Plugs, Power Outlets and Sockets

Fixit2010

Can anyone tell me on the Silhouette, balcony cabins,

how many plug sockets are there?

I have a feeling there are 2 US and 1 EU type and they are all by the TV stand thing.

Are there any more and during the refit, did Celebrity have the common sense to install USB power outlets?

I tend to bring a lot of tech with me and it doesn't run on air.

thanks

That sounds right. Three total outlets. 

We have a lot of gear, too, and carry a UK converter so we can use all three sockets. Plus we both use adaptors that power a few USBs. 

I don’t think it’s an over the weekend thing to add USB outlets. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 1

I boug

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

That sounds right. Three total outlets. 

We have a lot of gear, too, and carry a UK converter so we can use all three sockets. Plus we both use adaptors that power a few USBs. 

I don’t think it’s an over the weekend thing to add USB outlets. 

Same here. I have a four slot dual voltage charger that I put, with an adapter, in the Euro plug. That leaves me two US plugs for other things.

• Like 2

I know this might be stretching things a bit but does anyone know how much load a socket can take?

Different tech requires different connections:

USB Micro (yes I still have some things that use them)

USB C (A to C)

USB C (C to C)

USB Fast chargers

USB A

3 pin bespoke chargers 

If you see the lights flicker, don't panic, I am just plugging stuff in

Edited by Fixit2010

40 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

I was hoping there was a hidden socket or two elsewhere.  Working out what cables, chargers, converters etc to bring is a nightmare. 

There is a light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom meant for shavers, etc.  The outlet will accept 2 prong American and Euro style plugs.  Because it is light duty, it is inconveniently located high above the sink next to the light fixture.  Here is a photo taken of the bathroom on Silhouette's younger sister, Reflection:

image.thumb.jpeg.21c5e129a401229fada39c2da5c5bd34.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c2f4848dd90a36997471b4bcb195678.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Hello,

Yes 2 x US and 1 x Euro over the desk / under the mirror and no more.

There is also (a pretty useless) telephone socket too that could look like a USB port - but isn't.

Whether by accident of timing or by intention, the kettle and (stewards) vacuum cleaner both have Euro plugs. I have a Euro x 2 adapter so whilst I was there at times both my mobile 'phone was charging and the kettle was boiling and at other times my mobile was charging and the steward was vacuuming.

I only think, I am not sure, that the socket in the bathroom is only powered when something else (bathroom light?) is on but my electric toothbrush died the death some time ago.

Regards,

Cublet.

• Like 1

For your list, one outlet (except for the proprietary chargers, but I'd really look to see if you can't find a USB cable that will work. You'd be surprised. BTW, most USB C electronics work fine on USB C to USB C cables. They were shipped with USB A/C cables because USB C wasn't as common.  You shouldn't need a USB A to C cable.

This one will simultaneously charge 5 USB C and 3 USB A devices. You just have to count cables...

And unless you have all day, any USB charging outlets will be the lowest power USB A and will take forever to charge anything significant. Pretty sure there aren't any on Silhouette anyway. 

613p9SHBZHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's from the US Amazon site, but just search for USB A USB C charging block. That's 200W, so it won't come near overwhelming the outlet. You can actually charge a MacBook with that version. It would probably come with a UK Type G cord and you'd need either a G to E/F (or C) adapter, for the type F outlet in the cabin or a separate cord with Type F plug. Same for using the US type outlets.

• Like 1

I take an adapter purchased on Amazon to use the European plug at the desk and then plug in a multi-port USB hub also purchased there to charge all our devices and keep the US plugs free.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJWLLDB/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is a link to the adapter. The multiport USB I purchased several years ago and that particular one is no longer offered but there are many others available. Just be sure it's not surge protected. Most aren't.

• Like 1

Thanks for such a fast response everyone, 

The advantage of separating charging across more than one USB block is that if you use a single block the power is shared between all ports that are in use (sorry for the use of the word port for a cruise post),   So a 40 Watt USB plug with 4 ports on it would give 10 W per port if all ports were in use.  If I used 2 USB plugs and have 2 devices on one and 2 devices on the other, more power goes to each port and speed up charging.

I was thinking of a USB A block for things that can take their time and a USB C adapter for fast charging.

With 3 sockets, I will have to be a little creative and work out what can be charged when.  Probably some kind of rotation.... ok I am getting too technical, this is meant to be a vacation.  Ah well I will just chuck a load of things in to the case and use them as and when. 

That's where you have to dig into the specs that can be hard to find. Some manufacturers will at least put out a graphic that shows max simultaneous wattage for each port. I didn't look to see if the brick I posted will actually give you 65W and two 30W ports at the same time, but it's a 200W brick so it could. That one is a GAN charger and I've generally found those to have better specs. But I'm usually charging an iPad and iPhone and rotate for camera batteries and headphones so I rarely use all the ports on the 4 port I travel with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Guessing you're not showing signatures. OP is in the UK. Type G, not F...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

Can anyone tell me on the Silhouette, balcony cabins,

how many plug sockets are there?

I have a feeling there are 2 US and 1 EU type and they are all by the TV stand thing.

Are there any more and during the refit, did Celebrity have the common sense to install USB power outlets?

I tend to bring a lot of tech with me and it doesn't run on air.

thanks

I think their might also be a shaver only plug in the bathroom.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I take an adapter purchased on Amazon to use the European plug at the desk and then plug in a multi-port USB hub also purchased there to charge all our devices and keep the US plugs free.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJWLLDB/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is a link to the adapter. The multiport USB I purchased several years ago and that particular one is no longer offered but there are many others available. Just be sure it's not surge protected. Most aren't.

Just a caution on this one... This is an adapter and NOT a converter so if you plug a North American type device into it expecting just 110v you are going to get 220v. But, with that said it would be fine for most USB charger because they can you usually handle both voltages.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

Just a caution on this one... This is an adapter and NOT a converter so if you plug a North American type device into it expecting just 110v you are going to get 220v. But, with that said it would be fine for most USB charger because they can you usually handle both voltages.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Absolutely! The USB hub I use is okay for use with either 110v or 22v, that's why I'm able to use it with an adapter and don't need a converter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

I was hoping there was a hidden socket or two elsewhere.  Working out what cables, chargers, converters etc to bring is a nightmare. 

There is a USB on the TV that can also be used for Power.

To cut down on cables I purchase some Octopus Cables and some multi port usb blocks -  both 220v and 120 V multi-port blocks

image.thumb.png.4f0e23c483d26d9693ae9de2b81065de.png

image.thumb.png.db6b3c76551489ac2af8a24407177dfc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is a USB on the TV that can also be used for Power.

To cut down on cables I purchase some Octopus Cables and some multi port usb blocks -  both 220v and 120 V multi-port blocks

Thats a good idea if it powers the device.

Even on S class ships I never have an issue. One adapter (if that) takes care of it. Have yet to run into an instance where my phone, watch, iPad and laptop need to be fully charged simultaneously.