Passport required?

ranchette

2 hours ago, DPTexas said:

In late May, on our debarkation off the Dream (out of Galveston), after our zone was called, those of us with passports exited very quickly, taking longer to walk down the ramp to the visual ID screens then it took to go through the process.  But the line for those w/o passports was long, very long.   One lady was waiting in the luggage claim area for some family members w/o passports - I recall her family was split - some with passports and some w/o.  She said they had already been waiting an hour for her family in the "w/o line" and they were still in the middle of the line.  She was not happy and commented that their next family cruise was in Sept and those w/o passports were not going unless they had them.  With the current delay times in processing of passports, I suspect they will have to use their DL and BC again.   So, glad I renewed my passport just before the pandemic.  

Happy cruising everyone!

I just got off the breeze on Monday.  We walked right through the passport line without any delays.  No faster or slower than those with passports.

• Like 1

I haven't traveled on Carnival yet (just NCL), so I don't know if it makes a difference which cruise line.  But I've found the non-passport lines to be much shorter and faster.  this has been my experience at Port Canaveral 

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If all I had was an EDL (which I did at one point) the fact that I might have to spend a little more time in a line once a year would not make me rush out and by a passport. 

if you only cruise once a year, I guess I could see that. But the advantages of having a passport greatly outweighs the cost of passport to me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

if you only cruise once a year, I guess I could see that. But the advantages of having a passport greatly outweighs the cost of passport to me.

Also that would only work for people who only take  cruises in North America and never fly internationally. I can’t imagine that kind of life. 

• Like 1

Up until now, I was thinking the EDL that folks were talking about was just another name for the Real ID, which I knew was not good enough by itself for cruising.  I now see that EDL is a step up from REal ID, but only 5 states offer them.  I don't live in one of those states 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Also that would only work for people who only take  cruises in North America and never fly internationally. I can’t imagine that kind of life. 

Heeeeyyyyyy, there is nothing wrong with that life.  I love that life 😄

• Haha 1

Nobody cares that you personally wouldn't be caught dead without your passport. Nobody cares about your penchant for international flight. The question was, is a passport required for this particular cruise. For some reason OP is unable to go to Carnival.com and find the answer for themselves. The question has been answered to their satisfaction I trust.

I am always afraid that people will ask questions here and get misinformation and then watch the ship sail away from the pier. I'm sure it's happened. I see questions like this on here and on cruise groups on social media all the time, littered with misinformation from people just trying to be helpful. Maybe one day people will actually go to the source for questions like this. But I guess the problem with that is it takes effort on their part.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, dbrown84 said:

Heeeeyyyyyy, there is nothing wrong with that life.  I love that life 😄

BTW, I didn't take offense to the comment.  I'm just being silly.  But I don't have any desire to cruise outside of North America.  

18 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Then it's worth it for you. Everyone looks at things differently and there are options that cover everyone's different travel needs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I can. Used to live it. Then the kids moved on. That's not an atypical scenario for a lot of people. Work. Budget. Responsibilities. Life. It sometimes limits what one is able to do. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Up until now, I was thinking the EDL that folks were talking about was just another name for the Real ID, which I knew was not good enough by itself for cruising.  I now see that EDL is a step up from REal ID, but only 5 states offer them.  I don't live in one of those states 

It is easily confused (I've read one thread where a gent from Texas showed up at the port with his REAL ID and insisted it was all that he needed to board the cruise. Fortunately for him he had someone at home that was able to fax his birth certificate to the port. I wonder how many folk show up like that who can't get their birth certificate faxed?). Anyway, an Enhanced Drivers License has those very words printed across the top of it, in addition to having a US flag and a gold star on it. (The gold star denotes REAL ID compliance.)

I think what confuses people the most is that they need to produce their birth certificate in order to get a REAL ID, so in their mind it should prove citizenship. Trouble is all one needs to produce is legal presence in the US to get one, so it doesn't prove citizenship at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lin14534 said:

A gentleman on the Vacations to Go phone, told me I would need my license, birth certificate and marriage license since my name is different on birth certificate. and license.  Really?

We went on 18 cruises using birth certificates and not once was my wife asked to show our marriage license.  My SIL has been on a few with us and she was never asked either.

1 hour ago, lin14534 said:

A gentleman on the Vacations to Go phone, told me I would need my license, birth certificate and marriage license since my name is different on birth certificate. and license.  Really?

It is advisable but not strictly necessary. We used to bring ours and were never asked for it. If you have it available I would at least bring a picture of it on my phone.

1 hour ago, lin14534 said:

It is not a bad idea to have it. I suspect you won't be asked. But what if you are? I had a well meaning port person pour over my Vax card last year because she had never seen one where computer generated stickers were applied to signify each jab rather than being hand written. Seriously?  After 5 minutes she relented. #rookie 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lin14534 said:

I doubt it, although I was not able to use my birth certificate as a document when renewing my drivers license because I didn’t bring my marriage license.

46 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I doubt it, although I was not able to use my birth certificate as a document when renewing my drivers license because I didn’t bring my marriage license.

You must have been getting a Real ID license at your renewal. They are strict about the documents required for Real ID proof of identity.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You must have been getting a Real ID license at your renewal. They are strict about the documents required for Real ID proof of identity.

Nope, NJ required a lot of documentation. My license was expired a year during covid, dmv was an absolute mess. Finally snagged an appointment and still waited 4 hours.

6 hours ago, lin14534 said:

What Carnival needs is for your booking name to match your picture ID. A different last name on BC won't bother them as long as you meet this requirement. 

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

What Carnival needs is for your booking name to match your picture ID. A different last name on BC won't bother them as long as you meet this requirement. 

It's not for Carnival, it's for CBP when you return