Alaska Outerwear - Late August/Early September

Carolinabanker

What outerwear should I pack, we are going to go Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier, Ketchikan and Victoria. Our excursions are outdoorsy but not hiking or anything too adventurous, but include Best of Sitka, Mendenhall Glacier and Juneau Tram, Endicott Amr & Glacier Explorer, Whale Watching and the lumberjack show.  

Could be t-shirt and shorts. Could be a coat. We have had both over Labor day. 

Glacier Explorer: On thing for sure is that you will want a winter coat, gloves and hat for the Glacier Explorer. (The same would really be true if you stayed on the ship.) You are going to the glacier with your boat weaving its way through an ice field. This is one of the best ShoreEx - we have done it multiple times. 

Whale Watching - similar, you are out on the water and if you go out on the outside deck, it will be chilly. A medium, jacket and maybe gloves. 

Mendenhall Glacier and Tram - will depend on the weather in port that day. We went in shorts last time, but it was a warm day. The average High temperature in Juneau is 60 degrees. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

A raincoat would be essential, probably, no matter what the weather. Around the glaciers it could be very cold. Hat, gloves and a good coat that broke the wind felt good. If you do not bring one the ship, or a store on land, will be more than glad to sell you one. 

Great advice above.  I would add some comfortable waterproof shoes. Our Alaska cruise was in early September and there were a lot of rainy days.  The ones I found were comfortable enough to wear on the plane.  I wore them around the ship when we were going to be in and outdoor all day.  

Raincoat #1. Probably get by with a down puffy layer underneath for glaciers.  Warm Hat#2. gloves, waterproof boots. Recommend merino wool base layers and socks. Alaska summer weather is like our mid-late spring down in Olympia. Could be 70s could be low 50's. But again, the merino wool

13 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

What outerwear should I pack, we are going to go Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier, Ketchikan and Victoria. Our excursions are outdoorsy but not hiking or anything too adventurous, but include Best of Sitka, Mendenhall Glacier and Juneau Tram, Endicott Amr & Glacier Explorer, Whale Watching and the lumberjack show.  

Just got back from my cruise and we had unusually warm weather. It was t-shirts and shorts the entire time. Cruising through Glacier bay, people were in the pool. The only actual cooler day was sailing into Victoria, but even then, it wasn't super cold. 

Just be prepared for anything.

• Like 1

A good set of layers worked well for me on my Alaska cruise last year, including the coldest day. 

Thin long-sleeved base layer

Zippered warm fleece jacket

Down vest

Raincoat

Plus: gloves, scarf, wool hat, and brimmed hat in case of sun or rain. 

I made do without rain pants or completely waterproof shoes, but some excursions might benefit from those items. 

Definitely expect rain on almost any day, and expect to be cold when you are near glaciers or on a small boat. 

• Like 1

We had it all for our Sept Alaska cruise a few years ago.

Sunny and warm in Seattle

Pouring rain in Juneau, so heavy we couldn't see!

Sunny and very warm in Skagway

Cold and light rain in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay.

Missed Victoria due to mechanical problems with the ship

Returned to cold, wet cloudy Seattle

I found waterproof hikers to be very beneficial because of our rainy days.

Did not bring shorts or swim suits

But we really enjoyed being able to hike and did so in all kinds of weather!

• Like 1

For the women who only wear skirts or dresses bring along some long underwear. I bring along some lightweight ones to wear under my dresses and it was just as good as wearing pants. However I did not go out on the water on a small boat or a glacier which I am thinking it would not be good enough.