MDR Britannia Table Recommendations

richstowe

We will be on the next QE cruise and chose the late seating option . I tried to find a deck plan showing individual tables as we would request a window location from the M'D if possible. Is there such a deck plan ? I'm not sure if we will be on deck 2 or 3 and assume one deck is for open seating. 

thanks

Hi!  You are not going to find accurate seating charts and even if you did there is no guarantee the tables haven't changed.  This is what I recommend:

1.  When you get on the ship make it a priority to visit the dining room.  Bring your table card with you.  Find your assigned table and if it is acceptable there is nothing else to do.

2.  If you don't like your table, scout out the room and make a note of the table numbers of the tables you do like.

3.  Meet with the MD when he is scheduled to be there (get there early and beat the line) and request a change of tables.  I have found that second sitting is not as in demand as first so you have a good chance of getting to the table you like.

4.  If on day of sailing there are no window tables available ask the MD to let you know if it something opens up for the second night.  People do have a tendency to move around so something you like could open up.   I do not want to open up another tipping debate.   I have found its worthwhile to let the MD know you will be happy to show your gratitude.  Good luck

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 3

I am a bit confused here. So if I go down in the pm  and like the table I have been assigned  on my card , do I have to go early to make sure I am not bumped by some else deciding they want it and have got there earlier than me and requested a swop. Doesn’t sound very fair. 

Or just be happy with the table already because all is being suggested is by deck chair is bribe the MD and he will bump the person's assigned that table because you have lined his pocket with a few dollars. Not nice, just think if you had been assigned a window table and you had been moved without your knowledge because somebody had given money to MD to move you and they had your table. How would you feel.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 9

Some great info. Thank you. Two questions though.... Will there be a sign stating the times the MD will be in the Dining Room or is it a case of going to ask someone? And if we are assigned open dining what's out chances of getting a fixed table on the second sitting or is it worth calling Cunard to get it changed.

54 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not nice, just think if you had been assigned a window table and you had been moved without your knowledge because somebody had given money to MD to move you and they had your table. How would you feel.

So you are willing to be rude to another CCer to to prevent a hypothetical situation on board that could possibly happen to someone somewhere . Thanks .

32 minutes ago, GaryEssex said:

if we are assigned open dining what's out chances of getting a fixed table on the second sitting or is it worth calling Cunard to get it changed.

We changed from open seating when we discovered late seating was 7:45 instead of 8:30 and read that open seating can be a mess . We went to our booking to change it . You could also call but try changing it on-line first as it's faster .

33 minutes ago, richstowe said:

So you are willing to be rude to another CCer to to prevent a hypothetical situation on board that could possibly happen to someone somewhere . Thanks .

I am not being rude just stating fact. If you go down to see MD on day of boarding to see if you can change sitting or change number at a table that is fair enough. But to go down look around tables and then ask MD to change your table for 2 to a better position and promise or give an amount of cash as a thank you is not nice and they wouldn't like it if somebody had done the same across them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am not being rude just stating fact. If you go down to see MD on day of boarding to see if you can change sitting or change number at a table that is fair enough. But to go down look around tables and then ask MD to change your table for 2 to a better position and promise or give an amount of cash as a thank you is not nice and they wouldn't like it if somebody had done the same across them.

That is not fact but pure conjecture. The MD is best placed to know how his/her restaurant seating plan is arranged and there may well be spare tables scattered around to accommodate such requests. There is no evidence to corroborate your allegation that another guest will be denied their assigned table just because an incentive may be involved.

• Like 1

To clarify, when we get to our cabin and check our table allocation, we go down to check our table allocation and see where it is located and see if we can change to a diff table if it is not suitable.  But, if that cannot happen we either just sit at the assigned table or go to another restaurant.  We don't interact with the maitre de other than that and have never offered incentive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richstowe said:

We changed from open seating when we discovered late seating was 7:45 instead of 8:30 and read that open seating can be a mess . We went to our booking to change it . You could also call but try changing it on-line first as it's faster .

we booked direct with Cunard on the phone, when they ask us if e wanted early or late seating or  open dining, we went for open because the times (all!) sounded early for us.... but the more I hear/read, the more I'm thinking maybe we will be better on late seating.....

I believe the suggestion given refers to looking for suitable tables then asking if any of them or similar might still be unassigned.

Regardless of gratuity there is no way that people are going to be bumped involuntarily.

Imagine the chaos at the door if that were a common practice!

• Like 3

On 7/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, deck chair said:

Hi!  You are not going to find accurate seating charts and even if you did there is no guarantee the tables haven't changed.  This is what I recommend:

1.  When you get on the ship make it a priority to visit the dining room.  Bring your table card with you.  Find your assigned table and if it is acceptable there is nothing else to do.

2.  If you don't like your table, scout out the room and make a note of the table numbers of the tables you do like.

3.  Meet with the MD when he is scheduled to be there (get there early and beat the line) and request a change of tables.  I have found that second sitting is not as in demand as first so you have a good chance of getting to the table you like.

4.  If on day of sailing there are no window tables available ask the MD to let you know if it something opens up for the second night.  People do have a tendency to move around so something you like could open up.   I do not want to open up another tipping debate.   I have found its worthwhile to let the MD know you will be happy to show your gratitude.  Good luck

Deck Chair

Get there early and beat the line?  The two times I've gone, people were lined up well in advance of the announced hour.

3 hours ago, 57eric said:

Get there early and beat the line?  The two times I've gone, people were lined up well in advance of the announced hour.

How true…

Actually witnessed the queue end aside the lobby stairs, even before the doors had opened.

@richstowe - Sometimes I ring Cunard’s customer contact centre and ask if a note can be placed on our booking that we would like a window table, if possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. (Once we had the table next to the window table and lovely conversations with the ladies who occupied it, so that worked well anyway). 

Quite often on our trips it’s dark by 8.30 anyway, so the request is less about the view and more about being in a nice position with neighbours only on one side. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

QV Brittania deck 2 late sitting we always had a table for 2 in the back window which we loved despite the throbbing of the propellers and noise but can't remember its number 358 or 368 possibly. Want to put it on our next booking comments anybody help? 

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

QV Brittania deck 2 late sitting we always had a table for 2 in the back window which we loved despite the throbbing of the propellers and noise but can't remember its number 358 or 368 possibly. Want to put it on our next booking comments anybody help? 

Wish one luck, because this table for 2 (numbered xxx) may have been a four split to make 2x2’s retaining the original table for 4 number xxx.

Try asking on a QV site for a CC member currently onboard to check.

• Thanks 1

I have  always requested table for 2 window seat but never been lucky. I think you may  need to manage your expectations . Have you been lucky post shut down to get your choice? One floor is freedom dining now so if your preferred table was on that level you couldn’t book anyway. 

10 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Not sure if it's the same in all the restaurants, but in QG, the table numbers can vary due to different configurations.

If you have a specific table in mind, it might be safer to describe the position in case you ask for table 2, and table 2 position changes and you end up elsewhere.