I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Not always. Especially with the recent high prices. Our Royal suite experience was on cruises that were booked before the current price increases and service changes. 

Last month on Jewel we had a regular balcony, and next week in Oasis we will too.  

There have been changes that affect every cabin category differently. Deposit amounts,  on board booking changes, menus, price, stateroom service, buffet offerings ……….

mac_tlc

Be prepared. We sailed her in late June. With the exceptions of most importantly spending the week with Family and fantastic room steward and MDR wait staff, I cannot say one positive thing about the overall sailing. 

2 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Be prepared. We sailed her in late June. With the exceptions of most importantly spending the week with Family and fantastic room steward and MDR wait staff, I cannot say one positive thing about the overall sailing. 

My expectations are getting lower by the day. By Friday, I’ll be happy if she floats.😂.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tatka said:

I thought I’d miss it too, but I didn’t.

I hope you didn’t book cruise because of two services per day. We cruised about 8-9 times in last 18 months and haven’t noticed any downgrades with 1 service a day.

No downgrades... except 1 less room cleaning, new menus, no classics, and on and on and on!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, Happytime22 said:

I was told the last cruise that they could NOT leave two sets of towels... but they said they would replace dirty towels for us.   Maybe the solution now is ask for the two sets of towels and explain that the request is to avoid the need for a second request.... since only once a day cleaning.

I'm ok with that, as it would be easier.

But again.... I use more than one towel if I am sweaty or dirty, outside the towel for shower

I have really long hair.   I always need two big towels since I need one for my hair.  I would not be happy if they expect me to use just one towel per shower.  If the towels aren't that big, I'll need three.

At hotels, they always seem to leave the cart in the hall and I snag a bunch of towels there.  

I can understand people not wanting towels and trash in the hallway.   I hadn't thought that would be a problem, but then we went to Orlando several times while the hotels were ramping back after the lockdown.   Pre-lockdown, the hallway might have been one room service tray every 50', and that wasn't a problem.  But, post-lockdown you had to walk like a drunk weaving between the piles of trash, dirty dishes, and dirty towels, and you had to pay close attention to the stuff to avoid it.   So, I wouldn't really want to see that on a cruise.   But, on the other hand, that should be easy on the staff to do frequent hallway sweeps for stuff.  

Speaking of towels, we will be bringing two teen girls.   Enough said.  

6 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ask who when cabin attendant was there in the am and no coming back for 24 hours? No towels at guest services, like in a hotel.

When you first meet your cabin attendant ask for what you'll need, i.e. extra towels each day, ice, etc. Also someone posted that on the app there's a place to request things like towels.   In the past the cabin attendant left his card with a phone number or I've just called housekeeping (number on phone) when I needed something. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ask who when cabin attendant was there in the am and no coming back for 24 hours? No towels at guest services, like in a hotel.

We ask the attendant on the first day and he/she will leave the extras when servicing the cabin the next morning. 

M

On 7/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, Loracpin2 said:

Now I am getting more concerned about our upcoming B2B!  There have already been a few things, like prebooking of the Flowrider being sold out, reduction of services and several reviews that have me concerned!  I am going to keep my expectations low- just looking for a relaxing time and hope I didn't steer my family to the wrong cruise!

15 minutes ago, bayportkat said:

Now I am getting more concerned about our upcoming B2B!  There have already been a few things, like prebooking of the Flowrider being sold out, reduction of services and several reviews that have me concerned!  I am going to keep my expectations low- just looking for a relaxing time and hope I didn't steer my family to the wrong cruise!

I will probably do a LIVE thread from the Oasis when we board this Friday, although it will not be as detailed as the one I did on Jewel in Norway last month. I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

mac_tlc

32 minutes ago, bayportkat said:

The major issue was we sailed the Oasis with 6800+ passengers. Double occupancy is 5400 thus countless rooms with triple and quad occupancy. If this is the new trend, it's most likley the reason cabin housekeeping is now down to once a day.  Add to that the Windjammer was always "jammed with people" and there were constant announcement to "please leave when you were finished eating.

I must add, the staff and crew did their very best to handle issues beyond their control and deserve a Bravo!!!!.

As for entertainment, since we didn't book until January any entertainment venue that required reservations were not available for pre-booking. Things did open up when we sailed but by then I no longer cared.

I know I will most likely get slammed for this post by all the RCI cheerleaders but, since we're Diamond members and have many previous cruises (mostly in Europe) to compare this too, this sailing was definitely not the experience we're expected!! 

Edited by Loracpin2
spell check
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I will probably do a LIVE thread from the Oasis when we board this Friday, although it will not be as detailed as the one I did on Jewel in Norway last month. I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

mac_tlc

I will definitely be following!  Is your trip a 9 night?  We leave on Sunday 8/13 so I am guessing between now and then there is a 9 night to make the switch from Friday to Sunday.  I hope you enjoy your trip!!  I am curious to hear what drinks are offered in the Freestyle machines as it seems to change a bit each time we cruise.

1 minute ago, bayportkat said:

I will definitely be following!  Is your trip a 9 night?  We leave on Sunday 8/13 so I am guessing between now and then there is a 9 night to make the switch from Friday to Sunday.  I hope you enjoy your trip!!  I am curious to hear what drinks are offered in the Freestyle machines as it seems to change a bit each time we cruise.

Yes, ours is 9 nights. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

A point someone made earlier is a great one.  What's going on in the INDUSTRY IS "death by a thousand cuts".  However, those that say, "Shop other lines", isn't MUCH of a remedy, why swap one set/kind of cuts for another?  They all, at least many, seem to be doing cuts of some sort(s).  As stated many times, I'm a Star Class cruiser, about 50-60% of my cruises are Star Class, up to this point.  But, I think my January cruise out of Galveston (we booked and locked in the price over 2 years ago) on the Harmony will be our last Star unless things reverse.  We will probably cruise on Royal but it won't be in Star Class.  This saddens me/us.  It looks like cruising, even what used to be economy-priced cruising, is moving in the direction of the aristocrats, what used to be decades ago.  

• Like 3

On 7/30/2023 at 9:06 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

No downgrades... except 1 less room cleaning, new menus, no classics, and on and on and on!

1 less but better in quality cleaning. More freedom for us in the evening.

I like new menus. Should they always stay the same? I cruise since 2003 and menus change.

Classic menu was not always a part of menus and that was fine. 🙂

13 hours ago, bayportkat said:

Don't be concerned. I've seen many reviews of Oasis cruises from the past month and most of them are way more positive than not. Just saw multiple posts on facebook about last weeks sailing and how amazing it was. Everyone will have different views, and honestly people going on a cruise for the first time will most likely love everything about it- it's the people that have 25 cruises to compare every little thing to that seem to be the ones complaining the most. I went in February and LOVED it, and will be back in exactly 2 months and I CAN NOT WAIT.  By the way, flowrider doesn't get "pre booked" If there was anything available for pre-booking on flowrider, it would have been lessons or private sesssions. The flowrider itself is something you fill out waivers for, then get in line as much as you want all week to do it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Don't be concerned. I've seen many reviews of Oasis cruises from the past month and most of them are way more positive than not. Just saw multiple posts on facebook about last weeks sailing and how amazing it was. Everyone will have different views, and honestly people going on a cruise for the first time will most likely love everything about it- it's the people that have 25 cruises to compare every little thing to that seem to be the ones complaining the most. I went in February and LOVED it, and will be back in exactly 2 months and I CAN NOT WAIT.  By the way, flowrider doesn't get "pre booked" If there was anything available for pre-booking on flowrider, it would have been lessons or private sesssions. The flowrider itself is something you fill out waivers for, then get in line as much as you want all week to do it

Thanks!  We are repeat cruisers and usually book the flowrider for an hour of private use since the lines are always ridiculously long in the hot sun for a single ride. That was always done on board on past cruises but it appears to be in the pre-book section now. I am just hoping they have more availability once on board. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bayportkat said:

Unless you are renting out the flow rider for a private event ($$$$) there is no pre booking for that activity. 

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

1 less but better in quality cleaning. More freedom for us in the evening.

I like new menus. Should they always stay the same? I cruise since 2003 and menus change.

Classic menu was not always a part of menus and that was fine. 🙂

Quality cleaning? Are they doing more than when 2x? You are in the minority liking new menus. 

14 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Quality cleaning? Are they doing more than when 2x? You are in the minority liking new menus. 

I am cruising 5 times (6-14 days) a year, last several years all with RCI.

Last times menus changed was 7-8 years ago. I knew every day by heart. 

Now there is some variation.

When you say minority what is your sample size?

The only clear downside is lobsters, but it is more connected to deficits/prices for this commodity. Lobsters are more expensive even where we live on average, and with huge losses RCI experienced over 2020 - 2022 they cannot afford to keep this item unlimited.

Yes, maybe they have a bit more time to clean each room and do each procedure better, but rooms are cleaned better in our experience.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

Just off Radiance in Alaska.  Balcony cabin.  It appeared our steward had the whole hall.  He was very good though.  I asked to keep us stocked with 4 towels, 4 hand towels and 4 wash clothes and he did.  I asked for evening service and he did.  We asked twice for the trash to be emptied when we saw him in the hall during the day as it was overflowing and he did.  We got lots of towel animals.  Although I don’t like making the bed, it’s easy and quick in the a.m. In the end it was fine because he was attentive otherwise.  We got our daily compass because we asked.  In fact day 1 was waiting in the room.  We always leave the room tidy so there’s little to do in our room. He did seem to have long hours as the cart was almost always in the hall.  

My issue with trash is we usually get Starbucks in the morning and have water bottles.  After that, there’s no room for anything else.  Royal needs bigger trash cans.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

I miss the 2x a day service. Can definitely do without it, but it is super nice to come back mid-day or whenever and have the bed made and again in the evening after taking a shower, etc. and having things tidied up.  We aren't very needy and practically never ask for anything extra, so it wouldn't take the attendant probably more than 10 minutes in our room.  I realize others with children, etc., would take longer.  However, I would definitely like to see the 2x daily come back - although I'm sure it won't!

• Like 3

I wish we would have actually had a once a day. We got off yesterday from Freedom of the Seas.  Out cabin shower was something out of a horror movie. mold and mildew everywhere. This is just one of the photos.  I feel I need a tetanus shot after getting of the ship. 

image10.jpeg

• Like 2