Plugs, Power Outlets and Sockets

Fixit2010

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Remember not to bring any extension cords or any power strips that have surge protectionnfeatures

I've seen this posted before.  Any issue with just a basic extension cord that doesn't have any surge protection?  I need a plug by the bed for a CPAP machine, and unless there are ones by the bed, I have to string one across the room.  

And while I know I can request one, I prefer to travel with my own.  I know where it's been.  Just a simple one like this would be fine? 

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-6-Foot-3-Prong-Extension/dp/B07BHSH7M6/ref=sr_1_11_ffob_sspa?crid=2DV250SE3KRWW&keywords=extension+cord&qid=1689356316&sprefix=extension+cord%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

8 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I've seen this posted before.  Any issue with just a basic extension cord that doesn't have any surge protection?  I need a plug by the bed for a CPAP machine, and unless there are ones by the bed, I have to string one across the room.  

And while I know I can request one, I prefer to travel with my own.  I know where it's been.  Just a simple one like this would be fine? 

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-6-Foot-3-Prong-Extension/dp/B07BHSH7M6/ref=sr_1_11_ffob_sspa?crid=2DV250SE3KRWW&keywords=extension+cord&qid=1689356316&sprefix=extension+cord%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

I believe that three-prong is an issue

We travel with 2 phones, 2 kindles, 2 tablets and a smart watch and sometimes a computer. The multip-port hub (6 USB ports) does the trick. Everything doesn't have to charge simultaneously and we never have an issue keeping all the electronics up and running smoothly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Your room steward will provide a cord and run it to the bed and tape it down to avoid a tripping issue. He/she will also provide you with distilled water if you need it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I believe that three-prong is an issue

Meaning what, that the grounding prong is an issue?  It needs to be a 2 prong only?  This is only a extension cord with more than one head on it.  Perhaps just a single only, and then get a separate plug to go into it?

17 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

That is likely to be confiscated. Why not just use the cord that the ship will happily provide and not take a risk of causing a fire?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Meaning what, that the grounding prong is an issue?  It needs to be a 2 prong only?  This is only a extension cord with more than one head on it.  Perhaps just a single only, and then get a separate plug to go into it?

Yes, the grounding prong is an issue.  

37 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

That is likely to be confiscated. Why not just use the cord that the ship will happily provide and not take a risk of causing a fire?

Why, if it's no different than what they provide.  As I mentioned above, I guess I prefer my own equipment to something that has not been in my possession.  I try to keep my stuff clean, and often times extension cords over time look really dirty, and not something I want around medical equipment.  I'm not against it overall, but if I'm bringing the same thing, why would it be confiscated?

43 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Why, if it's no different than what they provide.  As I mentioned above, I guess I prefer my own equipment to something that has not been in my possession.  I try to keep my stuff clean, and often times extension cords over time look really dirty, and not something I want around medical equipment.  I'm not against it overall, but if I'm bringing the same thing, why would it be confiscated?

The item you posted the link to is entirely different than one they provide. The one they provide is not multi outlet and most importantly doesn't have a third prong. The one you pictured may be a fire hazard and you could be endangering everyone on the ship. If you have a cleanliness issue, it would be better to carry sanitizing wipes and just wipe down the ship provided cord if that would make you comfortable. The cord doesn't plug into any part of the cpap that comes into contact with your face. All it does is provide power to your machine.

Edited by Luvcrusn

During our last cruise in Oct/Nov which was on board Constellation, I found a 3-prong, surge-protected power strip installed inside a cabinet underneath our stateroom television.  It was put there because there was only one outlet available inside the cabinet while two outlets were needed--one for the TV and one for a component that worked with the TV.  It had the words "AV Dept" hand written on it in black Sharpie.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed3be6ebc6bc01d61a516911d68e3028.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d296a1e16361351363e4daeb65737f9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

During our last cruise in Oct/Nov which was on board Constellation, I found a 3-prong, surge-protected power strip installed inside a cabinet underneath our stateroom television.  It was put there because there was only one outlet available inside the cabinet while two outlets were needed--one for the TV and one for a component that worked with the TV.  It had the words "AV Dept" hand written on it in black Sharpie.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed3be6ebc6bc01d61a516911d68e3028.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d296a1e16361351363e4daeb65737f9.jpeg

Did you call it to anyone's attention?🤞

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

No, I did not.  I found it on the last day of our cruise.  I guess I could have confiscated it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes, the grounding prong is an issue.  

No, its not.  There is no issue with using a grounded extension cord, as long as it is not surge protected.  The ground on the ship's outlets (and the 220v outlets have ground as well, in the two spring clips on the sides of the recessed outlet), works the same as the ground on land, to protect you from short circuits.  The only device that interferes with the ship's electrical system is a surge protector, plain and simple.

As for the razor outlet in the bath, as it shows in the photo, it is limited to 20va (or watts in simplistic terms), which means about 0.16 amp. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

As a point of clarity.   I have often seen the power strips in use in most of the upper suites.   To my knowledge they are not surge protected which is the prohibition.   

I've also requested a power strip and the IT guy came to my room and gave it to me and plugged it in along with an extension cord.  

While the ships may prohibit us from bring one with us they do have a limited supply of both.  

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

To my knowledge they are not surge protected which is the prohibition.   

The vast majority of Tripp Lite brand power strips are surge protected, and in the photo, I can see the small green lite labeled "protected", meaning it is surge protected.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The vast majority of Tripp Lite brand power strips are surge protected, and in the photo, I can see the small green lite labeled "protected", meaning it is surge protected.

I then suspect that the ships themselves disregard their own regulations.

Ok so what exactly is the issue with surge protected strips?  If the supply is clean then they shouldn't trip but if the supply spikes and your equipment is attached to an unprotected supply then it gets zapped.  Though I suspect there is more chance of voltage drop.

Handy to know there is a power bar under the TV.

25 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Ok so what exactly is the issue with surge protected strips?  If the supply is clean then they shouldn't trip but if the supply spikes and your equipment is attached to an unprotected supply then it gets zapped.  Though I suspect there is more chance of voltage drop.

Handy to know there is a power bar under the TV.

First off, surge protectors are not needed on ships.  Where do the power "spikes" that trip a surge protector come from on land?  Either lightning, or a blown pole transformer (don't recall from my time in Scotland whether they use pole transformers or not).  Due to the ship's ground being separated from the hull of the ship (what would be "ground" or "earth" on land) to prevent electrolytic corrosion, lightning passes straight through the hull to the ocean, without interacting with the ship's electrical system at all.  I have been on several ships that were struck by lightning, and we never had anything electrical, let alone electronic damaged.  This includes the ship's navigation equipment, the engine room automation, radios, ship's computers, etc.

The second thing is that the ship's "neutral" wire is not connected to "earth".  If you take a voltmeter, and read between "hot" and "earth", on a ship, you get 110v (for a 220v outlet), not the 220v you have on land.  Also, between "neutral" and "earth" it is also 110v (making 220v between hot and neutral).  This is done so that equipment that develops a ground fault can be deteced, even if the ground fault is on the neutral side.  These ground faults lead to electrolytic corrosion of the hull and fittings, and need to be repaired as quickly as possible.  Now, suppose that a 440v motor goes to ground, that voltage is now on the "ground" connection, so the semi-conductors in the surge protector, that connect the hot and neutral to ground to "dump" the voltage, now see a continual voltage above what they are rated for in continuous service, and will fail.  When they fail, they tend to go into "thermal runaway", overheat, and cause the power strip to melt and burn.  That fire hazard is real, documented, and why they are not allowed.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, its not.  There is no issue with using a grounded extension cord, as long as it is not surge protected.  The ground on the ship's outlets (and the 220v outlets have ground as well, in the two spring clips on the sides of the recessed outlet), works the same as the ground on land, to protect you from short circuits.  The only device that interferes with the ship's electrical system is a surge protector, plain and simple.

As for the razor outlet in the bath, as it shows in the photo, it is limited to 20va (or watts in simplistic terms), which means about 0.16 amp. 

Thanks you for clarifying and correcting my misconception

• Like 2