Letter of consent for travel with minor

I'm taking my Grandson on a royal caribbean cruise next month. My daughter will sign a letter of consent to allow him to travel with me but I'm not sure if she needs to get the letter notarized. My Grandson has his father's last name.  Would this be an issue? Of course I'll have his passport with me. 

Edited by drakes2
Spelling

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I'm taking my Grandson on a royal caribbean cruise next month. My daughter will sign a letter of consent to allow him to travel with me but I'm not sure if she needs to get the letter notarized. My Grandson has his father's last name. 

We have taken our granddaughter several times.  Royal Rep says notarized letter from both parents, which we have done three times. We have never been asked for anything during checkin at the pier for any cruise, or asked for anything from customs/emigration when debarking. . better safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Yes, the letter should be signed and notarized, by both parents.

We took granddaughter and grandson on separate cruises. My daughter and I both signed with notary. 

our husbands were not present. We had no problem and both times they asked to see the permission. This was at 2 different ports.

Edited by fpcruiser
added more info
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have taken our granddaughter several times.  Royal Rep says notarized letter from both parents, which we have done three times. We have never been asked for anything during checkin at the pier for any cruise, or asked for anything from customs/emigration when debarking. . better safe than sorry. 

For sure thank you.

It’s one of those things that you probably don’t need - until you do. I would never take the chance of being turned away at the port. I’ve been flying with my show cats for some 36 years. The airline requires them to have a recent health certificate and a rabies certificate. I’ve been asked for them maybe a half dozen times in all these years. Do I always have them? You bet. 

• Thanks 1

Better safe than sorry.  Have both parents sign if possible.   If that’s a hassle than don’t stress it.   I would also take the child’s birth certificate as a bridging document to show that the person signing the notarized letter is the actual parent.  Also be sure to have your daughter give you a medical power of attorney for the duration of the trip.  

14 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Better safe than sorry.  Have both parents sign if possible.   If that’s a hassle than don’t stress it.   I would also take the child’s birth certificate as a bridging document to show that the person signing the notarized letter is the actual parent.  Also be sure to have your daughter give you a medical power of attorney for the duration of the trip.  

I can probably have them both sign especially since grandson uses Dads surname.  Not sure about medical power of attorney. I'll have his health card and my daughter has work health insurance. All these important things to think about but better to be covered. I'm hoping this letter is sufficient for US customs in Canada as we clear prior to our flight.

27 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

. I'm hoping this letter is sufficient for US customs in Canada as we clear prior to our flight.

The letter will work for getting you on the ship, but not sure if Canadian government or U.S. government requires anything additional to bring a minor across an international border. It is probably worth a call to your government office to make sure. BTW, we always bring extra copies of the consent form in case they want to keep one at check in.

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The letter will work for getting you on the ship, but not sure if Canadian government or U.S. government requires anything additional to bring a minor across an international border. It is probably worth a call to your government office to make sure. BTW, we always bring extra copies of the consent form in case they want to keep one at check in.

My daughter travels frequently with my Grandson and she was asked once for consent from his Dad. I'd hate to be turned away at customs or the ship.

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

My daughter travels frequently with my Grandson and she was asked once for consent from his Dad. I'd hate to be turned away at customs or the ship.

We are of the “better safe than sorry” group when it comes to our grand kids. Better to over document and not need than to just do what seems simple and get blocked along the way.

Haven’t been to mississauga since we moved from western NY 30 years ago. Loved that area of Ontario.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

A supervisor took a picture of our consent form and gave it back.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We are of the “better safe than sorry” group when it comes to our grand kids. Better to over document and not need than to just do what seems simple and get blocked along the way.

Haven’t been to mississauga since we moved from western NY 30 years ago. Loved that area of Ontario.

Its a great city. Moved here from Montreal in the seventies.

9 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

A supervisor took a picture of our consent form and gave it back.

I'll make sure it is stamped by notary public. My daughter can use a walk in one in her area. Just trying to get everything organized ahead of time.

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Have this form notarized and you will be fine...  We did it last year and it was accepted without problem.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/minor-traveling-without-parent-or-guardian-form.pdf

Is this the only form we'll need and do both unaccompanied parents have to sign or just one?

I assume we'll need a form for each of our grandkids...right?

Thanks so much for adding this link.

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Is this the only form we'll need and do both unaccompanied parents have to sign or just one?

I assume we'll need a form for each of our grandkids...right?

Thanks so much for adding this link.

As long as the one that signs has the same last name as the child, you only need one signature. You will need a separate form for each child.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I can probably have them both sign especially since grandson uses Dads surname.  Not sure about medical power of attorney. I'll have his health card and my daughter has work health insurance. All these important things to think about but better to be covered. I'm hoping this letter is sufficient for US customs in Canada as we clear prior to our flight.

Having his insurance card is not enough. You will need a letter from the parents giving you permission to make medical decisions in the event your grandson needs medical treatment. The insurance will show coverage but it does not authorize you (a non-parent) to make medical decisions. You will also need authorization from his parents to sign waivers for the Flowrider and things of that nature if he wants to participate in those activities.

17 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Having his insurance card is not enough. You will need a letter from the parents giving you permission to make medical decisions in the event your grandson needs medical treatment. The insurance will show coverage but it does not authorize you (a non-parent) to make medical decisions. You will also need authorization from his parents to sign waivers for the Flowrider and things of that nature if he wants to participate in those activities.

All of those requirements are met if one uses the form supplied by RCL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, orville99 said:

All of those requirements are met if one uses the form supplied by RCL.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm not 100% sure that the form would be accepted in all cases once off the ship. Phrases such as "I (we) authorize the above adult to supervise the minor whilst onboard" begs the question of whether this power of attorney would be valid for a shore excursion. If the child fell while ashore and suffered a broken arm that required surgery in addition to a cast, would local medical facilities view the ship's form to be sufficient? Probably yes, but a question that @drakes2 or her daughter might want to ask a lawyer.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm not 100% sure that the form would be accepted in all cases once off the ship. Phrases such as "I (we) authorize the above adult to supervise the minor whilst onboard" begs the question of whether this power of attorney would be valid for a shore excursion. If the child fell while ashore and suffered a broken arm that required surgery in addition to a cast, would local medical facilities view the ship's form to be sufficient? Probably yes, but a question that @drakes2 or her daughter might want to ask a lawyer.

Thanks everyone for all your input.  I have one excursion booked through Royal while in Honduras. Its just a beach trip they have snorkeling there but I've already told him absolutely no snorkeling ( 11 years old) and he's fine with that. We can hang out walk on beach and enjoy the lunch buffet.