Drinks. Drinks. Drinks. Drinks.

deltahog

First time Princess so forgive the ignorance level.  Previous cruises on RCL and Carnival always provided water, tea, juice, and coffee with basic fare, and sometimes soda, or not.  Appears not to be the case on Princess.  I am not an alcohol drinker except for occasional wine so don't care about a drink package.  I have some idea of some of the following but would like the bare cold facts from those experienced.

With no package, is anything available in MDR except water?  Iced tea would be the main choice for me.

What about elsewhere on the ship?  Are we water-only for the week?  If so, all bars simply give you water I assume?  I read somewhere there is self-serve juice for everyone but not sure where.

I read the rules as we can board with one 12-pack each of soda or similar per person, plus one bottle of wine per person.  Correct?

Other than from our own cans, and with no drink package, where can wife get her morning caffeine fix?  Is there a basic coffeepot sitting at the buffet?  I don't need caffeine.

Is there any self-serve drink at the buffet, or is it always ask a server?

Can we bring on additional drinks (just a six-pack type of thing) bought at the port stops?

Thanks for any assistance.

I always stop by a bar at night heading to my cabin and have never had an issue asking a bartender for a glass of ice water to take to my cabin for the night.  Ice tea and ice water is usually available at lunch and dinner in the buffet and I think I've seen lemonade too. I always bring my own tea bags to make my own iced tea with the hot water and ice that's always available.  You can fill up water bottles at self-serve water stations as well.

I'm not a soda or coffee drinker, so I can't help much there.

@deltahog, Generally on Princess, various juices from concentrate are complimentary during breakfast hours, after, unless you have a drink pkg, there is a charge for juice. In the buffet you are likely to to see pitchers of Orange juice from concentrate and possible some dispensing machines of OJ and Apple juice, as on the Sapphire. Other juices are available by request, just ask for what else is available. I know they also have cranberry, probably prune too.

Depending on the Class of ship, brewed coffee from beans is available in the buffet. 

I just disembarked from the Sapphire Princess and they are in the process of converting the coffee dispensing at the Buffett. The front buffet drink stations have ‘new’ Lavazza coffee dispensers where it is like a huge drip coffee dispenser where a crew member will attach a big funnel like piece to the top of the appliance which I assume contains grounded beans and then I see water pour down into the funnel and then it flows into the big dispensers below, when the coffee needs to be refilled.

The back buffet station still are using the coffee from concentrate, where you see a spigot to deliver the coffee. On Royal class ships, in the buffet you will see big coffee machines dispensing brewed coffee.

Princess announced a new partnership with Lavazza coffee so I am assuming the non Royal class ships will be converting their buffet coffee stations to these new Lavazza dispensers as I witnessed on the Sapphire?

Ice tea and lemonade are also usually available in the buffet and in the dining room. I have had lemonade in the dining room and sometimes told not available.

Usually there is plenty of crew in the buffet you get you your drinks, but you can go to the drink stations and help yourself. During Covid, only crew were allow at the drinks stations to limit contamination. 

I have seen passengers bring back from ports  2 liter bottles of soda, etc. without issue, but YMMV.

What/where did you get the impression with basic/standard fare, water, coffee, juice and ice tea not included on Princess?

Edited by wallyj

15 minutes ago, wallyj said:

What/where did you get the impression with basic/standard fare, water, coffee, juice and ice tea not included on Princess?

I have read many reviews at this point so I don't remember the specific location.  No one ever mentions what is available but I gleaned that alcohol (of course) and soda (ok) and juice (most of the time) are only available on paid packages.  Someone had a long complaint about getting "specialty" coffees and how difficult that was at the buffet and how long that took.  They were on a ++ package.

No one in any review I read simply said "here's what you get if you buy no packages."  Thanks, your post was comprehensive.

• Like 1

Great info from wallyj. Just to clarify since the OP may not be familiar with the Princess line. On the two smallest ships, the Coral Class, and the mid-sized ships Grand 1998 through Ruby 2018, there is self serve syrup coffee and decaf in the buffet, which most agree is not very tasty. One tap is left on at night for crew and night owls. The Sapphire is new information. And the agreement with Lavazza is recent.

Beginning with the currently newest and largest ships, the Royal Class, self-serve brewed coffee by machine is available 24/7 in the buffet. I find it acceptable, but those with more refined tastes might opt for barista coffee.

Looking at the future Sun Class, rumors say there will be Nespresso pod machines in the cabins. I'm not holding my breath on that.

Yes on soda and wine, soda must be in cans. No soda in bottles. Some have said they got stopped with fortified wines, sherry, port and the like. Others say no problem.

You may bring aboard more at port stops. 

On most Princess ships, you can look up which ones, the International Cafe is open 24 hours. Barista coffee at a charge, and goodies. Many here will tell you it's a favorite place on the ships.

There is a non-alcoholic beverage package, if you don't get Plus or Premium, but personal opinion, it is overpriced.

• Thanks 1

@deltahog Prior to sailing, you can order "flats" of bottled water (still-type) that will be delivered to your cabin. Very reasonable way to have bottled water ready and waiting for you. A package to order usually has 12 bottles and costs about $9.00 US. Order via the Cruise Personalizer, in the beverage options.

Coffee and tea in the dining room are no extra charge. Your waiter usually asks what kind of tea you would like - e.g., Earl Grey, English Breakfast, etc.

Enjoy your cruise! Bon Voyage!!

• Like 1

you have already gotten most of the info but a few other things...there is a fridge in your cabin & the steward will bring you ice twice a day if you ask (I always tell my steward when I see him/her on embarkation day that I really like ice), I bring a refillable bottle & either fill it at the dispenser in the buffet or sometimes will ask the waiter in the MDR to refill it (the water from the sink is fine to drink too I just like those other options), I haven't been on the Discovery yet but I saw a video tour & they actually had a station near the buffet for refilling those bottles like in airports...I usually get pineapple juice for breakfast (you usually have to ask for it in the buffet although maybe with the bigger buffet on the discovery they will have it out) & they usually have some small glasses of smoothies in the breakfast buffet too...there are occasional events that serve free drinks (maybe the first time cruiser event, sales at Effy [jewelery] & art gallery, champagne waterfall)

3 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

fill it at the dispenser in the buffet

For hygiene reasons bottles of any description should NEVER be filled from the dispensers in the buffet of any ship on any cruise line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, deltahog said:

Someone had a long complaint about getting "specialty" coffees and how difficult that was at the buffet and how long that took.  They were on a ++ package.

They must have been on one of the rust buckets in the fleet since we had zero problems getting specialty coffees in the bakery area of the buffets at the Barista station on the Discovery as well as the Majestic.  We had the Plus package and these drinks were included.

23 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

They must have been on one of the rust buckets in the fleet since we had zero problems getting specialty coffees in the bakery area of the buffets at the Barista station on the Discovery as well as the Majestic.  We had the Plus package and these drinks were included.

Sky Princess, currently sailing out of UK, also has Barista station in bakery area of the buffet. Specialty coffees included in plus package. If you don't have package your onboard account will be charged.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Sky Princess, currently sailing out of UK, also has Barista station in bakery area of the buffet. Specialty coffees included in plus package. If you don't have package your onboard account will be charged.

That would make sense since the Majestic and the Discovery, as well as the Sky are all Royal Class ships and are all based on the same basic schematic.  Had read somewhere that the Sun and Star will have a Nitro coffee station.  If this is indeed true our future Sphere Class sailings will contain an uptick in caffeine consumption.

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It was in one of the CruiseCritic reviews of a 2022 sailing on the Discovery.  Maybe one of the initial sailings.

17 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I always stop by a bar at night heading to my cabin and have never had an issue asking a bartender for a glass of ice water to take to my cabin for the night.  Ice tea and ice water is usually available at lunch and dinner in the buffet and I think I've seen lemonade too. I always bring my own tea bags to make my own iced tea with the hot water and ice that's always available.  You can fill up water bottles at self-serve water stations as well.

I'm not a soda or coffee drinker, so I can't help much there.

Did Princess do away with the cabin ice buckets that the room attendant would fill? 

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Did Princess do away with the cabin ice buckets that the room attendant would fill? 

Still there on Sky but our room steward was a lazy sod...minimum effort input only.
I asked him (very nicely 🙂 ) for ice each evening...he delivered day one, had to chase him day two, nothing day three. gave up on day four and brought a glass back from a bar instead.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

Still there on Sky but our room steward was a lazy sod...minimum effort input only.
I asked him (very nicely 🙂 ) for ice each evening...he delivered day one, had to chase him day two, nothing day three. gave up on day four and brought a glass back from a bar instead.

He wouldn't like me when he read or was told about my PCS. 

7 hours ago, david63 said:

For hygiene reasons bottles of any description should NEVER be filled from the dispensers in the buffet of any ship on any cruise line.

Incorrect the responder is referring to the devices specifically made to refill bottles just like the ones in airports. These are not the ones where you hold your bottle up to the spout. You have to put your bottle down in order to fill it. I have only seen this on the Discovery. They are found in airport all over the world

Edited by memoak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, david63 said:

I fill a glass from the dispenser & use it to pour into my bottle thank you...the Discovery apparently has the kind of dispensers that are specifically designed for refillable bottles where you put the bottle on the base well below where the water comes out & push a button to fill 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travelin.sisters said:

I fill a glass from the dispenser & use it to pour into my bottle thank you...the Discovery apparently has the kind of dispensers that are specifically designed for refillable bottles where you put the bottle on the base well below where the water comes out & push a button to fill 

That is exactly what they are 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 10:37 PM, deltahog said:

First time Princess so forgive the ignorance level.  Previous cruises on RCL and Carnival always provided water, tea, juice, and coffee with basic fare, and sometimes soda, or not.  Appears not to be the case on Princess.  I am not an alcohol drinker except for occasional wine so don't care about a drink package.  I have some idea of some of the following but would like the bare cold facts from those experienced.

With no package, is anything available in MDR except water?  Iced tea would be the main choice for me.

What about elsewhere on the ship?  Are we water-only for the week?  If so, all bars simply give you water I assume?  I read somewhere there is self-serve juice for everyone but not sure where.

I read the rules as we can board with one 12-pack each of soda or similar per person, plus one bottle of wine per person.  Correct?

Other than from our own cans, and with no drink package, where can wife get her morning caffeine fix?  Is there a basic coffeepot sitting at the buffet?  I don't need caffeine.

Can we bring on additional drinks (just a six-pack type of thing) bought at the port stops?

Hi we are not big drinkers either. We love the lemonade and fruit punch available around the ship on Celebrity and RCL. Princess however only has this kind of thing available at the buffet along with coffee, tea and hot chocolate. They do not have a drinks station for example at their grills and other eateries like you would find on other lines. I have given feedback about this because even with a drinks package it is a bother to get a drink from the bar when all one wants is a quick self serve drink of water when they eat at the grill. I have also said that with the removal of the coffee card, basic filter coffee should be available FOC at the international cafe, but I doubt this will ever happen.

We chose to buy the classic soda package on our last cruise because it includes soda but also any type of mocktail. I love virgin strawberry daiquiris so this worked for me. It might be worth looking into?

FYI I could get a glass of water at a bar no problem.

20 hours ago, deltahog said:

Bring on any water/soda you want.