Confusing Acronyms

Teechur

39 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I know how to pronounce FUBAR and SNAFU.  Can you fill me in on the pronunciation of the other two?

That was interesting.  Thanks,

SNAFU is the nickname for the Ocean Medallion app. 🤡

FUBAR is the nickname for the Princess call center. 🤪

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

More often than not, it is easy to figure out CC from context (or thread title). 

But I do blame it on texting, tweeting, or other social media.  Grammar, punctuation, short cuts, capitalization, and grammatical marks (periods, apostrophes, etc) have been thrown out with syntax.

I am more bothered by posters using interchangeable condensations like FCD/FCC or Princess calling a cabin a mini-SUITE instead of a "balcony".  At least they changed it to "Reserved Class" to make sure everyone understood that they are moving to a "CLASS" society.  Oh, the glory days of the Titanic or Queen Mary in Long Beach.

As for me, I still have to ask someone who sends me letters what those letters mean.  I do know LOL, BTW, TA, but CVP?   I dislike changes.  

I just read this entire thread. 

I felt compelled to let @cr8tiv1 know that I agree, especially with the second paragraph, and I am especially tickled that someone with that name is making that point. 

😁😁😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I payed off our CC (Celebrity Cruise) not CC (Carnival Cruise) using my CC (Credit Card) and thought I'd post that on CC (Cruise Critic). 😁

Nice. I thought I had 3 of the 4. Had the last two but thought the first one was Club Class.

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

More often than not, it is easy to figure out CC from context (or thread title). 

But I do blame it on texting, tweeting, or other social media.  Grammar, punctuation, short cuts, capitalization, and grammatical marks (periods, apostrophes, etc) have been thrown out with syntax.

I am more bothered by posters using interchangeable condensations like FCD/FCC or Princess calling a cabin a mini-SUITE instead of a "balcony".  At least they changed it to "Reserved Class" to make sure everyone understood that they are moving to a "CLASS" society.  Oh, the glory days of the Titanic or Queen Mary in Long Beach.

As for me, I still have to ask someone who sends me letters what those letters mean.  I do know LOL, BTW, TA, but CVP?   I dislike changes.  

I totally agree that it should be easy to figure out CC from context.  

FCD’s and FCC’s are a whole different ball game!  I always knew the $100 things I purchased onboard to be used as FCC’s (Future Cruise Credits), to be used as deposits as well as obtain onboard credit.  Not too many years ago I was made aware that these were FCD’s (Future Cruise Deposits). It finally clicked for me since all the Covid cancellations took place.  I now know that FCD’s are what I buy on board and now expire, and are refunded, after one year.  FCC’s are granted as either Goodwill FCC, which expire as of a certain date, and Cash Value FCC’s that have a Book and Sail by date attached!  Acronyms are so much fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

I payed off our CC (Celebrity Cruise) not CC (Carnival Cruise) using my CC (Credit Card) and thought I'd post that on CC (Cruise Critic). 😁

I paid off our X cruise not our CCL cruise using my CC and 

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I know how to pronounce FUBAR and SNAFU.  Can you fill me in on the pronunciation of the other two?

That was interesting.  Thanks,

I've never heard DOD pronounced anyway but D O D

8 hours ago, damiross said:

I've never heard DOD pronounced anyway but D O D

If you go by the strict definition given above of what an acronym is, you're right, DOD is just D O D and so an abbreviation.  USAID is usually called "Use-Aide" however many also say US AID.

• Like 1