Norwegian Joy adding more cabins and removing spaces in January 2024

shof515

2 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Encore’s lack of Spice H2O is already a pretty big negative.  

SpiceH2O is nice, for sure, but I only used it for the smoking area, and Mrs. RB only used it once. Encore has a couple other convenient areas so it's not that big of a deal.  We'll take the larger OL over Spice any day.

12 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

SpiceH2O is nice, for sure, but I only used it for the smoking area, and Mrs. RB only used it once. Encore has a couple other convenient areas so it's not that big of a deal.  We'll take the larger OL over Spice any day.

I agree - it's not make or break either way but just feel the NCL pool decks are rather tight and crowded (the ones I've been on at least) and Spice has been a nice area to get away from that, while still being outside.

I wonder if the Joy is also getting the Thalassotherapy Pool like her sister ships have. I really enjoyed them on the other ships.  I just got booked on this ship the other day for a group family cruise and will unfortunately miss it as I'll be on one of the last voyages before the drydock. 

4 hours ago, CruiserEK said:

I wonder if the Joy is also getting the Thalassotherapy Pool like her sister ships have. I really enjoyed them on the other ships.  I just got booked on this ship the other day for a group family cruise and will unfortunately miss it as I'll be on one of the last voyages before the drydock. 

None of the renderings or descriptions they released indicate there will be a pool, only showers.  It is likely prohibitively expensive and/or too time consuming to add a pool during dry dock due to required structural changes.

2 hours ago, uneamie said:

This is a link to all the info about this "dry dock" rehab. Looks like 24 added balcony cabins and added thermal spa balcony cabins. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-extensive-refurbishment-for-norwegian-joy

"In Norwegian Joy's suite complex, The Haven by Norwegian, Premier Owner’s Suites with a Large Balcony will be expanded to three-bedrooms. The two suites will include three bedrooms; three and a half bathrooms; a fully renovated living room, master bedroom and outdoor balcony furniture; as well as a new separate dining room overlooking the forward-facing The Haven Horizon Lounge."

Does that mean that the Haven "library" will get split in half and given to the H2 (or renamed to H1)?

2 hours ago, uneamie said:

This is a link to all the info about this "dry dock" rehab. Looks like 24 added balcony cabins and added thermal spa balcony cabins. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-extensive-refurbishment-for-norwegian-joy

Is it just me or is anyone else uncomfortable with a spa employee inserting an IV? Yikes! “Other additions include a new Biostation with IV Drip Therapy; four-senses loungers for for deep relaxation; and Kneipp haptic foot therapy, which massages feet as guests walk across the pebbled moving stream that alternates between hot and cold foot baths”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Streamlined?  Is that what we're going to call this?

Stupid NCL.

I can't disagree with your last sentence! When I hear streamlined or efficient, I know something good has been cut. So, that's why I used streamlined. I definitely don't agree with the addition of balcony rooms. I am quite happy with a thermal suite, so if there isn't a pool, is it really a thermal suite? Just rumors that there's no pool, but since NCL highlighted IV's and not a pool, I've got to think there is no (insert that fancy word) pool which makes me sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I can't disagree with your last sentence! When I hear streamlined or efficient, I know something good has been cut. So, that's why I used streamlined. I definitely don't agree with the addition of balcony rooms. I am quite happy with a thermal suite, so if there isn't a pool, is it really a thermal suite? Just rumors that there's no pool, but since NCL highlighted IV's and not a pool, I've got to think there is no (insert that fancy word) pool which makes me sad.

Yeah....Seems to be a "mini thermal suite" to me...with no pool. Although I've never booked a day at a thermal suite so what do I know. 

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"In Norwegian Joy's suite complex, The Haven by Norwegian, Premier Owner’s Suites with a Large Balcony will be expanded to three-bedrooms. The two suites will include three bedrooms; three and a half bathrooms; a fully renovated living room, master bedroom and outdoor balcony furniture; as well as a new separate dining room overlooking the forward-facing The Haven Horizon Lounge."

Does that mean that the Haven "library" will get split in half and given to the H2 (or renamed to H1)?

Yes, it looks like the library is no more and the space will be divided between the two H2's to creating dining areas for each suite that overlook the Horizon lounge. 

11 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Is it just me or is anyone else uncomfortable with a spa employee inserting an IV? Yikes! “Other additions include a new Biostation with IV Drip Therapy; four-senses loungers for for deep relaxation; and Kneipp haptic foot therapy, which massages feet as guests walk across the pebbled moving stream that alternates between hot and cold foot baths”

The only way they’re getting near me with an IV on a cruise ship is if it’s providing a steady drip of Malibu. 😜

• Haha 5

We're cruising with a teenager - he'll be 16 - in March on the Joy, but I don't mind these changes. He liked the Galaxy Pavilion on the Prima when we were on that in December, but he'll be okay without it, and I will definitely like the Thermal Spa. I loved the one on the Prima. As for the removal of Laser Tag, well, we would have used it, but probably only once, so that's fine. My son mostly spends his time on spring break cruises hanging out with new friends his age and going to the pool and relaxing around the ship. 

On 7/18/2023 at 1:59 PM, mugtech said:

More cabins, more money for NCL.  Shocking!!  Anticipating the usual stockholders telling us what a great move this is.

Not this one.  I am a stockholder and I think this sucks.  Not only what they are doing bujt the fact that the book up a ship then announce this.  I booked a group cruise very carefully choosing the ship and destination that I thought best suited our group.  If I were doing this next cruise on my own I would have cancelled but I have 12 cabins booked on this ship so there is too much at stake to change now.  Very disappointed in Norwegian.  Unfortunately, we will see more of this.  Post COVID, ships are booking over 100% of their capacity.  The economy is bad and they have already cut services and staff where every they can what else can they do but pack more people onto the ships and upsell more to their captive audience.  It may come as a surprise to many but about 50% of their revenue comes from on board sales. 

On 7/20/2023 at 9:26 PM, timf2001 said:

None of the renderings or descriptions they released indicate there will be a pool, only showers.  It is likely prohibitively expensive and/or too time consuming to add a pool during dry dock due to required structural changes.

So we’re adding a Thermal Spa but not the (arguably) best feature.  Yawn! 

• Like 2

So let's add "more people", "more additions that cost $"....less open space, less entertainment for kids, more competition for dining reservations and shows and since the Thermal spa has no pool why would I want to go there?....the pools in thermal spas where one can find room and peace away from the hoards of people are an extention of the overly crowded deck pool so this Joy Thermal spa is not very inticing to me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was hoping that a Thermal Suite would be added to the Joy. Having said that, if the Thermal Suite doesn’t have a pool, I would not consider booking a cruise on the Joy. I used to sail Royal Caribbean exclusively until I sailed on the Escape several years ago and discovered the Thermal Suite on that ship.  For me, it is the important feature of an NCL ship.  I no longer venture off the ship when in port, as every day on a cruise now finds me is in the Thermal Suite. I haven’t sailed Royal Caribbean since.  

• Like 1

I am upset about the observation lounge being broken up.  Years ago, NCL removed the Spinnaker Lounge from the Dawn, and replaced it with suites.  The lounge was moved to the stern of the ship and has very few windows.  

Customers complained, so the Dawn's sister ship was not renovated like that.  We like our observation lounges.  Please leave them alone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I am upset about the observation lounge being broken up.  Years ago, NCL removed the Spinnaker Lounge from the Dawn, and replaced it with suites.  The lounge was moved to the stern of the ship and has very few windows.  

Customers complained, so the Dawn's sister ship was not renovated like that.  We like our observation lounges.  Please leave them alone.

Dawn’s sister ship, the Star, had hers done the same way one year before Dawn’s. 

That made those 2 sister ships, Star and Dawn our least fave ships.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Yes, people here complained but both Star and Dawn lost front lounge for suites and insides.  One of their best moves for under utilized space and revenue generation.

Completely disagree.  This is not about making underutilized space better utilized.  First, it is not underutilized space by all, just by those that don't use it which makes it of value to everyone who does use it.  Second, the space is being taken up for cabins, not for other uses.  So all those who were using the space along with all the new guests in these cabins are jammed into the other areas of the ship that are already overcrowded.  So, nothing is gained but additional revenue for NCL.  And finally, who cares what the other lines are doing.  That is not the point here.  There are certain destinations that do pack them in to the observation lounge.  For example, on an Alaska cruise you might find it hard to get a seat there.

• Like 2