Letter of consent for travel with minor

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Is this the only form we'll need and do both unaccompanied parents have to sign or just one?

I assume we'll need a form for each of our grandkids...right?

Thanks so much for adding this link.

For almost everyone yes. Sadly, since you are a Californian it won't be quite that simple.  There is an extra form that our notary required.  Just bring this form to the notary and they will know what to do. You'll just have an extra document show at the port.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

begs the question of whether this power of attorney would be valid for a shore excursion. If the child fell while ashore and suffered a broken arm that required surgery in addition to a cast, would local medical facilities view the ship's form to be sufficient?

One reason why I would only recommend a shore excursion booked through RCL. I doubt that the travel insurance one purchases through the cruise line would cover someone hurt on a non-sanctioned shore excursion either. BTW, we have used this form on multiple cruises with multiple grand kids with no difficulty either on or off the ship as long as we were within the cruise lines sponsored activities.

Weve cruised 5X with our grandson...from age 6-13. Brought letter with us each time...Never asked for it when embarking or disembarking. 2 of the 5 cruises were on RCL.   AS a side note...just include the medical decision authorization as a seperate paragrah on the consent letter.... A lot easier

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

For almost everyone yes. Sadly, since you are a Californian it won't be quite that simple.  There is an extra form that our notary required.  Just bring this form to the notary and they will know what to do. You'll just have an extra document show at the port.

Bring what extra form? We live in California but two of our grandkids live in Georgia. We'll be visiting them this October and want to do everything needed for them for our cruise in May 2024 while we're there then.

Just now, Ashland said:

Bring what extra form? We live in California but two of our grandkids live in Georgia. We'll be visiting them this October and want to do everything needed for them for our cruise in May 2024 while we're there then.

Then you should be fine.  It was the California notary that required some other special form that they (the notary) provided.  Royal didn't care about it at all.  If you get it done in Georgia you are golden.  

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Then you should be fine.  It was the California notary that required some other special form that they (the notary) provided.  Royal didn't care about it at all.  If you get it done in Georgia you are golden.  

Thank you so much for your help.

On our first trip out of the country after my husband passed away, I had to take his death certificate with me.  They wanted proof I was the only parent.  I would definitely have both parents sign a letter.

59 minutes ago, happy2bee said:

On our first trip out of the country after my husband passed away, I had to take his death certificate with me.  They wanted proof I was the only parent.  I would definitely have both parents sign a letter.

Sorry for your loss.  I had a look at the standard form used by cruiseline and it says I/we also there is only one line for the parent's signature. My Grandson's Dad will sign as the surnames are the same and have his lawyer notorize. 

23 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Sorry for your loss.  I had a look at the standard form used by cruiseline and it says I/we also there is only one line for the parent's signature. My Grandson's Dad will sign as the surnames are the same and have his lawyer notorize. 

If his lawyer is going to notarize the consent form, you might want to consider having the lawyer prepare the document and not use the cruise line form. The more I read it, the more concern I have over  possible "what if" scenarios.

The form states:

I (we) authorize the above adult to consent to any necessary, routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned cruise, if a qualified medical person advises such.

But what if some medical emergency arises at the port city prior to embarkation, when you have not started the cruise? For example, you fly in the day before the cruise and something happens. Will the medical facility accept liability for proceeding based on your consent for which you have no authority to provide? 

Rather than focussing only on the cruise, IMO, the consent document should explicitly cover the period of time during which the child will be in your sole and direct care.

Whatever steps you take, I hope you both have a wonderful time!

• Thanks 1