Could someone confirm or deny...

shepherd really

I believe no piece of information is final with Oceania until we actually experience it. Two internet accounts per cabin will be appreciated by the most of the cruisers. I haven’t heard anything in particular but won’t be surprised if at the end all people will also get free drinks with dinner whether they booked with OLife or SM. Guess, many who made the switch will be disappointed if that happens.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Your assumption is dubious since the Summer Sale and Simply More rolled out virtually simultaneously. 

Look, I am cynical to the point of being annoying to many on this board, but this does not look like an instance of "shady" business practices.  

I do not see how touting 2nd wifi as part of an incentive to switch to Simply More and announcing several weeks later that it is included for those who did not switch is anything but a deceptive business practice.

• Like 1

Because of the deal we got, when I looked at all the details and added up the prices to compare, the price I paid compared to the Simply More price were exactly the same, with one exception: my wi-fi was limited to one! So, when I read about this, let's just say sometimes you get a break. A small break. A slight smile. Whatever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, shepherd really said:

Good catch, I missed that. Assuming it was intentional and not a communications mistake.  Toss a coin with O. 

Yep.  One has to wonder if O's communications team deliberately tries to confound their audience! 😁

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Yep.  One has to wonder if O's communications team deliberately tries to confound their audience! 😁

It is  so easy to do  they do not have to try too hard 😄

• Like 1

Long overdue. We were surprised quite frankly that it was limited to one person.

It was excruciatingly slow, even for a cruise ship.  We bought service through our cell provider (cellular at sea) and it was better. Refused to pay extra for another person when it was so poor to begin with. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, basor said:

Sent to me by TA - so it is confirmed

image.png.88bb804012f57708ccad052ff62a596b.png

Thank you for posting this! I was considering upgrading to SM a couple of weeks ago to take advantage of second log-in. When I asked my TA, she said I already had two log-ins from what she could see. I was going to follow up with Oceania but never got around to it. Great news. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Good catch, I missed that. Assuming it was intentional and not a communications mistake.  Toss a coin with O. 

The running joke on many boards is "If you have a yes/no question, call 3 times and average the answers". 

• Haha 4

Asked my TA about booking cruise only.  She said that it isn’t an option. Everyone gets simply more. Only option is with or without air.  
not sure if this will last. We were on Celebrity and booked All In.  When we booked cruise only wasn’t an option.  We are not drinkers.  There were many drunks on that cruise. It was enough to drive us away from Celebrity. Now I noticed that cruise only is an option.  
oceania Olife was a good fit for us.  We either took excursions in new ports.  Cruise only worked for us on most cruises.  

19 hours ago, basor said:

Of course, we are on VISTA starting on the 29SEP so just miss this but will be able to take advantage on our B2B2B for our other 2 VISTA cruises following....

We are on Marina Sept 29.  Hopefully it will magically turn on on the 1st?  LOL

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

. . . .

Now if I were "O", giving everyone in the stateroom two devices simply makes my life easier.  Too hard to manage otherwise.  Doing the math, I wonder who would not have changed to SM knowing the October 1, 2023 change?  Love to hear from those that changed and would not have?

I love this NEW change.  Why, it benefits my situation the most.  My cruise is in November and my guest now have two devices.  Selfish of me, of course.  

If someone wants to complain about this kind of delayed announcement, call out the awful marketing/communication most brands have, and call the brand shady.  Go for it.  Yet the only reason to still book with the brand you now have issue with is because this is an industry issue, not a brand issue.  Which in my opinion ONLY.  Wish it would change but then what would we all complain about in the future if the communication was great?

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

This is our situation. We are on the Vista Nov. 3 Panama Canal cruise (16 days). Our TA (after getting supervisor clearance to offer SM on a sold-out cruise) came back with a cost of $798 ($399 pp) to switch to SM. We thought it was pretty close to a wash for us, but the two additional benefits to us: second WiFi login (worth about $400) and "free" wine and beer (worth at least another $400) made it worth it to us to switch. Now it turns out that half of the benefit was about to be handed to us free of charge. Yes, it feels like a bit of a bait and switch. No, we would not have made the switch if we knew then what we know now. It is probably too late to switch back, but I will at least raise the question with our TA.

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree
  • Like 3

Based on this, it is clear (at least to me) that that simply MORE has really not that much effect on the passengers.  It basically bundles the basic beverage package and (mostly partial) cost of shore excursions into the total cost, making the pricing more opaque than even before.  I don’t think anybody can argue with a straight face that this change is consumer friendly and/or more transparent than before.  This change did not make anything more simpler than before, though for some of the consumers who never bothered to figure out the itemized costs of the cruise, it’s no different than before.

2 hours ago, TFree said:

This is our situation. We are on the Vista Nov. 3 Panama Canal cruise (16 days). Our TA (after getting supervisor clearance to offer SM on a sold-out cruise) came back with a cost of $798 ($399 pp) to switch to SM. We thought it was pretty close to a wash for us, but the two additional benefits to us: second WiFi login (worth about $400) and "free" wine and beer (worth at least another $400) made it worth it to us to switch. Now it turns out that half of the benefit was about to be handed to us free of charge. Yes, it feels like a bit of a bait and switch. No, we would not have made the switch if we knew then what we know now. It is probably too late to switch back, but I will at least raise the question with our TA.

Tom & Judy

We are on the same cruise and also made the switch primarily for the exact same reason. We paid a higher price difference because old "cruise only" price had increased by a few hundred bucks since our original booking. I am sure there is no going back to old pricing. We are past final payment and really want to take this cruise on the new Vista. So will get the issue out of our heads and enjoy the cruise. For what its worth (likely not much!) I will let my TA know of our displeasure and ask them to pass it on to their Oceania rep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

We are on the same cruise and also made the switch primarily for the exact same reason. We paid a higher price difference because old "cruise only" price had increased by a few hundred bucks since our original booking. I am sure there is no going back to old pricing. We are past final payment and really want to take this cruise on the new Vista. So will get the issue out of our heads and enjoy the cruise. For what its worth (likely not much!) I will let my TA know of our displeasure and ask them to pass it on to their Oceania rep.

Good idea.  This reinforces my tentative conclusion that I should call the TA.  (No point in doing it until Monday, as I think Oceania may not be open on the weekend.)  When she originally got the pricing, she tentatively made the switch but told us that it could be switched back if we didn't want it.  We said go ahead and we paid the difference.  I, too, doubt that we can switch it back now.  But I will at least ask.  I see you on the Roll Call spreadsheet.  I hope to meet you on the cruise.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Asked my TA about booking cruise only.  She said that it isn’t an option. Everyone gets simply more. Only option is with or without air.

That began recently (7/1?) but for those of us who booked cruise only before SM was implemented it will affect us. Based on showing that 2 devices per cabin effective 10/1 for OLife Choice and SM bookings shows those of us with cruise only bookings are ineligible for a second device.

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

That began recently (7/1?) but for those of us who booked cruise only before SM was implemented it will affect us. Based on showing that 2 devices per cabin effective 10/1 for OLife Choice and SM bookings shows those of us with cruise only bookings are ineligible for a second device.

If  the  2nd account is important to you then switch to SM 

Check the cost of doing so before you decide if worth it or not

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Lyn, we had cruise only (no O Life) and made the switch to SM for 3 upcoming cruises based on assumption we would not have 2nd wifi included unless we switched. I am betting that the notice showing second wifi for OLife is inaccurately worded and everyone including "cruise only" will get 2nd wifi beginning Oct 1. IMHO it would be nonsensical for Oceania to retroactively add a benefit/advantage for Olife over cruise only after they have stopped selling both products. Of course I could be wrong...would not be the first thing O has done something that seems senseless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, edgee said:

Lyn, we had cruise only (no O Life) and made the switch to SM for 3 upcoming cruises based on assumption we would not have 2nd wifi included unless we switched. I am betting that the notice showing second wifi for OLife is inaccurately worded and everyone including "cruise only" will get 2nd wifi beginning Oct 1. IMHO it would be nonsensical for Oceania to retroactively add a benefit/advantage for Olife over cruise only after they have stopped selling both products. Of course I could be wrong...would not be the first thing O has done something that seems senseless.

I guess  we will see what happens Oct 1st

You also gained the excursion credit &  the beverage deal  for what ever it cost you to upgrade

We have cruise only  & not expecting anything  extra  after Oct 1st

Time will tell 😉

Enjoy the cruises

Lyn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks…we don’t need a second account on our CA Coastal cruise. Also checked our NYC to MIA cruise in 2024 and SM is not cost effective for the way we cruise.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:44 AM, basor said:

Sent to me by TA - so it is confirmed

image.png.88bb804012f57708ccad052ff62a596b.png

Is the link to the "Click to Read More" available?  For me, this is potentially good news as I was hoping that the 2nd wifi log-in that had been advertised was independent of "Simply More" benefits.  I'd like to see what else they have to say on the subject, though.

• Like 1

You know, it really is not that difficult to log off one device if you want to use a second one and only have one account.  At least for us this is not a big deal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1