Looks like my upcoming Celebrity cruise not covered by Amex Platinum Cruise Privileges.

Stockjock

If you have an Amex Platinum card, Amex Cruise Privileges provides some nice perks if the travel agent is qualified by Amex.  And to be clear, since I can't mention any travel agent, I'm not doing so.  But as I understand it, many travel agents have that qualification.  For example, I got $300 OBC and a bottle of wine for an 8 night RCCL booking in a mini suite and am scheduled to get $300 OBC, a bottle of wine, and an invitation to a wine tasting on an upcoming Oceania cruise (oceanview cabin).

I booked a 6 night Celebrity cruise out of L.A. with the travel agent, called in to discuss either just before or just after the booking (or both, can't remember frankly), and was not told that I wouldn't receive those Amex Cruise Privilege benefits, although of course I mentioned them.  Typically, on a 6-night booking in our category (Concierge Class), you would receive $200 OBC and a bottle of wine.

After the fact, I've been told that this booking is under the "Amazing Deals" promotion, and that's not covered by the Amex Cruise Privileges program.

It's not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.  Before booking anything, I do recommend running it past your travel agent(s) and getting the names of whoever you talk to.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

After the fact, I've been told that this booking is under the "Amazing Deals" promotion, and that's not covered by the Amex Cruise Privileges program.

I apologize for nitpicking, but I presume you mean "Exciting Deals" promotion.

• Like 1

Here is the fine print regarding combinability for Celebrity and AMEX CPP benefits….

Combinability

• Combinable with any one of the following publicly available rates and certain restricted rates: Seniors, Residents, Military, police and firefighter, Choice Air (meaning special cruise fares available to customers who book Choice Air with Cruise Line), nationally available tactical offers (e.g. Go Big, Better, Best), Savings/Category specials, Celebrity Values, Singles Specials, Captain’s Club loyalty program discounts, and Cruise Tour programs.
  • Not combinable with contracted groups or charters, free cruise certificates, bookings made using employee rates, family and friends’ rates, travel agency reduced rates, travel agency family and friends rates, closed user group or agent specific rates, net rates, Interline rates or Celebrity Exciting Deals.
  • Not combinable with any other American Express Card offers.

I have cruised using Amex Platinum for many years. A few points:

1. Any travel agency can call Amex and get the information to allow for Platinum benefits on your cruise. 

2. Amex Plat benefits are combinable with some promotions, but not others. I have taken about 50 cruises and have taken advantage of Amex Plat about 2/3 of the time. In many cases the travel agency's consortium has other benefits like prepaid gratuities which are better but not combinable with Amex Plat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

You weren’t told that you would receive the benefits, were you?  

I told them I wanted to do the deal through the agent in order to get the Amex Platinum Cruise Privilege benefits.  I think they are reviewing my call, which was recorded, or at least trying to.

Edited by Stockjock