Senior, retired cruise travel groups?

leishirsute

Hi,

We are 2 retired seniors who have been scheduling cruises by ourselves. On our trips, we've noticed that groups of people seem to travel together and we wondered how to join such groups.  We tend to cruise on the small ships.  Are there any travel clubs or groups that we can check about joining?

Curious

Edited by leishirsute

2 hours ago, leishirsute said:

Hi,

We are 2 retired seniors who have been scheduling cruises by ourselves. On our trips, we've noticed that groups of people seem to travel together and we wondered how to join such groups.  We tend to cruise on the small ships.  Are there any travel clubs or groups that we can check about joining?

Curious

There are some affinity groups that organize group travel (along with other activities).
These could be alumni associations, or places like museum groups.

And some travel agencies may also plan "group trips".

I'm not sure if we are allowed to mention some of those.  I don't think they work as regular "travel agents", meaning, we couldn't contact them and make a reservation for "just us" to go on a cruise or other trip.

You might try Googling terms like "group excursions" and get started there.

Again, I don't think these are regular travel agencies, but I'm not sure if posting the names of some of them is allowed.

GC

another thought is to look at Meetup.  Meetup is a social networking system where you can find and meet up with folks who have like minded interest.  Bird watching , recreation walking, language , sport fans, you name it. 

They are usually organized in city or county so you meetup with people who live in your area.  Some are done with ZOom or other on-line platforms.  You could join a travel oriented group in your region and then consider organizing one for for your home area.  

I maybe would call the travel agents in my town and ask. My church has a group that cruises, and the travel agent, (also a member, I think), works out the details.

Edited by Etta1213

Our local seniors centers sponsor all kinds of trips, from day excursions to international travel. 

Have you looked into Road Scholar?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2023 at 12:53 PM, Roz said:

Our local seniors centers sponsor all kinds of trips, from day excursions to international travel. 

Have you looked into Road Scholar?

Same here.  Though I don’t cruise with the group they do host a series of history travel tours in our region.  Even my DH enjoys it. 

We have given up owning a car, and have lost interest in flying to a cruise. However, we still want to cruise on a regular basis.  There is a bus company near us that provides five cruise packages a year, from our nearest port, which in our case is Baltimore.  There are usually around 30 people on the bus, and all are encouraged to share tables at the breakfast stop, so people who have not yet chatted with others are able to begin to get to know people in the group. We tend to stick to ourselves during the cruise, but we notice from time to time that some are meeting up with other bus people on the ship, and on the return trip it appears that many know most of the others. It seems to work out especially well for those traveling solo.