard credit. As I mentioned earlier, they offered me $200 in compensation, which really does not make up for killing my $8400 business class seats, but it is better than nothing, and they couldn’t get that right. It took over an hour to convince them that $300 plus $200 equals $500 and not $400. 

Once again, I do concede that I didn’t pay for business class flights, but of course, that is not the point. The point is that they were offered to me on an unsolicited basis for Lufthansa due to a schedule change, and I cleared them through Flights by Celebrity before I accepted the offer. And then they basically sabotaged the offer through what I consider to be incompetence.

I have worked for one of the big Wall Street firms for over 30 years. When one of my clients has a problem, even if it’s not of my doing, I take ownership of the problem and I get it fixed and I get it fixed fast in most cases. If there’s some reason I can’t get it fixed or if the client has a misunderstanding, I will let them know ASAP, but I will never transfer them all over the place, back-and-forth, pointing at others. I will take ownership and solve the problem if it’s humanly possible to do so. I would like to see them approach problems in the same way, rather than shuffling it, back-and-forth between themselves airlines, and countless individuals, making things worse and frustrating the customer. In fact, they made things so bad, I had to take anxiety medicine, lol.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

From knowing Lufthansa and Star Alliance well and flying with them a lot, I would not be surprised that the mistake happened there (some miscoding) and would have been caught sooner or later anyway.  LH is not into the  business of giving away free upgrades - certainly not from basic eco to business.

We also thought once that we were placed in Business, despite having booked Eco, but this was quickly rectified at the gate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

They are good for discounted airfares,  but it is always best to book directly vs. third party for many reasons.

I have only used FBC three times.  One for a cruise I ended up cancelling, one for a cruise that we took (Oct 2022 Constellation Rome to Tampa TA), and one that we hope to take next year (Miami to Los Angeles, Panama Canal).  From those 3 limited experiences, I have not found FBC prices to be significantly better than what the airline websites showed at the same time.

After successfully using FBC for our flights on last Oct's TA (ORD-FCO and TPA to ORD), we did not have any nightmare problems, but I disliked the FBC experience compared to what it would have been if I had booked directly with United:

1. When we purchase airfare directly with United using our United branded credit card, my wife and I each get a free checked bag. When we purchased our United airfare thru FBC (using a United branded credit card), we did not get the extra free checked bag and we ended up having to pay a checked bag fee.  The checked bag fees wiped out the $100 savings that we got from Celebrity for booking through FBC (oh, but I got 5 Club Points for booking through FBC, so there's that!).

2. After making our reservations online through FBC, it took several long phone calls to get our frequent flyer and KTN information attached to the reservation even though I filled those fields out when I made the initial booking on FBC's website.  For some reason, I could not do it thru United's website (yes, it could be a user error problem).  I also had to call to get my seats assigned.  All that inconvenience goes away when you book direct.

3. I am fairly certain that the amount of frequent flyer points that I was awarded for the flights was less than I would have received if I booked myself.  However I am not 100% sure that this is true because I don't remember the actual one-letter fare code for the tickets that I could have bought through the United website.

4. I would periodically receive computer generated emails from FBC advising me that my itinerary was affected by an airline schedule change and that they were working on it and would have it resolved with a turnaround time of 48 hours - 30 days depending on when my flight was scheduled to leave.  The first time I got this email, I went to the United website only to find that the flight schedule had changed by a few minutes--so no big deal.  There are two issues here.  First the email with its dramatic wording is automatically generated even for small flight schedule changes and can cause a lot of anxiety the first time you receive it.  The 2nd problem is if your flights really required FBC to do something to fix it (being rebooked on new flights), the published expected turnaround times are way too long compared to what you can do by yourself if you have control over the ticket.  Also, the airlines are working to make it easier for passengers to deal with flight disruptions/cancellations on their app: United upgrades mobile app, allowing fast rebooking for canceled, delayed flights

So why did I book FBC for next year's cruise?  First off, I only used them for the return flights but not on my precious outbound flights to get me to our cruise.  I saw on Delta's website a very good price for First Class to go home: LAX-MSP-ORD.  We usually do not spend money on domestic first class although with each passing year, I keep thinking about it.  I currently hold two award tickets for Economy on a LAX-ORD non stop flight to go home on American Airlines which can be cancelled with no penalty.  I wanted time to think about it and to keep the option open for booking it before prices went up, so I went to the FBC website and found the same first class fare on the same Delta flights (it was $5 pp cheaper) and I booked it.  Although my frequent flyer and KTN information that I entered while making the booking didn't stick, I was able to go to the DL's website and add my freq flyer and KTN information and I was able to choose our seats as well.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, odysee said:

From knowing Lufthansa and Star Alliance well and flying with them a lot, I would not be surprised that the mistake happened there (some miscoding) and would have been caught sooner or later anyway.  LH is not into the  business of giving away free upgrades - certainly not from basic eco to business.

We also thought once that we were placed in Business, despite having booked Eco, but this was quickly rectified at the gate.

All that I can tell you is that I was offered I think 7 replacement flight options, and I'd estimate that 3 of them had 1 leg in business class.  This particular flight was had only 1 set of side-by-side economy seats left in the back of the plane, near the restrooms, so perhaps that was why business class was offered.

So again, reservation modified, written confirmation sent, united locator code issued, business class seat assignments offered and selected, all good for about 3 days, and then our friends from Flights by Celebrity show up to butcher the reservation and afterwards waste at least 13 hours of my time with conflicting information, nothing getting accomplished, and pointing fingers at others.

Here's a copy of the confirmation.  And another confirm showing seat assignments.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

I only use flights by Celebrity when I want to reserve a flight 10-11 months out, get confirmed seats, then not having to pay until final payment.  I always do my research up front and tell them which flights I want them to book for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

3. I am fairly certain that the amount of frequent flyer points that I was awarded for the flights was less than I would have received if I booked myself.  However I am not 100% sure that this is true because I don't remember the actual one-letter fare code for the tickets that I could have bought through the United website.

I am thinking that you received points for what FBC paid to the airlines and not the profit that you paid to FBC.  

Two (2) questions:

1) Were you happy with the flights, class and seats as originally booked?

2) What is the reason you did not book any business class seats at the point of reservation???

For me, FBC has been good, so far, even with airline schedule changes, because the airline and FBC contact me about the five (5) minute departure changes (two (2) so far) and I thought good an additional five (5) minutes in the lounge... LOL

We book what we like at the point of reserving and do not think about any upgrades, as for the most part there are no upgrades to be had as we usually fly business class internationally and first class on flights more than three (3) hours domestically... 

No room for change of seats unless there is an aircraft change which forces it...

At any rate, I trust you will end up having a great sailing despite this air thing gone awry...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Two (2) questions:

1) Were you happy with the flights, class and seats as originally booked?

2) What is the reason you did not book any business class seats at the point of reservation???

For me, FBC has been good, so far, even with airline schedule changes, because the airline and FBC contact me about the five (5) minute departure changes (two (2) so far) and I thought good an additional five (5) minutes in the lounge... LOL

We book what we like at the point of reserving and do not think about any upgrades, as for the most part there are no upgrades to be had as we usually fly business class internationally and first class on flights more than three (3) hours domestically... 

No room for change of seats unless there is an aircraft change which forces it...

At any rate, I trust you will end up having a great sailing despite this air thing gone awry...

bon voyage

No.  6 am was too early, but it was what was offered.

Business class is too expensive.  There is no way I'd spend that kind of money.

I think it's worth repeating that I did not request an upgrade.  Rather, it was offered by Lufthansa on an unsolicited basis.  I told Flights by Celebrity about this and they confirmed that I could accept it.  I accepted the offer, and it was confirmed.

Respectfully, in my view, it makes the questions irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

I think it's worth repeating that I did not request an upgrade.  Rather, it was offered by Lufthansa on an unsolicited basis.  I told Flights by Celebrity about this and they confirmed that I could accept it.  I accepted the offer, and it was confirmed.

Actually, for me, you have answered the questions quite succinctly and clearly.

For that, I thank you... 

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:43 AM, Homosassa said:

Why is it that when you are being slick  and proud of yourself for getting something for nothing and the  manipulation is caught and changed back to what you contracted for, you get angry at the cruise line and not yourself?

I blocked every person who felt that this was a great remark, and I would encourage them to block me as well.

With all due respect, I don't appreciate the sentiment.  It doesn't matter what I booked.  It doesn't matter if I asked for business class or not.  The fact is that I received an unsolicited upgrade to business class, it was approved, and it was maddening and inappropriate for Flights by Celebrity to interfere with it.

Enough said.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, for me, you have answered the questions quite succinctly and clearly.

For that, I thank you... 

bon voyage

P.S. I'm sure you understand what it means to be passive aggressive.  One more added, as referenced above.

Shame, as you seemed like a decent fellow.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I blocked every person who felt that this was a great remark, and I would encourage them to block me as well.

With all due respect, I don't appreciate the sentiment.  It doesn't matter what I booked.  It doesn't matter if I asked for business class or not.  The fact is that I received an unsolicited upgrade to business class, it was approved, and it was maddening and inappropriate for Flights by Celebrity to interfere with it.

Enough said.  

9 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

P.S. I'm sure you understand what it means to be passive aggressive.  One more added, as referenced above.

Shame, as you seemed like a decent fellow.

Very mature.

Happy to join your iggy list...enough said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stockjock said:

P.S. I'm sure you understand what it means to be passive aggressive.  One more added as referenced above.

Shame, you seemed like a decent fellow.

Actually, my post was to discern what the actual facts were... thus my question, which you answered accordingly.

I understand that you are upset, mainly, because you would have had to spend upwards of $8k for a class of service which is very desirable, under conditions which you in reality were not entitled to based on the fare class paid.

I can understand that you were offered a 'no charge' upgrade and later had it removed and you were placed on a flight and in the class you actually paid for, which has caused you upset regardless of which company is responsible for taking it away.

You have yet to tell us what you would have paid for your flights were you to book directly with the airlines vs FBC, which is fine.

If you believe that I Am not decent because I drilled down what the real issue about your upset is, then so be it.

The subject of your thread is: FBC ..."error that worked to my favor" or did we mis-read it???

As it turns out, that error in your favor only lasted but for so long and now there is a war ensuing to re-instate that error... or do I have it incorrect?

I do not believe there were no personal attacks towards you, just the process you are taking for trying to get something for which you had not, in error or not, paid for.

To my way of thinking, you needed to be prepared to enjoy the original flight in case the "error" was reversed and from all of your subsequent postings you are not.

To be sure, be decent about the situation and accept that you had a good thing for as long as it lasted, what would you have done at the airport were you denied seating in business class at the airport??? Based on what you are writing here, I can only conject about it...

At any rate, I trust you have a great sailing and try to enjoy the flights to and from...

bon voyage

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If a flight change resulted in my rebooking and I saw I could rebook a bus class seat at no additional charge I would immediately suspect an error (especially with Lufthansa).  If it was an error, that would likely play into the change back to the original flight.    

I understand your disappointment because you stumbled into something that was pretty awesome then it was taken away.   Disappointment aside, you are where you started.  It is too bad you could not have at least got the economy seats on the later flight.  That would have at least been something positive. 

Anyway, I'm curious.  Did you ever ask Lufthansa why there was zero charge for the business class seats on the rebooked flight?   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you book through FBC, your booking status is "confirmed" until you actually pay, at which time the booking status changes to "ticketed". 

I guess in hindsight (super hindsight), you could have locked in your good fortune by immediately contacting FBC and (after a very long hold time) pay for your ticket. 

IMG_6803.thumb.jpeg.880e22c916ff4ad20d7b7df1fc48d50a.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If a flight change resulted in my rebooking and I saw I could rebook a bus class seat at no additional charge I would immediately suspect an error (especially with Lufthansa).  If it was an error, that would likely play into the change back to the original flight.    

I understand your disappointment because you stumbled into something that was pretty awesome then it was taken away.   Disappointment aside, you are where you started.  It is too bad you could not have at least got the economy seats on the later flight.  That would have at least been something positive. 

Anyway, I'm curious.  Did you ever ask Lufthansa why there was zero charge for the business class seats on the rebooked flight?   

It's an automated process.  As mentioned, on the flight I chose, main cabin was about 98% sold out.  There were only 2 economy seats together in row 50 (I think) near the restroom.  More availability in business class.  I suspect that's why I was offered that.  Not all of the flights offered had a leg in business class, but to me, not selecting business class for free, when offered, is a bit of an IQ test fail.

I think the fact that the options were offered at all was related to European EU261 regulations, which tend to be quite consumer-friendly in the event of flight delays and cancellations.  Some Americans may be unfamiliar with EU261.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide-eu261-flight-compensation/

Edited by Stockjock

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

It's an automated process.  As mentioned, on the flight I chose, main cabin was about 98% sold out.  There were only 2 economy seats together in row 50 (I think) near the restroom.  More availability in business class.  I suspect that's why I was offered that.  Not all of the flights offered had a leg in business class, but to me, not selecting business class for free, when offered, is a bit of an IQ test fail.

OK.  I've traveled by air enough to know when something might be too good to be true.  To forestall problems like the one you encountered, I would have confirmed the business class seating.  Best know up front than find out later.   Advice you can ignore considering your superior IQ.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK.  I've traveled by air enough to know when something might be too good to be true.  To forestall problems like the one you encountered, I would have confirmed the business class seating.  Best know up front than find out later.   Advice you can ignore considering your superior IQ.   

I'd rather ignore those who reply with snarky remarks.  It's been an area of focus this evening.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1