Elitism by other cruise lines about Carnival?

GwenyP

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

One of the main differences between Walmart and Shopping Malls is that Walmart has enormous buying power and better prices.

That should be better prices sometimes, and not on all products.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Also, my husband and I were looking at the pics of the "Celebrity Infinity" and both of us were commenting on how much it looked like the Pride and Splendor in terms of lay out, design, color, etc. 

I was on the infinity years ago before they redid her. I have been on the splendor and miracle - sorry but the infinity is not anything like a carnival ship. She is smaller than most of the ship in celebrity but her features are upscale from the carnival ships. 

Eli_6  - "My kid's entire evaluation of cruise ships is solely based on the water slides.

Frankly, the idea that anyone going on a cruise ship would look down on anyone else is a little silly. You aren't chartering a private yacht."

😅😅😅

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

That is kind of the elitism in question.

You prefer Apple - nothing wrong with that. That doesn't objectively make it "better", or "superior" - you just prefer it.

Chocolate isn't a better product than vanilla, some people just prefer chocolate over vanilla.

Clearly I was being facetious

19 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I was on the infinity years ago before they redid her. I have been on the splendor and miracle - sorry but the infinity is not anything like a carnival ship. She is smaller than most of the ship in celebrity but her features are upscale from the carnival ships. 

I was on Infinity a few months ago and was shocked by the amount of visible rust. Also noticed other maintenance issues. For example, the balcony lock in my cabin was broken. I reported it twice and the cabin steward was well aware that it was broken. It remained broken for the entire 2 weeks of the cruise.

DSC08897_DxO.thumb.jpg.c0b63cd20355e4e1f86e7d604d2f0b48.jpg

PXL_20230211_222333490_DxO.thumb.jpg.0d8aa9ef2d9290e5e01b3d104d2b8339.jpgPXL_20230211_223049738_DxO.thumb.jpg.cf0f57ab982ba1821ea7f3572f52c0e5.jpgPXL_20230211_223046505_DxO.thumb.jpg.d771eead41225c17d9acffd94a44b337.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

They may have been "upscale" 20 years ago, but the design and decor that I saw pictures of was EXTREMELY dated. It is not what you see if you open the pages of Architectural Digest.  And it certainly doesn't look like the design of the Apex or any of the newer Celebrity ships. 

No interior designer would design the interior of a new home, hotel, or ship to look like the interior photos below. The color schemes in the cabins scream "2005." No one has used that awful marooney-red color in the last 15 years. 

And, yes, I know I now sound like I am looking down my nose at the design. I am not going to lie--I expected more. I don't really care, though, because I am going for the destinations and not for the decor of the ship. The older ships on Carnival aren't any better, but I don't think anyone here is trying to act like they are. I don't see anyone saying, "Man! I just love the Splendor!  All those circles really made me feel relaxed and at ease.  And that artwork of the man sitting on the toilet in the elevator-best work of art I have ever encountered!  It should be next to the David!"  She needs updating. SNS.  That's probably why they are sending her to cruise a place where people are going not for the ship but for the ports of call.

celebrity-infinity_25_oceanview_aquaclass.jpg

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I don't see anyone saying, "Man! I just love the Splendor!  All those circles really made me feel relaxed and at ease.  And that artwork of the man sitting on the toilet in the elevator-best work of art I have ever encountered!  It should be next to the David!" 

I can't lie, I love a good Joe Farcus ship!  They have lots of...character, lol.

Except for the Magic.  Man, I hate that brown and green color scheme.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I can't lie, I love a good Joe Farcus ship!  They have lots of...character, lol.

Some of the Joe Farcus stuff is fun in a kitsch sort of way.  But the circles were too much. They gave me a head ache.  

With that said, I actually loved the lay out of the splendor and the retractable roof pool and how many hot tubs it had.  But oh those circles! And in pepto bismol pink, too!  What was he thinking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

They may have been "upscale" 20 years ago, but the design and decor that I saw pictures of was EXTREMELY dated. It is not what you see if you open the pages of Architectural Digest.  And it certainly doesn't look like the design of the Apex or any of the newer Celebrity ships. 

No interior designer would design the interior of a new home, hotel, or ship to look like the interior photos below. The color schemes in the cabins scream "2005." No one has used that awful marooney-red color in the last 15 years. 

And, yes, I know I now sound like I am looking down my nose at the design. I am not going to lie--I expected more. I don't really care, though, because I am going for the destinations and not for the decor of the ship. The older ships on Carnival aren't any better, but I don't think anyone here is trying to act like they are. I don't see anyone saying, "Man! I just love the Splendor!  All those circles really made me feel relaxed and at ease.  And that artwork of the man sitting on the toilet in the elevator-best work of art I have ever encountered!  It should be next to the David!"  She needs updating. SNS.  That's probably why they are sending her to cruise a place where people are going not for the ship but for the ports of call.

celebrity-infinity_25_oceanview_aquaclass.jpg

The same can be said for many older ships I guess.  

35 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I began with cruising with Carnival  out of Galveston. I remember a ship with happy hallways of colorful tropical birds -- the Triumph? Magic?

On 7/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, sanger727 said:

I've been on a couple Celebrity cruises and can't say I've run into any more entitled people than you might find in any other location. There are always people who think they are better than others for whatever reason. 

There are alot of people on the celebrity forum that like to bash others for all kinds of reasons; but I don't think that translates to the environment on the ship. 

And for the record. Apple Iphones are better superior to other cell phone brands. Having tried both and prefering a better product doesn't make me elitist. 

And that's just it, you kind of proved what everyone has been saying.    Are Apple iphones superior?   Well that's your opinion, not necessarily a fact, you found the need, in a Carnival forum to throw that in there.    Phones, like cruise lines are a personal choice.  iPhones are no better than any flagship phone from any other company.  It's personal preference.  Maybe you like iOS better than Android?  And that's it.  Maybe there are things on Celebrity that people like better than Carnival, maybe there are things on Carnival you like better than Celebrity.   There's no right answer.  What works for you, doesn't work for me.   It's why some people like blue, and others red.  Find what you like and be happy about that.  I've sailed on a few different lines and I like things and dislike things about all of them.   People who think one thing is better than something else don't need to rub the other person's face in it.   Enjoy what you like and be happy 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, steveknj said:

And that's just it, you kind of proved what everyone has been saying.    Are Apple iphones superior?   Well that's your opinion, not necessarily a fact, you found the need, in a Carnival forum to throw that in there.    Phones, like cruise lines are a personal choice.  iPhones are no better than any flagship phone from any other company.  It's personal preference.  Maybe you like iOS better than Android?  And that's it.  Maybe there are things on Celebrity that people like better than Carnival, maybe there are things on Carnival you like better than Celebrity.   There's no right answer.  What works for you, doesn't work for me.   It's why some people like blue, and others red.  Find what you like and be happy about that.  I've sailed on a few different lines and I like things and dislike things about all of them.   People who think one thing is better than something else don't need to rub the other person's face in it.   Enjoy what you like and be happy 🙂

I was being sarcastic. Because the poster I quoted said that it was unclear which one is better. It was a joke. 

7 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm interested in taking a transpacific from Hawaii to Australia.  What was the cruise line(s) involved here?  What did they say or do that annoyed you?  Thank you in advance for your insight.

Sorry for the diversion.  Please continue with your discussion.

Aloha. We sailed Princess. A group from Chicago. One man pretended he was from NY but when we chatted for a bit I knew he was lying. He was just loud and annoying as were his companions. When we finished the cruise in Tahiti after sailing around the islands we stayed for several days and low and behold the group stayed at our hotel. They were less loud  but the point being doesn’t matter the line, the ship, the itinerary you can have a motley group anywhere anytime lol!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I was on Infinity a few months ago and was shocked by the amount of visible rust. Also noticed other maintenance issues. For example, the balcony lock in my cabin was broken. I reported it twice and the cabin steward was well aware that it was broken. It remained broken for the entire 2 weeks of the cruise.

DSC08897_DxO.thumb.jpg.c0b63cd20355e4e1f86e7d604d2f0b48.jpg

PXL_20230211_222333490_DxO.thumb.jpg.0d8aa9ef2d9290e5e01b3d104d2b8339.jpgPXL_20230211_223049738_DxO.thumb.jpg.cf0f57ab982ba1821ea7f3572f52c0e5.jpgPXL_20230211_223046505_DxO.thumb.jpg.d771eead41225c17d9acffd94a44b337.jpg

Aloha. My opinion is that because all the major holding companies are in hock it shows not only in service issues, food decline, etc but also in maintenance.  I believe it is only the beginning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All you have to do is observe people and you'll see it for yourself. It is also something that is discussed in numerous textbooks (including textbooks on marketing). 

I've been on dozens of cruises and never heard anyone ever bash or talk down about another line. 

15 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. My opinion is that because all the major holding companies are in hock it shows not only in service issues, food decline, etc but also in maintenance.  I believe it is only the beginning.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  And I don't think this is a problem specific to Carnival. Nor do I think it is something that Celebrity is somehow not experiencing as well.  

Yeah this totally happens. RC fans crap on Carnival. Celebrity fans crap on RC. On and on it goes. But it's no different than anything else in life. Car fans crap on various other brands. Shoe fans and sports fans the same thing.

A huge segment of the population derive their self worth from the products they choose to buy and denigrating those who buy competing products.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

My neighbor does all the time. Bags on Carnival, thinks RCI is the bees knees.

We took my nanny on the Vista back when the Vista was almost new.  It was her first cruise. Talked about how great RC was and slammed Carnival the whole time. We were paying for the cruise. Really annoyed me. She had no basis of comparison and was on an almost new ship.  

Just now, Eli_6 said:

We took my nanny on the Vista back when the Vista was almost new.  It was her first cruise. Talked about how great RC was and slammed Carnival the whole time. We were paying for the cruise. Really annoyed me. She had no basis of comparison and was on an almost new ship.  

Regurgitating others opinions when you have no basis for it...love it.

That would have made me find another Nanny lol

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

I've been on dozens of cruises and never heard anyone ever bash or talk down about another line. 

It doesn't necessarily only happen on ship nor is it limited to cruising. When we cruised on Royal we heard several such remarks.