Trivia would be more fun without cheaters

USU_Aggie

On 6/27/2023 at 10:54 AM, odis said:

They should have a trivia contest at night in addition to the ones in the mornings or afternoons. That could really be interesting.  One ship had an 80s name that tune at 7:00 p.m. in the lobby.  It was a blast.

Some sailings used to have a pub quiz trivia in the Red Frog Pub around 9-10 pm.  Phones were not allowed, and the questions were not themed-based.  We won a few nights of that, including a tiebreaker to guess the age of the host's assistant.  Prizes included a medal and bottle of champagne or fish bowl each night.  

ETA: We used to do pub quizzes at our local bar and were winners/runner-ups most times, so we got really good at random trivia. 

Edited by maluhia87
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Just off the Carnival Liberty this morning.  The Fun Squad Host did in fact call out the cheaters.  He did it in a jovial way, saying things like Dr. Goggle is never wrong.  And of the three games, not one of the cheaters won.  In fact, all three came down to face off tie-breakers where you had to answer standing up without the assistance of your cellphone.  

👍 for both the fun squad and the non-cheaters.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

😂🤣

35+ cruises, never played trivia once.. funny to see how serious some people take a crappy piece of plastic dipped in gold paint….for real…???

It is the joy of winning (without cheating), not the ship on a stick itself. Though it is a nice reminder.

• Like 1

It is not only the trivia. They did a poolside spelling game for anyone and it ended up being mostly kids. The parents were MOUTHING the words/letters to their kids and the older ones were whispering to the little siblings. The staff running it let the littlest kid just read the next letter off her page! My kids were VERY annoyed because they were not cheating and the group spelled out words like Massachusetts off one letter by one letter. So, they gave the prize to a 6-year-old who had not actually spelled anything correctly! If they want to do a contest for only small kids and do appropriate words, then by all means! But this was crap. 

We also had one staff just change the rules she had stated whenever she wanted. Because of this, my kids were totally put off by most of the games. I don't really care and would do things just for fun, but kids, you know? It really does ruin the vibe when someone cheats and someone else should have been the winner. 

It was sweet to see my 9 yo deliver payback to the cheating family by beating them so hard in a physical competition. They could not cheat then!!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, maluhia87 said:

Some sailings used to have a pub quiz trivia in the Red Frog Pub around 9-10 pm.  Phones were not allowed, and the questions were not themed-based.  We won a few nights of that, including a tiebreaker to guess the age of the host's assistant.  Prizes included a medal and bottle of champagne or fish bowl each night.  

ETA: We used to do pub quizzes at our local bar and were winners/runner-ups most times, so we got really good at random trivia. 

We loved doing trivia in Red Frog. That was probably 8 years ago on Breeze. It had a fun vibe and b ack then, less internet so people weren’t cheating. 

On 6/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, starstruck05 said:

But the cruise before someone got all the questions right including the name of a teacher who is only mentioned once in the books and never in the movie. No way someone would have known that off the top of their head.

My son did lol, He blew everyone out of the water including the cheaters and took home that gold ship on a stick!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I take my son to HP Trivia everytime cause i know he will win it lol.  Even the host is completely amazed he knows some of the answers to questions.  Hell even im amazed at some of the answers he provides.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

My son did lol, He blew everyone out of the water including the cheaters and took home that gold ship on a stick!

They should have given him a ship on the stick made of real gold. 😊

• Like 2

I love trivia and have several ships on sticks from playing. It is my favorite thing to do, especially on sea days. But lately it seems there are only groups playing that often include someone with a phone getting answers.  I wish they would offer team trivia and triva with just one or two people.  I don't stand a chance against a group of 6 or 7 by myself. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SCcruiser123 said:

I love trivia and have several ships on sticks from playing. It is my favorite thing to do, especially on sea days. But lately it seems there are only groups playing that often include someone with a phone getting answers.  I wish they would offer team trivia and triva with just one or two people.  I don't stand a chance against a group of 6 or 7 by myself. 

Same here.  Once I was playing by myself and I came in second to a team that must have had ten players, At least when I when, there's no dilemma about who actually gets to keep the trophy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Make fun for yourself, stop worrying about others behavior that you can't control. If you really want one of the ships on a stick, buy it on eBay or beat the cheaters at their own game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCcruiser123 said:

I always feel I have a chance to win, but I guess I would feel differently if I saw a team using phones to cheat.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 3:13 PM, tonit964 said:

I agree but cheaters are at every trivia game on every ship and every cruise line.

I just play for fun and to see how many I can get right, I don't even think about trying to win anything because I know the cheaters are in the back googling away. 

Same. Me and my husband get a kick out of how much we don't know!

On 7/5/2023 at 7:43 PM, cruisinpips said:

😂🤣

35+ cruises, never played trivia once.. funny to see how serious some people take a crappy piece of plastic dipped in gold paint….for real…???

Darn, now we all have to be on the lookout for what you take seriously.

• Haha 3

I almost got thrown out of slogan trivia one time on Mardi Gras. The slogan in question was "Because you're worth it." The actual answer was a cosmetic company but I yelled out "Royal Caribbean" when the host was asking for answers. 

• Haha 2

The biggest argument I ever remember between the contestants and the person running the trivia was on a Holland America ship. The answer most of us gave was Holland. We were told wrong, the answer is the Netherlands as Holland is only a province. We all argued back asking if the cruise line we were sailing on was called Netherlands America Line. He gave in accepting both as a correct answer.

We have played trivia numerous times.  It is always just for the fun of it for us.  I came close to winning one time.  I missed it by one question. As far as cheating, it probably happens every time.  I always thought that trivia was an individual effort, so if you are playing as a group, would that not be technically cheating as well?

51 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We have played trivia numerous times.  It is always just for the fun of it for us.  I came close to winning one time.  I missed it by one question. As far as cheating, it probably happens every time.  I always thought that trivia was an individual effort, so if you are playing as a group, would that not be technically cheating as well?

Some cruise lines have group trivia.

Actually, on one of our Carnival cruises the person in charge had us do a series of 4 that was an exceptionally large grouping, the men against the women. We, the men, won all 4 much to the chagrin of the fun squad member in charge who said he had never had one side win all 4.

• Like 1

When I sailed on P and O Explorer last year in July, there was a Disney quiz. There was a great debate over the colour of Belle's dress. Some said gold, others yellow. It did look yellow in the cartoon version. Once it was pointed out, both groups got a point.

3 hours ago, wceprincess43 said:

When I sailed on P and O Explorer last year in July, there was a Disney quiz.

I'm demented, but I find it slightly amusing that a Carnival Corp. ship would have Disney trivia when Disney has their own ships with their own trivia sessions.  I wonder if they ask about Carnival there?  Probably not.  🙃

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Haha 3

On 7/12/2023 at 1:23 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm demented, but I find it slightly amusing that a Carnival Corp. ship would have Disney trivia when Disney has their own ships with their own trivia sessions.  I wonder if they ask about Carnival there?  Probably not.  🙃

I live in Melbourne, Australia and the Disney ship, Disney Wish, hadn't commenced sailing from Australia yet. P and O have possibly stopped doing that trivia quiz now.

• Thanks 1

People that cheat on trivia suck. 

Here's my solution.... to be 'eligible' to win the ship on a stick (or thingy on a stringy), phones in a basket in the front of the room. I know, I know....somebody would probably steal someone's phone or something. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AllenF said:

On 7/9/2023 at 6:50 AM, kdr69 said:

I honestly love that for your son! That’s awesome! Two of my nieces would know all of the answers too. 

On 7/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, fla33023 said:

Same. Me and my husband get a kick out of how much we don't know!

I just really like hearing all the questions and finding out fun little things I never knew before. One question I found funny was “how many lakes are there in MN?”  No one even guessed 10,000 which is what our license plates say. Someone guessed three and I cracked up. I said it was between 11,000 and 14,000 of larger lakes in any given year but more like 20k if you count the smaller ones. I got the point. 😂😂. I then revealed that I’m from MN. 

• Like 3