Oceania bus to Rome from port Civitavecchia.

Lenbro1944

Want to take Oceania bus to Rome from Civitavecchia.
Tour is called Rome on your own. Plan to take private tour in Rome that starts at 9:30 AM. Ship is scheduled to dock at 7AM. 
Has anyone taken this bus and if so what time does it leave port and arrive in Rome? What time does the return bus leave Rome and get back to the ship.

Will be on Vista and Rome port is August 22, 2024. Also if you have any other suggestions on getting to Rome on time and back in the afternoon please reply.

We are on Sirena Nov.13, 2023 and want to hear answers. According to the shore excursion the “tour” is scheduled from 8:45 until 6:45. I don’t know if this is the same for you as your excursions are not yet available. I do know the meeting point in Rome is the People’s Square. There is a train that many use but we have not done that. We are just wanting to go to the Coliseum and are having trouble with timing of tickets. We’ve seen the outside but want to see the inside! Perhaps your travel agent could help you.

I to will be on an Oceania Cruise with Rome as a destination.  I create prior to my cruises something I call a "Journey Document".  I saw for my cruise, the "Rome on your own" was $139.00 per person.  I read the description and then did my normal research. 

My research includes, Google the subject and search YouTube.com the specific activity which in this case is getting from the port in Civitavecchia to City Center in Rome.  My biggest requirement is never to cut things so close I could miss the cruise departing from port.  That scares me a lot so I took this under advisement.

Below is an excerpt that I wrote and I hope it is helpful to all involved or who has an interest.  FYI, I do this same research for all ports.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is 54 miles from the cruise port to Rome.  We most likely will take the bus to the train station.  We need to see if Oceania has a shuttle to the train station.  You can do it yourself for 3 Euro’s one way to train station. Taking the train will cost 10 Euros round trip.  Use the https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html app. Easiest way. 

Taxi’s range from 150 to 200 Euros one way. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Basically, the same as a train.

From the port, for 3 Euros a bus will take you to the train station.  The train is 5 Euros one way and 10 Euros round trip.  In Rome, you must choose the stop you want to get off.  Coordinate this with Tour Guide via “GetYourGuide.com”. From Cruise port to Rome is about an hour by train.

It has been suggested to rent a scooter to get around the city.   Is about 50 Eros. 

NOTE:

Consider looking up “GetYourGuide.com” : This is an interesting website to research.  Walking, electric bikes, Electric scooters, Vespa’s, and a driver.  Escalating costs. 

It is traditional to eat Pasta Ubana on Thursday.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

42 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Consider looking up “GetYourGuide.com” : This is an interesting website to research.  Walking, electric bikes, Electric scooters, Vespa’s,

I remember a few years ago on a Roll Call this one lady constantly posted that she was going to do a Segway tour in Rome. Our cruise started there, she was going in a couple days early.  She posted a lot, the cruise was for her husband's retirement. Cut to Meet & Greet party and we meet this lady, she was in a wheelchair due to a broken leg from a Segway accident. Her husband spent his retirement cruise pushing her around. Having been to Rome a few times there is no way I would ride a bike, scooter or anything similar. It's a zoo. The locals weave in and out of traffic on their scooters constantly. It's a wonder there's not more accidents. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I remember a few years ago on a Roll Call this one lady constantly posted that she was going to do a Segway tour in Rome. Our cruise started there, she was going in a couple days early.  She posted a lot, the cruise was for her husband's retirement. Cut to Meet & Greet party and we meet this lady, she was in a wheelchair due to a broken leg from a Segway accident. Her husband spent his retirement cruise pushing her around. Having been to Rome a few times there is no way I would ride a bike, scooter or anything similar. It's a zoo. The locals weave in and out of traffic on their scooters constantly. It's a wonder there's not more accidents. 

I got hit by a truck in Florence.  It bruised my ego and my back.  My wife was upset.... with me.   The truck took off after I got back on my feet.  We still saw David after I replaced the shirt that was ripped off me at a little store across from where i was hit.  David wasn't wearing a shirt, but I don't believe he was hit by a truck.

Italian drivers can be dangerous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I to will be on an Oceania Cruise with Rome as a destination.  I create prior to my cruises something I call a "Journey Document".  I saw for my cruise, the "Rome on your own" was $139.00 per person.  I read the description and then did my normal research. 

My research includes, Google the subject and search YouTube.com the specific activity which in this case is getting from the port in Civitavecchia to City Center in Rome.  My biggest requirement is never to cut things so close I could miss the cruise departing from port.  That scares me a lot so I took this under advisement.

Below is an excerpt that I wrote and I hope it is helpful to all involved or who has an interest.  FYI, I do this same research for all ports.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is 54 miles from the cruise port to Rome.  We most likely will take the bus to the train station.  We need to see if Oceania has a shuttle to the train station.  You can do it yourself for 3 Euro’s one way to train station. Taking the train will cost 10 Euros round trip.  Use the https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html app. Easiest way. 

Taxi’s range from 150 to 200 Euros one way. Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Basically, the same as a train.

From the port, for 3 Euros a bus will take you to the train station.  The train is 5 Euros one way and 10 Euros round trip.  In Rome, you must choose the stop you want to get off.  Coordinate this with Tour Guide via “GetYourGuide.com”. From Cruise port to Rome is about an hour by train.

It has been suggested to rent a scooter to get around the city.   Is about 50 Eros. 

NOTE:

Consider looking up “GetYourGuide.com” : This is an interesting website to research.  Walking, electric bikes, Electric scooters, Vespa’s, and a driver.  Escalating costs. 

It is traditional to eat Pasta Ubana on Thursday.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Train track in Italian is “binario”. That should come in handy at the train station. 😜

• Like 1

On one of the times we were there on a cruise we took the train to Rome, it's not hard at all. Lots of people explain it on the Ports of Call section. We got off right by the Forum-Colosseum area, we bought our tickets and explored the Colosseum, then the rest of the Forum area, back on the train, easy as pie. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Having been to Rome a few times there is no way I would ride a bike, scooter or anything similar. It's a zoo. The locals weave in and out of traffic on their scooters constantly. It's a wonder there's not more accidents. 

When I read @Sthrngary's statement, similar alarm bells were going off in my head. 

As someone who's spent a fair amount of time in Rome, there's NO WAY I would recommend this (unless possibly to a fearless and indestructible 21-year-old).  Traffic is crazy and obeys rules of its own that we (non-Italians) cannot hope to understand, let alone master...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about the train and DIY' Rome, you might want to look into purchasing a BIRG ticket (this includes the regional trains to Rome and all days use of Rome's public transportation system).  In addition, there are some purchase options such as My Cicero 

http://www.mycicero.eu/trasporto/index.html which is an option for "techies" who simply want to do a purchase via their phone and later use the phone in lieu of a ticket.

Hank

Highly recommend "Walks of Italy" for "special" access to major sites in Rome.  Have done several of their walk-tours in Venice and Rome and all have been outstanding.  They have permission to get you into areas not open to the general-admission public.

If you can make their tour times work with the bus schedule, it would be a good move.

There are a few other special-access companies recommended on these boards that you might also check out.  

• Like 1