MERGED - QM2 2024 Brooklyn Revised Schedule

TheOldBear

The local Port Authority (and even harbor pilots) control the ins and outs of docking and cruise lines have little control of that. 
However, Cunard can do a better job of explaining why there was a change. It seems that so many complaints on these boards about Cunard center on their poor communications with pax. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

It would indeed be interesting to know how berthing priority is determined. Cunard may be at fault, but perhaps one should not automatically assume so.

My guess would be Priority to the ship that Home Ports with weekly sailings vs a ship that ports less frequently ? 

Edited by MCC retired

One big factor may be the fact that MSC is a SUPER POWER in the shipping industry compared to Carnivore Corp.

MSC is one of the biggest cargo shipping companies in the world.

Sailing down the Hudson River from teh Westside  Midtown Piers is the most spectacular experience - I've done it since the 1970's - On Cunard, MSC , HAL, Home Lines - it always has a special feel - sorry Brooklyn!!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

One big factor may be the fact that MSC is a SUPER POWER in the shipping industry compared to Carnivore Corp.

MSC is one of the biggest cargo shipping companies in the world.

Sailing down the Hudson River from teh Westside  Midtown Piers is the most spectacular experience - I've done it since the 1970's - On Cunard, MSC , HAL, Home Lines - it always has a special feel - sorry Brooklyn!!!

Sorry beg to differ.....

The NY skyline isn't what it use to be. It was more iconic in the past and now too Condo Crazy along the shore.

Yes, it was once interesting..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry beg to differ.....

The NY skyline isn't what it use to be. It was more iconic in the past and now too Condo Crazy along the shore.

Yes, it was once interesting..

Manhattan is an ever changing Metropolis with unmatched history, architecture, innovativeness & is known as the greatest city in the world...NYC, London, Paris , Rome.... I'll keep Manhattan & the Westside Piers - you have Brookly & hopefully everyone has wonderful Sailaway's!!!!

• Like 1

I'm mildly curious (and not just academically, since I'm now on a six-night) what effects the added/removed days will have on formal nights.  I have little knowledge in this area; what is Cunard's normal kerning for galas on six night cruises?  On nines?

49 minutes ago, Drysil said:

I'm mildly curious (and not just academically, since I'm now on a six-night) what effects the added/removed days will have on formal nights.  I have little knowledge in this area; what is Cunard's normal kerning for galas on six night cruises?  On nines?

Cunard does very few six night cruises. The only ones I can find on itineraries the past couple years are segments from Civitavecchia to Southampton, Kuala Lumpur to Singapore, Adelaide to Fremantle and Fremantle to Melbourne. All those only had one gala evening scheduled. But I don't think those are valid to inform what will happen on a transatlantic crossing that's being shortened to six nights.

The standard schedule on a seven night crossing is for the gala evenings to be held on the second and sixth evenings. My expectation for the shortened six night crossings would be for Cunard to still schedule two gala evenings and hold them on the second and fifth evenings. Of course we have no recent experience with six night crossings; certainly none since Cunard reduced the number of gala evenings from three to two per crossing. So this is simply what I anticipate will happen on the six night crossings.

For the crossings that are being extended from seven to eight nights, I expect they will have two gala evenings, possibly holding them on the second and seventh evenings.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, bluemarble said:

I'm seeing a report on other social media indicating the same thing may be happening to the June 9, 2024 westbound crossing as well. There is a report the previously scheduled call to New York on June 16, 2024 is being moved one day earlier to June 15, 2024 instead.

Yes, we are on this sailing also. I guess she will sail faster than usual? 

1 hour ago, SPacificbound said:

Yes, we are on this sailing also. I guess she will sail faster than usual? 

Yes, some rough calculations of mine show QM2 needing to sail at an average speed of about 19.3 knots for a typical 7-night westbound crossing. That increases to an average speed of about 22.7 knots for a 6-night westbound crossing.

If anyone is wondering why Cunard decided to shorten westbound crossings rather than eastbound crossings, that's probably because westbound crossings take 10 hours longer. Add 5 hours rather than lose 5 hours for time zone changes, for a net difference of 10 hours longer duration going westbound compared to eastbound. I figure QM2 would need to average about 24.4 knots to make a 6-night eastbound crossing in those 10 fewer hours compared to a westbound crossing.

• Like 3

(moved into this thread): I haven’t seen this change mentioned so just to flag that the original seven day eastbound TA due to leave NY on 6 Oct 2024 has, because of port availability, been advanced to a 4 Oct departure and will make additional stops at Boston and Newport before crossing the Atlantic.  Existing bookings are being offered refunds or a small amount of extra OBC as compensation.  Good news for those wanting to combine a TA with a mini-cruise experience with two shore days; not such good news for those of us who will have dogs on board, or who can’t embark on the earlier date.

Edited by IB2

On 6/25/2023 at 8:54 AM, bluemarble said:

Yes, some rough calculations of mine show QM2 needing to sail at an average speed of about 19.3 knots for a typical 7-night westbound crossing. That increases to an average speed of about 22.7 knots for a 6-night westbound crossing.

If anyone is wondering why Cunard decided to shorten westbound crossings rather than eastbound crossings, that's probably because westbound crossings take 10 hours longer. Add 5 hours rather than lose 5 hours for time zone changes, for a net difference of 10 hours longer duration going westbound compared to eastbound. I figure QM2 would need to average about 24.4 knots to make a 6-night eastbound crossing in those 10 fewer hours compared to a westbound crossing.

Six day crossings in both directions were possible, still with contingency time, because that’s how the schedule started when the ship was first in service.  As I understand it the change to a seven-day crossing was made for financial/marketing reasons, as selling a round week at sea was considered easier in the market, and having passengers at sea for the extra day maximised on board spend.  It also means that they can work to a weekly pattern with most of the departure days for east and westbound TAs falling regularly on the same day of the week.

On 6/22/2023 at 2:13 AM, Lakesregion said:

The real question that arises is why did Cunard not confirm their docking schedule with the cruise port before selling these cruises? surely the company and the ship that books first gets the space and it looks like would seem that someone else was awake and moved into what Cunard must have thought was theirs without asking. Terrible example of incompetant management.

Mistakes happen! As a regular using this terminal it could be asked why the admin at Brooklyn didn't clarify with Cunard? 

Oh and this does have an impact on me as I am travelling to NY on QM 2 from Southampton on 9th June 24 and have received the notification from Cunard.

I have to admit I am surprised at the generosity of Cunard in making the $50 payment to those on the EB cruise, they have been given an extra day so why should they be given an extra $50 OBC?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, Lakesregion said:

The real question that arises is why did Cunard not confirm their docking schedule with the cruise port before selling these cruises? surely the company and the ship that books first gets the space and it looks like would seem that someone else was awake and moved into what Cunard must have thought was theirs without asking. Terrible example of incompetant management.

Could be that Cunard got bumped when newcomer MSC needed Brooklyn for so many more homeport sailings . More sailings = more $$$ for the facility?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Catherine Janaway said:

I have to admit I am surprised at the generosity of Cunard in making the $50 payment to those on the EB cruise, they have been given an extra day so why should they be given an extra $50 OBC?

Just because EB passengers are given an extra day does not mean that they were not inconvenienced! Leaving on a Saturday instead of Sunday is a bit of a travel hassle for some of us and those with pets may have to incur extra costs to board them. 

• Like 1

Just now, esrs said:

Just because EB passengers are given an extra day does not mean that they were not inconvenienced! Leaving on a Saturday instead of Sunday is a bit of a travel hassle for some of us and those with pets may have to incur extra costs to board them. 

Seriously?

I think an extra days travel on board QM 2 PLUS boarding for a dog is not going to make me feel I need to get my hankie out!!

Just now, Catherine Janaway said:

Seriously?

I think an extra days travel on board QM 2 PLUS boarding for a dog is not going to make me feel I need to get my hankie out!!

Oh well, so sorry you can't sympathize that  a change in schedule either way can be an inconvenience and that you begrudge Cunard's kind gesture to compensate. We don't have a pet and there is enough time to adjust our other plans but that doesn't mean it isn't disruptive. BTW, we are also going to lose a day on our WB so that evens out, just means a Saturday arrival which is a bit of a pain for onward travel.  Glad Cunard understands that a change to a long-booked journey has unwelcome consequences. 

3 minutes ago, esrs said:

Oh well, so sorry you can't sympathize that  a change in schedule either way can be an inconvenience and that you begrudge Cunard's kind gesture to compensate. We don't have a pet and there is enough time to adjust our other plans but that doesn't mean it isn't disruptive. BTW, we are also going to lose a day on our WB so that evens out, just means a Saturday arrival which is a bit of a pain for onward travel.  Glad Cunard understands that a change to a long-booked journey has unwelcome consequences. 

You will however be compensated for the missed day, so you will still be getting a 14 night cruise for the cost of 13 nights plus 2 x $50.

While you think it is okay to put words in my mouth please don't, I NEVER said I begrudge the $50, I have spent a lot on my holiday so doesn't bother me, however I do think (as I actually said) I am surprised by the generosity of Cunard.

30 minutes ago, Catherine Janaway said:

You will however be compensated for the missed day, so you will still be getting a 14 night cruise for the cost of 13 nights plus 2 x $50.

While you think it is okay to put words in my mouth please don't, I NEVER said I begrudge the $50, I have spent a lot on my holiday so doesn't bother me, however I do think (as I actually said) I am surprised by the generosity of Cunard.

It's an inconvenience to me because it shaves two days off the time I have for my US road trip, and will award my dog two more days in captivity aboard the ship's kennels, where I will be with him during the day and so unable to disembark and visit the extra stops.  It will save me money, as the two nights accommodation is paid for and the extra OBC will cover another bottle of wine.  But that's not really the point - all sorts of people have all sorts of plans for and around their crossing, and Cunard appears to have dropped the ball somewhere with its 2014 planning.

1 minute ago, IB2 said:

It's an inconvenience to me because it shaves two days off the time I have for my US road trip, and will award my dog two more days in captivity aboard the ship's kennels, where I will be with him during the day and so unable to disembark and visit the extra stops.  It will save me money, as the two nights accommodation is paid for and the extra OBC will cover another bottle of wine.  But that's not really the point - all sorts of people have all sorts of plans for and around their crossing, and Cunard appears to have dropped the ball somewhere with its 2014 planning.

I am not into 'the blame game' too many people on that band wagon!

1 hour ago, IB2 said:

Cunard appears to have dropped the ball somewhere with its 2014 planning.

or some authority has dropped Cunard in it.

Cunard is getting flack for this and rightly so if it's their planning mistake, but does anyone actually know why this change has come about?

• Like 2

I noticed the changed voyages started showing up on the Cunard website yesterday. The initial search results still show the wrong dates and durations. But when you "View voyage details", the correct dates and durations show up.

For example, if you search for June 2024 QM2 voyages on the Cunard website, the search results show this misleading information for one of the westbound crossings which is being shortened to 6 nights.

Westbound Transatlantic Crossing (M416)

Ship
Queen Mary 2     7 nights

Embark
Southampton, England, UK     Jun 9, 2024

Disembark
New York, NY, USA     Jun 16, 2024

But then when you view the voyage details, here is the almost correct information. I say "almost correct" since the short blurb describing the voyage still says it's a 7-night voyage.

Westbound Transatlantic Crossing, 6 Nights

Queen Mary 2   Jun 9, 2024 - Jun 15, 2024
Departs : Southampton, England, UK   Arrives : New York, NY, USA

Embarking in Southampton, this 7-night voyage will whisk you across the Atlantic Ocean. Savor the freedom to spend each luxurious sea day however you please, indulging in the things you love most.

• Like 1