Have It All Drinks Package

kirkc

I tried to find a definitive answer, but failed.

With the drinks package…do you just pay the difference if you cocktail is over the $11?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. If you have the standard drinks package (I think they call it “Premium”), drinks under $11 are covered (up to 15 drinks per day), and if you order a drink that’s over $11, you just pay the difference, plus 18% gratuity on the difference. 

The “Elite” drinks package covers drinks up to $15, unlimited drinks per day, and again, the same overage applies: you just pay the amount over $15, plus 18% on the overage.

9 minutes ago, kirkc said:

With the drinks package…do you just pay the difference if you cocktail is over the $11?

You pay the difference between what your beverage package allows ($11 with Signature, $15 with Elite) plus 18% of the difference.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

remember to check your account daily. Several times my DH order drinks above the $11 and they charged the full amount. I had to go to guest services to have it fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, kirkc said:

Thanks so much for the clarification.  I’ll be quiet now. 😂

No need to be quiet! Most of us like to answer questions. (And those that don't, shouldn't scold!)

It also did happen to us, possibly every time we did go over $11, that we were charged the whole price/service. But "HIA and more" was pretty new last December/January. They should have it polished up by now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

No need to be quiet! Most of us like to answer questions. (And those that don't, shouldn't scold!)

It also did happen to us, possibly every time we did go over $11, that we were charged the whole price/service. But "HIA and more" was pretty new last December/January. They should have it polished up by now.

I think initially that was the way it was with HIA drink limits, i.e., charging of the full amount when over the limit, but then it changed to just charge the difference. If I recall. I think it was rolled out initially on certain ships before it became standard across the board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I think initially that was the way it was with HIA drink limits, i.e., charging of the full amount when over the limit, but then it changed to just charge the difference. If I recall. I think it was rolled out initially on certain ships before it became standard across the board.

True. There have been many posts here reporting on the change to charging only the amount above the plan cost, plus tip.

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

True. There have been many posts here reporting on the change to charging only the amount above the plan cost, plus tip.

The initial method (charging full) seem to make no sense logically.  I really can't imagine there was anyone being willing to pay $12 + grats = $14.14 for a glass of wine that was basically a   "$1 better" glass of wine than the $11 glass they could have had for free - 😉.

I can only speculate that it was initially a very simple binary implementation for bar bill charging - either it's in your package (free) or not (charged) with no in between.  It might have taken a bit of effort for them to modify the bar billing to allow for calculating and charging differences. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I cruised the first 2 weeks of June.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

One would think but we’re talking IT on HAL. They might never fix it 🙄 

• Haha 1

Seems to have been resolved on the ships I've been on this past year, but always good to check - every day.

One other thing to note: is some ships, some venues, will ask if you have a drink package and if you don't  they will discount your drink. I first noticed that at GDC on both K'dam and NS. Of course, they can see if you have a pkg or not, so not sure why they would ask (that's another question for a whole new thread, lol), but happy to have them ask to receive a discount.

This is the first time sailing with Holland America and go the HIA package when I booked but I have a question, can I upgrade my drink package from the one I got to the Elite package?  I am not worried about going over the 15 drinks a day, I just like the top shelf alcohol.

32 minutes ago, dls1203 said:

This is the first time sailing with Holland America and go the HIA package when I booked but I have a question, can I upgrade my drink package from the one I got to the Elite package?  I am not worried about going over the 15 drinks a day, I just like the top shelf alcohol.

Yes. As discussed here frequently, do the upgrade first thing when you board, before you get any drinks.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

There have been some people that have reported on here that they were not able to upgrade when they had the HIA package.  Its not a sure thing.

Thank you for the info.  Which ever way it work, I will still be on a cruise and not worry to much about it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dls1203 said:

If you want a drink that costs more than $11, you only pay the difference plus 18% gratuity on the difference. It may work out better for you that way - plus on many cruises folks have not been able to upgrade.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shippmates said:

I have never gotten a beverage package and trying to figure out if it is included in my price.  When booking I got the notice that it was included but when I look at my booking summary it does not list it.

Scroll down to the third page of the confirmation e-mail you got. There will be a column of your "perks", with Passenger "1,2" next to each. All are listed there EXCEPT , OBC, which is on first page in the money columns.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dls1203 said:

Check the bar menus available online. Unless you want really high end single malt Scotch, high end tequilas or cognacs, most of the top shelf alcohol is covered. See if what you like is already covered. You may save time & money with what you already have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes. As discussed here frequently, do the upgrade first thing when you board, before you get any drinks.

In January they were not allowing an onboard upgrade to Elite. They were pushing pay the difference.

18 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There have been some people that have reported on here that they were not able to upgrade when they had the HIA package.  Its not a sure thing.

That's why we're gong a la carte with the EBP in December. Yes, I know it costs more than HIA, but as 4* Mariners, we already get 50% off specialty dining. (We use a router to share a single premium Internet connection.) Since we're only on for a week this time, I didn't want to waste time hoping and trying to get the upgrade. We've always been successful, but it has been a pain in the butt sometimes. 

• Like 3