Plus or Premium worth it?

Buzyma

Hi, I have a cruise booked but I’m wondering if the plus or premium levels are really worth the price when I don’t drink alcohol or coffee.  Just looking for opinions 

thank you 😊 

• Like 1

I don't get the packages. I order only a couple of drinks per cruise and 1 or 2 coffees from the International Cafe. Since I get the platinum discount on internet,  it just isn't worth it to me.

15 minutes ago, StevenUS said:

Most of the cost of Plus is covering the gratuities. So it depends on if you like the other stuff. Would you want to drink soda or any of the juices? Wifi? Premium desserts?

Unless you are from New Zealand or Australia and book a cruise outside of those countries.  Gratuities are not included, just internet and drink package.  We have a UK cruise booked with the Plus plan and have to pay separately for our 'crew appreciation'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Unless you are from New Zealand or Australia and book a cruise outside of those countries.  Gratuities are not included, just internet and drink package.  We have a UK cruise booked with the Plus plan and have to pay separately for our 'crew appreciation'. 

We have the same thing with our Australia / New Zealand cruises this fall. We have to pay the gratuities for those because we are from the US.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StevenUS said:

Most of the cost of Plus is covering the gratuities. So it depends on if you like the other stuff. Would you want to drink soda or any of the juices? Wifi? Premium desserts?

You might want to check your math.  Crew Appreciation = $16 out of $60 Plus package cost (pp/day).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buzyma said:

Hi, I have a cruise booked but I’m wondering if the plus or premium levels are really worth the price when I don’t drink alcohol or coffee.  Just looking for opinions 

thank you 😊 

My opinion is no. Many will say yes. Only you can decide. 

2 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We were on a cruise from Uk last year and gratuity was included then. Plus has changed since then to include desserts and exercise classes.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We have the same thing with our Australia / New Zealand cruises this fall. We have to pay the gratuities for those because we are from the US.

I guess I am confused but we signed up for Plus and it says it includes gratuity for our Australia/New Zealand trip.  Am I missing something?

I really like the plus package includes gratuities/wifi and all your drinks! Like bottled water, fountain soda, specialty coffee, cocktails/fancy drinks sometimes just a plain vodka and soda with a twist of lemon. I like the freedom of never having to worry about it too much & convenience❤️👍🥂🍺🍹🍸🍾🥃🧉🥤

Edited by shandryl
Added more content.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

I guess I am confused but we signed up for Plus and it says it includes gratuity for our Australia/New Zealand trip.  Am I missing something?

Yes, with Plus the gratuities are included. If you don't get Plus or Premier you have to pay them yourself. Folks who live in Australia and book cruises that leave from there don't pay gratuities but they are likely baked into the fare anyway.

When we book a sailing out of Australia our OBC (military, shareholder, etc.) is converted at a 1:1 ratio so we lose (at the moment) 33¢ on the dollar. $100 dollars OBC is only worth the equivalent of $67USD. When folks from Australia book sailings out non-australian ports they have to pay gratuities and their OBC is also translated at a 1:1 ratio so their $100 of OBC suddenly gains value and is worth the equivalent of $149AUD.

Edited by Thrak

The stock market moved from fractions to decimals a long, long, long time ago.  

https://www.sec.gov/rules/concept/34-44568.htm

16 ÷ 60 = 26.666 (repeating decimal).

17 ÷ 60 = 28.333 (repeating decimal).

18 ÷ 60 = 30.0

Rounding up to 27%, 28%, 30%

In order for something to be in the majority (most), it would have to be over 50% or higher than the other components.  In this case, I think the drink "estimate" would make up "most".  When I look at my onboard services breakdown of the Plus Package, it gives very inflated prices for the drink portion.  

4 hours ago, StevenUS said:

48 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

It’s really closer to 1/4, unless you are staying in a suite. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buzyma said:

thank you 😊 

Of course not, it's all dependent on drinking 

6 hours ago, Buzyma said:

thank you 😊 

I seriously doubt it. Unless you drink $30 worth of water a day.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzyma said:

I don’t drink alcohol or coffee.

The answer is no.  If you don't mind the effort, you can bring soft drinks and water onboard at embarkation and at ports for your needs.  That is what we do.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

15 hours ago, Buzyma said:

thank you 😊 

I don't drink alcohol or coffee.

I did order it. The reason being - I do like fresh squeezed OJ, bottled water, mocktails, etc... I know this is psychological but I won't order drinks if I know it is hitting my account every time. If I order Plus, I order OJ every morning, mocktails, hot chocolate and enjoy myself. I know I don't break even but I have used OBC so it really wasn't coming out of my pocket.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone can answer that question for you, it depends on what in the package you'll use and what you won't.  For example, plus gives you one WIFI device, will that be enough for you?  It is when I travel alone, but not when my husband comes, he has to have 3 to himself 🙂  Will you go to the fitness classes?  Again, I will when I travel solo, but probably not if traveling with others.  Will you eat the premium desserts?  I wouldn't if you have to get the super sundae massive treats, but since they are now allowing you to get a single scoop of gelato, I probably will.  I don't drink elither, but I do get waters, club soda, hot tea, etc.  I would do your own cost evaluation and make a decision based on that.  Have a great cruise!