Australia cruise planning

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

As far as I can see, only reason would be if you are uncomfortable carrying around a large bundle of cash. I normally pick up a wodge of appropriate currency before heading OS.

Often you get a better exchange rate using a local ATM than buying currency at home but that usually only applies to using a debit card not a credit card.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:25 AM, Tigerlily75 said:

I’ll see you on board! I have booked that cruise Brisbane to Brisbane. There’s a roll call for it here if you’re interested 

Thanks I'll join the group 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also check what flights Princess are offering. Sometimes they have some great deals.

Yes along with the cruise Princess has sold us guaranteed seats for a fixed price. When the airlines release seats for our flights Princess will sort out which airline etc. 

As its such a long flight we will be booking premium economy probably with Emirates 

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

There is, however, a fee for withdrawing cash on the credit card.

That's the problem. You need to withdraw cash using a debit card, not a credit card. Not only will there be a fee with a credit card, you will be charged interest on the cash advance at very high rates, and this will continue until you pay off the whole outstanding balance on the credit card.  With a debit card, it's your money, so the only charge should be the foreign exchange fee, and maybe a small charge for using an ATM.   Withdrawing cash in the currency of the country you are visiting usually gets you a much better rate than doing it at home.   You can also find out if your debit card bank has an agreement with an Australian bank, which will reduce the charge. There are four big Australian banks and many overseas banks might have an agreement with one of them - just ask.

You can find out exactly how much your credit and debit cards charge for foreign exchange transactions. It may take a bit of effort - they usually hide it in the fine print somewhere, and it does vary a lot between banks. One of my two debit cards charges nearly twice as much as the other.

• Like 1

I've had quite a few trips to US and Canada but I have not seen this happening before my last cruise tour in January.

This one below, roughly translated into Strine, reads "We underpay our employees. Can you make up the difference?"

IMG_20230608_152013494.jpg

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 3

We are doing 47 nights on Royal next year.  We are flying in 3 nights early and staying 4 nights after in Sydney.  

We use our credit card for everything with no foreign transaction fees.  Unless an excursion needs cash I’m wondering why we will need it.  Are cards accepted everywhere?  Cabs?  We will want to take a minimum needed.

We just spent a long weekend in Canada and didn’t use any cash.  

Edited by cruiselvr04

For anything under $5, I will use cash. Hard to buy anything totaling under $5 these days anyway. I cashed in some lottery tickets 2 months ago, and still have half of the $48 cash in my wallet. For Mastercard and VIsa, these are accepted everywhere. Amex, DIners Club or anything else have far less coverage.

Cabs will take credit cards and you won't need cash for tips.

• Like 1

What’s the smallest bill for for NZ and Australia?  Do you use coins under $5?  I’m thinking of loading a debit card with a small amount and take out whats needed with an ATM.  We did this in Europe and it it worked well.  We will use our credit card everywhere it’s accepted. 

13 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

What’s the smallest bill for for NZ and Australia

Making this mistake will get you in a lot of trouble... Australia and NZ are not the same country.

Yep. $5 is the smallest note. 
Australia Currency | Monete, Coin, Vecchie monete

60 best images about School - MATHS - Money Money Money on Pinterest | Money, Activities and Coins

That 50 cent coin is huge. The 1 and 2 dollar coins are smaller but heavy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Making this mistake will get you in a lot of trouble... Australia and NZ are not the same country.

Yep. $5 is the smallest note. 
Australia Currency | Monete, Coin, Vecchie monete

That 50 cent coin is huge. The 1 and 2 dollar coins are smaller but heavy.

Compared to US currency, yes, the coins are a bit heavier.

20c & 50c coins take up space and are collectively heavy. $1 & 2 coins are slightly thicker, but both wiegh less than a 20c coin. I would much rather have $10 of 2 coins in my pocket than $10 of 20c coins.

We used to have 1 and 2 cent coins, but they became pretty much useless (much like your pennies) and were withdrawn in 1991. If paying with credit card, you pay the exact price, but if you pay by cash the price is rounded up/down to the nearest 0 or 5c. 

The price on the label/advertised price is the price you pay. There are no additional taxes or gratuities to add, so is very much an inclusive price. Bartering is not customary, but it may be worth asking for a collective discount if buying multiple items.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

Sigh... I hate coins. I never carry coins at home. I toss them into the console of my truck. If I am going to go into a store for a specific purchase and plan to use cash (not often) I will sometimes grab a couple of coins to take in with me but, for the most part, I don't use coins at home. I likely have some Loonies or Toonies in a drawer (along with Canadian bills and Euros). Probably at least $30CAD and €30 as well. Perhaps I'll take all the miscellaneous cash with me and use it to tip my room steward.

FYI, pictures of NZ currency. Our coins are generally smaller than Aus coins, so not so weighty. Also, sensibly, our $2 coin is larger than our $1 coin (sorry Aus), it takes a while to get used to the Aussie $2 coin being so much smaller than their $1 coin. Also I believe, $5 in coins is the max to be considered legal tender, although I doubt anywhere enforces it, except of course if you you present with a ridiculous amount, ie raided piggy bank or coins jar 💰

Screenshot_20230815-104132_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230815-104346_Google.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Same here. Perhaps a $1 or $2 coin for a shopping trolley in case I can't find the one in the car I keep for that purpose.

No need in NZ, shopping trolleys are free and can be found dumped in the streets, often a fair way from the supermarket, and, of course, submerged or partially submerged in local creeks and waterways!

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Jean C said:

No need in NZ, shopping trolleys are free and can be found dumped in the streets, often a fair way from the supermarket, and, of course, submerged or partially submerged in local creeks and waterways!

Same here. Most trolleys are free, but the coin deposit ones don't tend to leave the car park.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jean C said:

FYI, pictures of NZ currency. Our coins are generally smaller than Aus coins, so not so weighty. Also, sensibly, our $2 coin is larger than our $1 coin (sorry Aus), it takes a while to get used to the Aussie $2 coin being so much smaller than their $1 coin. Also I believe, $5 in coins is the max to be considered legal tender, although I doubt anywhere enforces it, except of course if you you present with a ridiculous amount, ie raided piggy bank or coins jar 💰

Screenshot_20230815-104132_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230815-104346_Google.jpg

Technically, the $5 cap for legal tender of small coins could be a problem. A bank could refuse to accept them when cashing-in for notes???

$1 & $2 coins have a $100 maximum as legal tender.

53 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Same here. Perhaps a $1 or $2 coin for a shopping trolley in case I can't find the one in the car I keep for that purpose.

I keep a few goldies in the console of the car for parking, but most of them prefer card these days anyway. Any change will live in my fob pocket for the day, then into a money tin. Our local noodle bar is cash only, so that is where the smaller coins end up.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Technically, the $5 cap for legal tender of small coins could be a problem. A bank could refuse to accept them when cashing-in for notes???

$1 & $2 coins have a $100 maximum as legal tender.

Banks in NZ tend to have coin counting machines and will take your coins to, for example, change into notes. Some will charge a small counting fee, but rest assured the $5 legal tender limit doesn't apply to banks 🙂

15 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m thinking of loading a debit card with a small amount and take out whats needed with an ATM.  We did this in Europe and it it worked well.  We will use our credit card everywhere it’s accepted. 

That will work, and you'll get a better rate than buying Australian and NZ banknotes while still at home. Ask your bank some questions before you do this. Make sure that your card will be acceptable in Australian and NZ ATMs. Does it have a 4 digit PIN?  Also check how much you will be charged for a foreign exchange transaction.