First time RC cruiser and already off to a negative start

56 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Unfortunately this package could have been booked when you purchased the beverage package and any other extras like wifi, excursions, etc. All these can be cancelled before the cruise. 

it’s a lesson learned and hopefully you’ll be able to book when you get on the ship.

Either way, you’ll have a great cruise! 

Appreciate it, thanks!

42 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

You are mad at RCCL  because you waited to book because the other family didn't?  But wait, you still were going to do this, with or without them, so you waited to the last minute?  Now it is RCCL fault that you did not purchase it?  The CS looked at screen and said not available.  

It's easy to blame others for your own mistake, but it was yours, and not the company that sold out.  Sometimes this is sold out weeks in advance.  They sell a limited amount.  

But the good news, is you can now eat with the other family. 

19 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Nope, you blew it by waiting too long.

In defense of the OP all he/she was looking for a direct response of yes or no on availability.

• Like 1

I understand the frustration.  The frustration is NOT because the dining plan couldn't be booked, it's because the CSR couldn't give a reason it couldn't be booked.  "Sold out" and "too close to sailing" are valid reasons.  

But the OP wasn't given a reason, just being told "nope, can't do it".  

I would probably be a LITTLE miffed too.  I'd like to know the reason I can't do something, if it appears I'm doing everything right.  If I'm doing something wrong, let me know so I'll know in the future not to do that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buccaneergirl said:

As soon as you get onboard, you will be able to purchase the dining pkg. that you want and then you can make reservations through the RCL app.
There will be a table on the way to boarding the ship or once onboard, near the entrance to where you board, where they are selling the different dining pkgs.

Have fun on your cruise!

Dont count on it, on Dec 2021 this happened to me, when  was onboard I couldnt buy UDP for me

and my family, i had to make reservations individually for each restaurants at current prices,since 

then what I do is as soon i make a cruise reservation I buy UDP

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I understand the frustration.  The frustration is NOT because the dining plan couldn't be booked, it's because the CSR couldn't give a reason it couldn't be booked.  "Sold out" and "too close to sailing" are valid reasons.  

I would probably be a LITTLE miffed too.  I'd like to know the reason I can't do something, if it appears I'm doing everything right.  If I'm doing something wrong, let me know so I'll know in the future not to do that.

100%.

It is what it is. If it doesn't work out, no biggy. 

49 minutes ago, cruisefoodie1946 said:

Dont count on it, on Dec 2021 this happened to me, when  was onboard I couldnt buy UDP for me

and my family, i had to make reservations individually for each restaurants at current prices,since 

then what I do is as soon i make a cruise reservation I buy UDP

The silver lining,  if possible,  is we don't want UDP.

Just one or two nights. 

7 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Just one or two nights. 

You'll have no trouble getting that.  Just go to the restaurant you want to book first thing when you get aboard and they will sort you out.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Even though it was too late for the OP, most here are always happy to help with probably better info than calling royal. 

9 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Just one or two nights. 

That’s probably 100% possible. You’ll see tables set up in promenade, outside WJ and other places to sign up. You don’t need to go to the restaurant and you can book all you want.

9 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Even though it was too late for the OP, most here are always happy to help with probably better info than calling royal. 

But, there was no real reason to ask here.  OP goes to the web page to book, the web page doesn't allow it, but says "Call us".  Now, does it make sense to ask here, or to call Royal?  As I understand it, they were down to the last hour before being cut off.  So you make a post to CC, and hope someone gives you information OTHER than "call Royal"?  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But, there was no real reason to ask here.  OP goes to the web page to book, the web page doesn't allow it, but says "Call us".  Now, does it make sense to ask here, or to call Royal?  As I understand it, they were down to the last hour before being cut off.  So you make a post to CC, and hope someone gives you information OTHER than "call Royal"?  

Is seems not in this case but generally I find I can get any info I need from this group and the OP sees now tha they can get lots of info here in the future….because I’m sure they’ll love the cruise 😁

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You'll have no trouble getting that.  Just go to the restaurant you want to book first thing when you get aboard and they will sort you out.  

This this this  No problem, go when you step on the ship though. Or to one of those tables Beach was talking about.  The restaurant wasn't closed to you only the packages online.

Edited by BecciBoo

6 hours ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Back story:   We are traveling with another family and their extended family starting this weekend.

We already pre-booked our beverage package, but were waiting till the other family made their decision on the dining package. They ended up not doing any sort of dining package (but waited to the last minute) so we logged in last night with about an hour plus to spare (according to their countdown timer)  to purchase and make reservations.

The 'reserve' button was greyed out and we were told to call.

We called, and even though it stated on the website we still had over 45 minutes left to pay and book we were told "Not available". Even when it was pointed out, the person on the phone seemed unmoved and didn't explain WHY, just that we couldn't. It was a bit annoying, even if we were told that all the reservations were booked we would be a bit understanding as people were making the final dash to get their reservations.

As per the website this AM, it says we have to wait till we board to make any reservations for specialty dining. I guess the customer service desk will be our first destination post-boarding....  Bit annoyed. As long time NCL travelers, we opted for RC as that was what our friends requested. We shall see how we are treated on board after we speak with the customer service reps.

How is it RCI’s fault because you waited too long? Anyways, instead of wasting time going to customer service (who can’t do anything for you), when you board the ship go immediately to any speciality restaurant where you can book reservation(s) for any speciality restaurant(s) (based on availability). 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How is it RCI’s fault because you waited too long? Anyways, instead of wasting time going to customer service (who can’t do anything for you), when you board the ship go immediately to any speciality restaurant where you can book reservation(s) for any speciality restaurant(s) (based on availability). 

Please quote me where I said it's RCs fault that I couldn't book anything.

You and others have stated such, but I have not. Even some posters have pointed out to others that I have never said RC was at fault for waiting to the last minute. The issue was never that.

Thanks for the rest of your post. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Please quote me where I said it's RCs fault that I couldn't book anything.

You and others have stated such, but I have not. Even some posters have pointed out to others that I have never said RC was at fault for waiting to the last minute. The issue was never that.

Thanks for the rest of your post. 

Based on the word “negative” in your topic and what you stated in your original post, it came across to me that you were not happy with RCI. I apologize if I misunderstood your initial post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on the word “negative” in your topic and what you stated in your original post, it came across to me that you were not happy with RCI. I apologize if I misunderstood your initial post. 

Only unhappy with the non answer the CS provided and couldn't give any answer as to why (even when their website told us to call).

If we were told it's booked, or the promo has ended, this thread would have never been made. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

So you waited too long and couldn't book something, and this is RC's fault?

Yes, it is 100% RC's fault as they led the OP to believe they had an hour to book when that was not the case. Then when the OP followed the instructions to call, instead of being told it was  sold out, just told them too bad and shrugged their shoulders.  Which is also 100% complete unacceptable.

However, I don't blame RC for the lack of reading comprehension by you and others. That's entirely your guys fault. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Only unhappy with the non answer the CS provided and couldn't give any answer as to why (even when their website told us to call).

Fortunately, Royals ship-based customer service is 1000 times better than their land-based customer service. 

Hope you have a great cruise and you & the rest of the family have some great dining onboard.  Let us know how it went when you get back, if you like.

Just now, HBE4 said:

Fortunately, Royals ship-based customer service is 1000 times better than their land-based customer service. 

Hope you have a great cruise and you & the rest of the family have some great dining onboard.  Let us know how it went when you get back, if you like.

Good to know. Appreciate it. 

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Exactly, going to customer service would bet a total waste of time. By the time they got out of the customer service line many specialty slots would be long gone. 

1 hour ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Just one or two nights. 

Oh… so here’s a cool thing… they often also do sales onboard, for the specialty restaurants, especially if they are low capacity 🙂. Sometimes they’ll have a table set up in windjammer or elsewhere, selling them.  I also feel like we’ve been approached while in the MDR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Exactly, going to customer service would bet a total waste of time. By the time they got out of the customer service line many specialty slots would be long gone. 

Thanks. I'll look and see where the restaurants are on the ship and B line it to them.

1 minute ago, AlaskaGoer said:

Thanks. I'll look and see where the restaurants are on the ship and B line it to them.

If you plan to book more than one restaurant you should be able to do it all at whatever restaurant you go to first.  They are all linked to the same system usually.  I say usually because I have read here a couple of times that Hibachi was different.  That wasn't my experience but I have read it here so I thought I would mention it as a possibility. 

• Thanks 1